Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > MDX | Pilot
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
JeepForever
AF Regular

Honda Pilot - Air Conditoner Works when Idling

I have a 2007 Honda Pilot and recently the air conditioner (A/C) began switching between cold and warm, even when the controls are set to full cold. When driving for a few minutes, it turns to warm. When I get to a stoplight it gets cold again. It remains cold when idling, until I accelerate, at which time it gets warm within a few minutes. I have recharged it with a full (20 oz.) bottle of "AC Pro". When recharging, the gauge indicated that it was low, and I brought it back up to the green. I've read plenty about whether the "do it yourself" kits are worth it. All that debate aside, the issue is no different than before I recharged it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Honda Pilot - Air Conditoner Works when Idling

In this case I would think you can rest your case on that debate. Its time for someone in the know, like a real "A/C Pro" to put some guages on it and diagnose the system for you.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
EdKenleyFordUT
AF Newbie

I'm not to familiar with the AC units on the Honda Pilots...oh but it looks like this was posted a while ago. Hope you got the issue resolved.
EdKenleyFordUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
JeepForever
AF Regular

Based on some other research, it could possibly be a bad compressor or bad clutch for the compressor. I'll take it to the dealer this weekend and see what they come back with. My prediction is $500 parts and $360 labor, plus they'll probably discover the source of antifreeze smell. Let's see what they say.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
JeepForever
AF Regular

UPDATE: I checked the coolant there's a leak in or around the radiator. I added about a gallon (it was 50% low!). I then took the Honda Pilot for a 25 minute test drive with the A/C on full cold. The AC works great, and continued to remain cool when stopped and on the highway. It appears that with the vehicle temp rising (when the coolant was low), the A/C shut off.

There's definitely a leak in the radiator, as I can see the Honda blue fluid on both sides of the radiator, and splashing around the lower hoses.

Now I just need to decide if I should let the dealer handle this, or if I should replace the radiator myself.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
JeepForever
AF Regular

Honda dealer quoted $714 to replace the radiator. I bought one from Rockauto and did the job myself. It's definitely a bit of work to remove everything just to get to the radiator. It took about 6 hours total. Here are some lessons learned and tips for others:
1. Buy some extra plastic clips for the bumper cover and splash panels. Some clips will break.
2. Cleaning solution and hot water (from a garden hose) really simplify cleaning the old (leaked) antifreeze out of the engine compartment
3. Buy 2 gallons of Honda antifreeze (even if the dealer suggests only one). I used about 1.25.
4. Two 3/8" bolts make good plugs for the transmission lines when disconnecting them.
Overall it was a good project.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > MDX | Pilot