Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #61
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Recall

You may want to press them on it. Browse here and select Ford Windstar and they'll come right up, even the most recent one. Somebody probably fat-fingered your VIN or something. Any Ford dealership should be well aware of these axle recalls by now. I'm really surprised they'd risk the liability.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/....aspx?lang=eng

Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database

Transport Canada Recall # 2015437

Recall Date 2015/09/29 Notification Type Safety Mfr System Structure Manufacturer Recall Number 15S27 Units Affected 58,858 Category Light Truck & Van Recall Details On certain vehicles that had rear axle reinforcement brackets installed as part of safety recall 2010-284, the brackets may not have been installed properly, which could limit the effectiveness of the recall service repair in addressing the safety defect. Safety recall 2010-284 was conducted to address the risk that the combined effects of corrosion and stress can lead to a complete fracture of the axle. If the rear axle fractures, and the reinforcement brackets were not installed properly, vehicle handling may be adversely affected, increasing the risk of a crash. Correction: Dealers will inspect the rear axle reinforcement brackets that were installed as part of recall 2010-284. If one or both brackets are found improperly installed, the dealer will replace the rear axle. MakeModelModel Year(s) Affected FORD WINDSTAR 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #62
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

phil,

Check underneath and look for cracks, the adhesive, and measure the location according to that PDF. Maybe you can find something. Here's my "before" pic. The service advisor sent this to my phone:

Axle_Crack.jpg

Here's a couple of "after" shots. (It's pretty, isn't it??)

Axle_New_1_sm.jpg

Axle_New_2_sm.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scubacat For This Useful Post:
phil-l (12-26-2015), webbug (10-10-2016)
Old 11-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #63
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

Ill try again but as far as i see both of my vans havent had the brackets installed but ill crawl under again and look but the dealerships locally say there is no recall on either van so ill see what they say with this new article
Old 11-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #64
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Are they licensed and registered in Canada? If so, and you still don't get anywhere, just call Ford directly and explain the situation. Have your VIN #s available and just be calm and patient. It will get resolved.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #65
smata67
AF Regular

I took my 1999 Windstar in for the recall, fully expecting them to replace the axle for free or require the $300 copay. I had not brought it in for the previous bracket recall, so the axle was "unbracketed." I hadn't taken it in before since I have prior experience with Ford and had no confidence in their fix, so I never had them put on the brackets. Well, I go to pick up the vehicle and IT HAS NEW BRACKETS ON IT! I had not for an instant considered that they were still putting brackets on after all the bracket issues. So I told them I wanted a new axle and would gladly pay the $300 and am waiting on their call, since they need to call Ford for authorization. So, do not assume that they will replace the axle at this point, THEY ARE STILL INSTALLING BRACKETS!!!!! If you want the axle replaced, you have to specifically tell them to and make sure they know you do not want the brackets. What a hassle.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #66
smata67
AF Regular

So according to the dealer there is no $300 offer to replace the axle no matter what and I am really not up to fighting for it, so I will just accept the bracket repair. Hopefully it hasn't made things worse (though I have a strong suspicion, based purely on previous history with Ford, that it probably does).
Old 07-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #67
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post
So according to the dealer there is no $300 offer to replace the axle no matter what and I am really not up to fighting for it, so I will just accept the bracket repair. Hopefully it hasn't made things worse (though I have a strong suspicion, based purely on previous history with Ford, that it probably does).
Did you receive the recall letter in the mail? If your van has always been registered in Georgia, it may not qualify. Nevertheless, call the 800# to verify just to be sure. The axle replacement is only valid until 10/31/2016 so I'd get on it. The 800# is on the bottom of the TSB. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V608-6622.pdf

I had to do something similar with Toyota years ago where the dealer wouldn't fix a safety issue with the power seat adjuster documented in a TSB claiming that they had to be able to reproduce the issue (which was unlikely as it was completely random). I called the Toyota customer relations 800# and the dealer service manager called me the next day and told me to come by and they replaced it immediately. (I then learned the lesson to not use the dealer for anything but recalls..)

EDIT: The brackets were limited to certain states as well, so if your van weren't covered by the new recall, the brackets wouldn't apply either. Point that out when you call if necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to scubacat For This Useful Post:
webbug (10-10-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #68
smata67
AF Regular

Well, the letter said originally registered in the recall state or currently registered. This van just happens to have been registered in Texas for a year, spent 15 years in Virginia (qualifying for the recall, that is why I get the letters), but has been in GA for the last two, so actually, the criteria technically doesn't apply. I will live with the brackets and just replace the axle if it ever breaks. The car is not too bad as far as rust goes, though they did do the front bracket repair and also took care of the switch on the brake booster.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #69
webbug
AF Newbie

Thanks, Scubacat!
I talked with our Ford dealer in Kansas City Mo. and they will replace our axle for $300.00
They said ours looks good...but we still have the option to replace it.
The word "New" was never mentioned in the letter.
I wanted to be sure it was actually a NEW axle and not taken from a used Windstar.
Your photos helped a lot... I plan on contacting them soon to have the axle replaced.
They also said the new axle will have the brackets as well. Thanks, again!

UPDATE: NO BRACKETS ON THE NEW AXLE

Last edited by webbug; 10-18-2016 at 11:49 PM.
webbug is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar