Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:27 AM   #16
Allbert
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Pics of the GM trans PCS problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrater
I have no problem in you using these pictures but I am not the owner of these I just copied them from a friend of mine who did all the work. I am sure he wouldn't mind you using them. I also perfer not to get the credit for them. If you want I can email the person who took those pics and ask him if he wouldn't mind.
That would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #17
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

Re: Pics of the GM trans PCS problem

Check your PM box.
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Old 01-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #18
mshatn
AF Newbie

I want to ask if bad selonid let the transmissin give a whining sound, which will be there even when you stop and shift to "P" or "N" just prssing on the accelrator will make it appear and increase with increasing the pressure on it?
This is what is hapining with me the harsh shift starts only when I have this sound.
Thanks for help
Old 01-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #19
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshatn
I want to ask if bad selonid let the transmissin give a whining sound, which will be there even when you stop and shift to "P" or "N" just prssing on the accelrator will make it appear and increase with increasing the pressure on it?
This is what is hapining with me the harsh shift starts only when I have this sound.
Thanks for help
Yes whining can be present with a bad or sticking PCS solenoid because if a Class "D" DTC fault such as P18XX is present it will command high line pressure and disable shift adapts. Class "D" faults normally do not trigger a SES/Mil light but are stored for retrieval by a trans capable scanner.

I had the same problem with harsh shifts and whining but it wasn't that bad and would only occur about once a week. After turning the ignition off and re-starting the problem would cure itself. I used Sea Foam additive and then Lubegard. It has been good for 30K miles so far. Best part was it only cost me $20.00.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 01-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #20
mshatn
AF Newbie

Sorry but I have no experince with autmatic transmissions, what do you mean by :

" Sea Foam additive and then Lubegard"

and is there any risks of using it
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor3400
Yes whining can be present with a bad or sticking PCS solenoid because if a Class "D" DTC fault such as P18XX is present it will command high line pressure and disable shift adapts. Class "D" faults normally do not trigger a SES/Mil light but are stored for retrieval by a trans capable scanner.

I had the same problem with harsh shifts and whining but it wasn't that bad and would only occur about once a week. After turning the ignition off and re-starting the problem would cure itself. I used Sea Foam additive and then Lubegard. It has been good for 30K miles so far. Best part was it only cost me $20.00.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #21
Christophe Salvain
AF Regular

Where is the GM trans Pressure Control Solenoid ?

Hi group,

I own a 2000 Chevy Venture. After intermitent trans hard shifting + whining
sound, I need to change the trans PCS (#10478146) but i dont know where is
it located (nothing in the Haynes).

Thanks for any insight (picture etc etc ...)!

Christophe
Old 08-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #22
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Where is the GM trans Pressure Control Solenoid ?

Your Chevy Venture should have a 4T65E autotransaxle.

Therefore, the PCS solenoid is located under the side cover assembly which is the driver's side of it. The solenoid is located on the left hand side of the valve body once the side cover is removed.

This is not really a DIY job and a real PITA to do.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #23
varet2000
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 Century 3.1 V6. Few days ago, my wife said that car does not run anymore. She had to turn off and restart the car few time to make it home. I red the posted problem about transmission from other Century owners and find out that PCS solenoid needs to be change. I got an aftermarket PCS for $38.00, and changed it. It fixes the problem and thank you all for giving out the info. Now my car runs and shifts all fine, just sliepps in the morning for few minutes. Then it gets normal after worm up the engine. I add for trany additive, so I hope it did not miss up my transmission. But over all, the car runs and shifts fine. It was kind of hard to replace the PCS. First, you need to remove the axle. Then you need to have jack under engine to remove the driver side engine mount which is on body panel. Then open the bolts around the panel which is about 12 bolts. The gasket is reusable, so make sure you do not hurt the gasket (it costs $9500 in dealer). The panel will not come off all away, so you need to detach it from trany and just push it back about 5-6". You might need to pull the A/C hoses up carefully to give some room to panel to move. After you move the panel back, you will see the PCS solenoid right on top. It has a small clip under it, which can take it off with a sharp stick. Be careful not to drop it down in panel. It would be so hard to find it since the space is too small. After you take off the PCS, you might want to blow air on hole to make sure nothing is stock in there. Someone told me that I could take off the filter inside the hole to clean it, but I did not try it. Place the PCS on board, and place the clip in there again. Again, make sure do not drop the clip inside the panel. Then connect the wire in PCS, and have the panel back it place. It should fix the problem for you. I would say, do not change the transmission oil before you test drive the car. See if you will have any sliepping problem after replacing the PCS. I’ve done it and now cannot find out what make the trany sliepps now.
I hope I can help you people out there with this problem. We had this car for 7 years since we bought it brand new. It is a nice car and give me the GM quality which I always wanted. This is a small problem, and anyone car fix it without spending too much money. Ask me any question you have, and I will be glad to help you.

Big Question?
My car only sliepps in the morning until gets worm after I replace the PCS. Does anyone know why? I add some ATF, so maybe was low in cold, but did not help.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #24
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by varet2000
I have a 2001 Century 3.1 V6. Few days ago, my wife said that car does not run anymore. She had to turn off and restart the car few time to make it home. I red the posted problem about transmission from other Century owners and find out that PCS solenoid needs to be change. I got an aftermarket PCS for $38.00, and changed it. It fixes the problem and thank you all for giving out the info. Now my car runs and shifts all fine, just sliepps in the morning for few minutes. Then it gets normal after worm up the engine. I add for trany additive, so I hope it did not miss up my transmission. But over all, the car runs and shifts fine. It was kind of hard to replace the PCS. First, you need to remove the axle. Then you need to have jack under engine to remove the driver side engine mount which is on body panel. Then open the bolts around the panel which is about 12 bolts. The gasket is reusable, so make sure you do not hurt the gasket (it costs $9500 in dealer). The panel will not come off all away, so you need to detach it from trany and just push it back about 5-6". You might need to pull the A/C hoses up carefully to give some room to panel to move. After you move the panel back, you will see the PCS solenoid right on top. It has a small clip under it, which can take it off with a sharp stick. Be careful not to drop it down in panel. It would be so hard to find it since the space is too small. After you take off the PCS, you might want to blow air on hole to make sure nothing is stock in there. Someone told me that I could take off the filter inside the hole to clean it, but I did not try it. Place the PCS on board, and place the clip in there again. Again, make sure do not drop the clip inside the panel. Then connect the wire in PCS, and have the panel back it place. It should fix the problem for you. I would say, do not change the transmission oil before you test drive the car. See if you will have any sliepping problem after replacing the PCS. I’ve done it and now cannot find out what make the trany sliepps now.
I hope I can help you people out there with this problem. We had this car for 7 years since we bought it brand new. It is a nice car and give me the GM quality which I always wanted. This is a small problem, and anyone car fix it without spending too much money. Ask me any question you have, and I will be glad to help you.

Big Question?
My car only sliepps in the morning until gets worm after I replace the PCS. Does anyone know why? I add some ATF, so maybe was low in cold, but did not help.

Welcome to AF.

Sorry but this is a very old thread and has been closed. Just start a new post addressing your issue.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century