Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
CaptAdams35
AF Newbie

Red face '03 Grand Am GT Side Window Replacement

My window got stuck and wouldn't go down with the track. I decided it would be an easy fix, but once inside the door... I'm left baffled. First off, to take off the panel, you have to remove the 2 screws that are visible. One is at the door handle and the other is just under the armrest. They require a #2 phillips head, I suggest magnetic in case you're working on it in the driveway and it's a steep slant. Next you have to remove the reflector at the bottom of the panel. A flat head screwdriver works fine, just work your way around the side until it comes free. Behind that is another phillips head, the #2 works, but found that a medium flat head works fine too. These are about 1 1/2" long but have coarse threads and come out quickly. Next, remove the tweeter housing (GT model with Monsoon), and disconnect the wiring harness. Next, use your flat head to lift up the driver's side door control unit. There are 2 metal clips that use tension to secure it at the top and bottom, and comes out easily. Behind that, there is another large screw like the one you removed from behind the reflector. Once removed, there's a small indention in the panel at the very bottom, slide your fingers or a pry bar up into it and gently pull the panel away from the door. The guide pins will be visible and you can tell where to put your fingers to remove the panel. Lift and remove, this exposes the insulation which is held on by a light and tacky adhesive. It's very lightweight and the wind will carry it to your neighbor's yard if not stored properly.... anyways, now you're into the meat n potatoes. There are 2 channels, one on each side (front and back) make sure the rubber felt-lined guide is on the track on each side. Now lower the window about 1/3 of the way to expose both cradles. This is where it gets confusing... I can't tell if there was an adhesive there to hold the glass in place or if gravity is the only thing that kept it on track.... anyone knowing how to finish this project would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking some industrial double-sided foam tape would do the trick, but not certain how that would hold up against the friction of the window going up and down. Thanks in advance and happy mechanicin'

Last edited by CaptAdams35; 07-30-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled word.... sorry
CaptAdams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: '03 Grand Am GT Side Window Replacement

Welcome to AF !

Actualy all these models have the triangle piece where the tweeters are whether you have tweeters or not.

Here is a link with the meat and potatoes. lol
http://www.a1electric.com/grandam.htm

Also if your window wasnt going all the way up or down then its your regulator which has a cable that lifts/lowers the window.
If you look down into the door thru the top you'll probly see where the cable goes into the housing, and its frayed and wont go thru the guides.

The glass is held to the regulator lift by two plastic clips, these also tend to break off.
You can buy these new at a stealership. They must be epoxied on and allowed to dry for 24 hrs or it wont work/hold.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
skulldrinker
AF Newbie

What was the name of the epoxy that was used?
skulldrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Clips are epoxied to the glass, the clips are held to the regulator with a single bolt....any epoxy that will glue plastic to glass....

Remove the bolts, and the glass comes out.....Are the clips broken and have to be replaced?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
skulldrinker
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Clips are epoxied to the glass, the clips are held to the regulator with a single bolt....any epoxy that will glue plastic to glass....

Remove the bolts, and the glass comes out.....Are the clips broken and have to be replaced?

I went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought PermaOxy item # 84107 made by Permatex. It's a 30min high strenght epoxy it says. Bonds Ceramic, Concrete, Fabric, Glass, Metal, and Rubber. Permanent Strenght up to 3500 PSI.

I haven't installed it yet.

OH and i just read the back it says it will NOT bond most polyethylene or polypropylene plastics. What does that mean? Do you think I can use it?

I am doing this to a 2002 GA
skulldrinker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
installation , side , window
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM