Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > General Tools
General Tools Discussions about tools - there are thousands of various tools you can use to work on your car. Do you have the right one for the job?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Knuckles69
AF Newbie

Question Broken bolt: Good idea or bad idea?

Well, I snapped a throttle body bolt off while trying to instal a throttle body spacer tuesday. Luckily it was the third bolt, so the throttle body is aligned and tight at the moment. Unfortunately its one of the ones with the stud that holds the air cleaner cover down so it has to be fixed.

I have not taken it apart yet, but i expect to have about 1/8" of the broken bolt still showing. That's not enough to double nut it and back it out and I don't have access to a welder to weld a nut on the top. I do have red thread locker though...

Apparently Red TL is good to 230ft/lbs. I'm considering using the TL to "weld" the nut to the threads of the broken bolt. Good idea or Bad idea? worth a try?

I would grab it with vise grips, but I'm not sure I want to tear the threads up just yet. I have a brand new easy-out, but it's new because I've broken the last 3 I used, which turned into an even bigger nightmare. Lack of good options...

Opinions and/or educated answers are appreciated!
Knuckles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Broken bolt: Good idea or bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles69 View Post
Well, I snapped a throttle body bolt off while trying to instal a throttle body spacer tuesday. Luckily it was the third bolt, so the throttle body is aligned and tight at the moment. Unfortunately its one of the ones with the stud that holds the air cleaner cover down so it has to be fixed.

I have not taken it apart yet, but i expect to have about 1/8" of the broken bolt still showing. That's not enough to double nut it and back it out and I don't have access to a welder to weld a nut on the top. I do have red thread locker though...

Apparently Red TL is good to 230ft/lbs. I'm considering using the TL to "weld" the nut to the threads of the broken bolt. Good idea or Bad idea? worth a try?

I would grab it with vise grips, but I'm not sure I want to tear the threads up just yet. I have a brand new easy-out, but it's new because I've broken the last 3 I used, which turned into an even bigger nightmare. Lack of good options...

Opinions and/or educated answers are appreciated!
I would soak it with P-B Blaster and hit it with a hammer a few times. I would try a turbo socket. They make 1/4,3/8,and 1/2 drive turbo sockets.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Broken bolt: Good idea or bad idea?

You really wont know what method to try until you remove the T/body. Wont hurt to try your locktite as well as the PB and hammer method,(my preference), or putting some heat to it if its cast iron as long as theres something to grab onto. I don't recall you saying what engine this is,if its cast iron or aluminum and if the bolt hole goes all the way though the manifold. If its broken flush,(Murphy's), you'll be drillin' it out. Just be sure to pack it full of rags to keep crap outta the manifold and to have something to "pilot" the drill bit to keep it straight. Removing the manifold would be best.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > General Tools