Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Falcon | Fairmont | FPV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Falcon | Fairmont | FPV Australian and American versions. Includes the XR6 and XR8 as well as FPV models like the Typhon.
View Poll Results: which one do you prefer?
Ford Falcon BA XR6 Turbo 21 87.50%
Holden VY Commodore ss 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 04:21 AM   #1
R32's Kick ass
AF Newbie

XR6 kicks a comanhore

a test in the current 'motor' mag has confirmed that the XR6 turbo is better then the ss. hopefuly ford fans can put a bigger turbo in there considering that it only pumps out 6psi and the intercooler has to be up sised(it is puuny )
Old 10-25-2002, 04:44 AM   #2
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
Well- it is no suprise really- imagine what the XR8 will do
Old 10-25-2002, 09:25 PM   #3
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

While I respect the opinion in Motor I've decided that I'll reserve judgment until I get to drive one for myself back to back vs the SS. Both are evidently fine cars but my preferences may be slightly different - and I'll wait until Ford get around to putting me on their drive programme (and get them in the dealerships for me to pedal) first.

I guess I'm in the market demo for both so it will be interesting to see how the sales programmes stack up too. Holden dealerships have treated me weirdly in the past and I have had good experiences with Ford on the whole with one large exception.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:32 AM   #4
farking_funny
AF Newbie

I don't think the XR8 will be all that much quicker than the XR6 in a straight line.

But the extra torque will definately help through the twisty stuff.
Who needs a V8 when you can get a 6 with 320HP?
Old 11-03-2002, 09:49 AM   #5
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by farking_funny
I don't think the XR8 will be all that much quicker than the XR6 in a straight line.

But the extra torque will definately help through the twisty stuff.
Who needs a V8 when you can get a 6 with 320HP?
That turbo 6 also generates 450nm from only 2,000rpm all the way through to 4,500, with a maximum of 472nm. What locally available V8 including the torquey new Ford 5.4 can match that low-rpm grunt figure?

By comparison the VX GenIII V8 peaks at 465nm @ 4,400.

Although XR8 needs to show itself to be even quicker for magazine readers than it's little brother (eg high speed times like 0-400 metres & up) I too would be surprised if there's much difference in real street-performance driving at even semi-legal road speeds.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:53 PM   #6
farking_funny
AF Newbie

The XR8 will have 260Kw and 500Nm. Will be interesting to see how the 6 cylinder driveline holds up under the stress of all that torque.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:55 PM   #7
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

I've heard - although TD or P Stewart will know for sure - that:

- The XR6T manual uses the long-serving BTR T5 (as do all the 6 cylinder Falcons) made in Australia
- The XR8 manual will use the mexican(?) built and stronger but more expensive Tremec 3650 that was used in the FTE T Series...
- That torque is reduced by the engine management in 1st thru 3rd gears in the manual XR6T to preserve driveline
- XR6T is standard with limited slip differential...

I'm more worried about the driveshafts esp as the BA has a longer wheelbase - I recall lots of problems with the EA-EL series driveshafts which ended up with speed limiting put in place....
Old 11-09-2002, 11:24 AM   #8
XR6 Martin
AF Newbie

The Falcons were speed limited due to the combination of the Auto and the long driveshaft, not solely cause of the driveshaft....

Manuals Falcon sedans arnt speed limited. (I think AU utes were tho)

Plus the BA may be a bit longer, but it now finally has a 2-piece driveshaft.

One problem with the XR6T is that its restricted, even just an exhaust on it will cause the computer to drop back the timing thus keeping the torque to 450Nm, boost upgrades and bigger intercooler will cause the computer to cut out cylinders.... Ford have tried hard to make the computer hack-proof, so it will be a while before we see any high powered XR6Ts around....

Although I have heard a rumour of an XR6T putting out 290RWKW (~400Kw at engine) with just 15psi, exhaust, intercooler and modded computer.....
Old 11-09-2002, 05:34 PM   #9
farking_funny
AF Newbie

Re: XR6 kicks a comanhore

Quote:
Originally posted by R32's Kick ass
a test in the current 'motor' mag has confirmed that the XR6 turbo is better then the ss. hopefuly ford fans can put a bigger turbo in there considering that it only pumps out 6psi and the intercooler has to be up sised(it is puuny )
The XR6 manual is quick, but if you have an auto, you won't even drag off a Supercharged S at the lights.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:35 PM   #10
XR6 Martin
AF Newbie

Re: Re: XR6 kicks a comanhore

Quote:
Originally posted by farking_funny

The XR6 manual is quick, but if you have an auto, you won't even drag off a Supercharged S at the lights.
Auto and manual XR6T are as quick as each other, the auto may be even quicker actually, the test your reffering to was a non turbo XR6 vs Supercharged S Commo.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:04 AM   #11
Seņor Deanodriver
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Seņor Deanodriver Send a message via Yahoo to Seņor Deanodriver
I would like to take an XR6 Turbo for a spin, I reckon they'd go pretty hard, although it does have more power than the SS, it also weighs more, however, it would probably be easier to increase power in the XR6 (intercooler, up boost, etc...)
Old 12-13-2002, 08:37 PM   #12
Go team
AF Newbie

to get 320hp with the xr6 u have to do it up but the xr8 comes standard with about 300hp or more :finger:
Old 12-14-2002, 12:38 AM   #13
farking_funny
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: XR6 kicks a comanhore

Quote:
Originally posted by XR6 Martin

Auto and manual XR6T are as quick as each other, the auto may be even quicker actually, the test your reffering to was a non turbo XR6 vs Supercharged S Commo.
I think I did mistakenly quote the wrong test. Thanks for setting me straight

And Seņor Deanodriver, its not as simple as upping boost or whacking a larger intercooler on. The ECU has been specifically programmed to limit torque in order to prevent drivetrain damage. So the engine management need to be re-programmed.

Go team, you're an idiot!

Old 12-14-2002, 05:18 PM   #14
Go team
AF Newbie

IM just saying what i have heard :finger:
Old 05-21-2003, 12:01 AM   #15
dc_todd
AF Newbie

Unichip is doing a piggy back system that has allowed the ecu to be tweeked, I think it was herrod? in this months motor mag have done a 300 kw XR6T only by doing ecu mods! so what will happen when a few other cheap mods are done and what can happen with big $$? in relation to the driveline the weak link will prove to be the box, people are talking about the upspeced au Te and TS-50 box, or even the getrag 6 speed!.
in all a very viable project car.