Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
Sticky Fingers
AF Enthusiast

Angry Being A UK Modeller Sucks!

Man, I hate this country (from a modelling point of view at least!)

This enjoyable hobby could turn unenjoyably costly!

Firstly, being a newbie (haven't modelled since I was eight, twenty-three years ago) I didn't know about all the stuff I'd need. Then I found out what I needed & thought okay, I'll order it from the net (cos I aint got a hobby shop nearby). So, I got a list together of all the stuff I need and surprise surprise some of the most important stuff cannot be had in the UK.

Why does the UK NOT STOCK:

TAMIYA PRIMER (I have since settled for Halfords, after some help from guys on this forum - cheers!)

TAMIYA COMPOUND (Nowhere to be seen on the web in the UK)

TAMIYA WAX (Again, nowhere to be found on UK websites)

This is extremely frustrating!

Could any of you fellow UK modellers help me out and let me know where you buy your polishing goodies (Compound & Wax)

I'm almost thinking of giving up this hobby before I've even started through lack of support in the UK, it's quite sad really!

Cheers Guys for any help you may give me
Old 01-14-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
lotus_man
AF Enthusiast

Re: Being A UK Modeller Sucks!

Yeah, it's kinda tuff being this side of the pond, but then look at the models HiroBoy knocks out. Prooves it can be done! Beside, Halfords primer is fine... I've used nothing else for years. Kit's can be bought from a load of places on the web (HLJ, 1999.co.jp amongst others), and they also carry the polishing stuff you're after. I used to be stuck for paint colors, but I've just got some laquers from JimBob for my next two projects and I have to sa they are so sweet I'll be going back for more! Don't be put off, it's much easier to get into this hobby now we have the Internet, trust me!

lotus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Don't Worry. If it wouldn't be of modelexpress.net, Canada would be worst.
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Dublinguy
AF Regular

You think you have it bad, here in Dublin we have one model shop to chose from for kits and the only paints they stock are Humbrol all be it a decent collection. But as far as compounds and stuff like that goes forget it. Normally I order my kits from hlj or hobby search (when there order system works see my other thread) and if i am running low on sand paper or that kind of supply I add them into the order.

As for compound and wax I know a lot of guys here prefer to use 1:1 car products such as Meguirs (sp) and most guys actually get better results with them.

Thanks god for my trips to Belfast so I can pick up Tamiya paints and sprays.

Ciaran
Dublinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 AM   #5
cj_baller13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cj_baller13 Send a message via Yahoo to cj_baller13

try hannants.co.uk they tend to have a great range of 1:24 cars and a large selection of paints and tools. delivery is pretty quick too

"seven straight summers, critics might not admit it, noboddy in rap did it, quite like i did it. if u did it i dont it before you, if got it i had it got mad at it and not want it no more..." Jay-Z the gift and the curse
cj_baller13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
Porsche Carrera
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Porsche Carrera
Re: Re: Being A UK Modeller Sucks!

bummer! thought you guys get more than we do here in canada. that's weird! best bet for getting in some modeling stuff is from the net. try hobbylink japan, they have pretty much everything you'll ever need and their prices are reasonable imo. good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric
Don't Worry. If it wouldn't be of modelexpress.net, Canada would be worst.
not really, if you live in toronto there are so much hobby shops floating around town.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Spitfire7
AF Enthusiast

I live in the UK, and you'd be suprised how much better off we are than some other countries for modelling supplies you know. I know we don't get Tamiya primer, but Halfords primer works just as well.
Spitfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Well as the rest have said, you're sorted for primer, as Halfords will help with this.

www.modelsinmotion.co.uk have a great range of TS sprays, + decal solution etc.. Plus plenty of tamiya kits.

Fine sandpaper can be got from Halfords - 600 - 1500. As for mirco mesh, there is a place in the UK that sell a polishing kit, but I warn you it's not cheap. http://www.ss-sci.com/

As for compound, I coudln't get any either, something to do with hobbylink (tamiya UK..??) couldn't import it any longer. So I will be using meguiars Scratch X or even just the micro mesh.

As for Wax, I've not found anything yet, but I will..

And as for kits, if the one you want is only in Japan etc then you will have to get it imported. I wouldn't give up just because of supply issues. I posted the very same post on another forum, and HiroBoy very kindly helped me out. So all the above I know because of his help. Stick with it, I've just been there.. The UK is bad, but I'm sure other countiries are just as bad..!!
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
M4tt83
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to M4tt83 Send a message via MSN to M4tt83 Send a message via Yahoo to M4tt83

I don't think it's that bad, I'm always ordering stuff from abroad and it's not much hassle. In fact, sometimes I prefer it because of greater choice and I enjoy the feeling of dealing with foreign countries.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Why so bad? I live in the middle of nowhere in country NSW Austraila. I have to order everything over the internet or wait till I make the 500km trip to Melbourne to buy pretty much anything. As a result I have a huge stock of all the things I might need.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakmech
It sucks every where to model cars in one way or another. in the US i rarely see Aoshima, Fujimi kits etc.... In Japan there is no Revell, AMT etc... you make due with what you have.

as far as your question goes... i can get Tamiya wax and compound but i havent used it for years. i use real car products by Meguiares, Black Rain, etc.... they work just as good if not better. in fact real car wax is a hundred times better then Tamiya wax. also i have a ready supply of Tamiya paint but for bodies i rarely use it. i do use Tamiya primer but i usually use real automotive paint for the color and clearcoat such as Duplicolor. if you have an automotive store nearby youve got 80% of your modeling needs right there! I go to the Automotive store more than the hobby shop these days. AND just to let you know, all you NEED to build a model is glue, an exacto and some spray paint for now. your first couple models arent going to look as good as some as the ones on this forum anyhow so just build and see if its worth spending for high dollar modelling supplies later.

Last edited by freakmech; 01-14-2005 at 07:05 PM.
freakmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:04 PM   #12
mickbench
AF Fanatic

No harm in trying to do the very best.. Got to learn somehow, and you're not going to learn if you don't get the stuff you need.

I've brought some of the products talked about on this and other forums, and it's been fun hunting them down, and even more fun learning to use them..

Ok I've had the odd failure on Test stuff, but it takes practice. He can use the Airfix kit to practice with, and then really have a good go with the Tamiya Kit.. (A much better quality kit that is).

Do agree though that some of the builds on this forum are of a high standard, but they started somewhere.. It’s perhaps because of using automotive products, it’s the reason kits sell well in certain parts of the world, and the stuff to make them look good doesn’t sell so well, hence not so well supplied. More niche as it where.
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:48 AM   #13
Sticky Fingers
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbench
No harm in trying to do the very best.. Got to learn somehow, and you're not going to learn if you don't get the stuff you need.............

He can use the Airfix kit to practice with, and then really have a good go with the Tamiya Kit.. (A much better quality kit that is).
Couldn't agree more about if you're gonna try & do it properly you need the right stuff. I'm like that though, okay my models won't be as good as anyone elses on this site but I HAVE to use the same materials or I ain't gonna get anywhere.

I decided to check out HJL and you guys are right the prices are reasonable. The only reason I didn't want to order outside the UK via the web is because 1) I don't like using my credit card over the net. and 2) I thought the postage prices would be astronomical.

However, all my prayers have been answered because HJL accepts PayPal (which is what I use for my purchases on the web) and their Postage costs are very well priced.

I never said I had a problem with getting kit as I get that through ebay or using UK internet sites. Also paint and tools I haven't had a problem with as I use the likes of netmerchants.co.uk or modelsinmotion.co.uk. It was just frustrating I couldn't get compound & wax here, but that's sorted now cos you friendly chaps told me about HJL.

Once again, cheers for the help. My questions will become less regular by the way. It's just cos I'm starting out!

In Progress : Peugeot 206 WRC '02 Safari
Old 01-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #14
Jurva
AF Enthusiast

Try live in Finland.
Same problems. Cant get any modelling stuff. Bad weather all year. etc.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #15
mike united
AF Enthusiast

Modelzone arent too bad. I was in the Manchester store a while back & i wasnt dissapointed, thought they had a decent range of Tamiya & Fujimi kits (but no Aoshima), TS paints & wax, i THINK they had compound too. Their web site is still under construction but when its up & running it could be a decent place for you to shop.
http://www.modelzone.co.uk/stores.html

Mike
mike united is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling