Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
DrNerdlington
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1994 Buick Century 3.1L running hot

Hello good folks. This is my first post on your forums. I have looked around a bit, and I can already tell I'm going to like this place.

I found this forum because I am having a very tricky problem with my Buick.

For approximately the last 4 months, it has been (at least according to the heat gauge on the dash) running pretty hot. Not overheating, but getting close. And it doesn't take long for it to get there. This all seems to have begun right around the time that my father and I flushed the coolant system.

Since then, I have replaced some parts, and learned a few things in the process.

I learned that there are bleeder screws which can be opened to let air bubbles out. And I have heard that the 3.1L is especially susceptible to them.

New parts which I have installed:
- thermostat
- coolant temperature sensor
- radiator cap
- upper radiator hose
- lower radiator hose

I have checked the water pump and it seems to be perfectly fine. No leaks. No signs of bad bearings. And it circulates coolant just fine.

I have not been witness to either cooling fan, primary or auxiliary, switching on in a while.

The exact symptoms are these:

The heat gauge does not take long to get to mid-way point, but will sit at that point for a bit if the vehicle remains stationary. Once the vehicle is in significant motion, the heat gauge will climb fairly quickly, especially with moderately high RPMs. It WON'T touch the red though, but will get very very close to it. The car runs fine. It does seem to be a bit underpowered, but I am comparing it to my fiance's 1996 Olds Cutlass Ciera, which I believe has a different transmission. My Buick does not seem to have lost power since this problem arose. The cooling fans no longer kick on. The oil appears fine. The coolant as well. With the radiator cap off, coolant does not bubble out or shoot out.

I made sure after changing upper and lower hoses to fill the radiator, let the car run long enough for the thermostat to open, and then slowly poured more coolant into the radiator until it was full again. And the reservoir is at proper level and the the reservoir hose s not clogged.

I am not SURE, but I don't believe the radiator is clogged.

I believe that covers it, at least as well as I can.

BTW, I do not know where the fan relays are, otherwise I would test the fans to see if they still work.

Anyone know what the heck is up with my Buick? Also, it has 97,xxx miles on it, and the transmission fluid is at proper level and looks normal.

Thanks guys!!
DrNerdlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1994 Buick Century 3.1L running hot

First, did you bleed the cooling system, should be at least one bleeder fitting may be near the tstat housing, then you need to get an accurate temp to see if the engine is reaching 222 degrees, which would turn on the fan. A scanner is the most accurate way to do this.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
DrNerdlington
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I bled the coolant system, at both the bleeder on top of the water pump, and at the thermostat housing, multiple times to be sure.

What sort of scanner is compatible with my car? Can I get something which will work with an android tablet?
DrNerdlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

94 is a transition year, you may have obd 1.5, if so you would a regular scanner that includes that odd year in it's program
Old 02-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Yes, it does sound like you have an air pocket......I burp them at the coolant pipe that comes out from under the upper plenum, and has a hose attached to it going to the water pump....release clamp.....put a rag underneath and stick a pick or small screwdriver between pipe and hose at the top and let air escape.....

I also use this at the radiator cap:

Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century