Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Oddjob
AF Newbie

What was the Heavy Chevy Chevelle?

Was it just a stripe package, or did it come with other options? What colors were available? I've only ever seen one, about 20 years ago. They must be really rare. I'm not referring to the Heavy Chevy pick up trucks which came out a few years later.
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
silver_chevelle
AF Newbie

Re: What was the Heavy Chevy Chevelle?

1971-1972 was the heavy chevy....it was just a stripe kit. weather or not they actually weighed more im not sure of...but yah, stripes on the side that say "Heavy Chevy".
silver_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
vinman
AF Newbie

I had a friend that had one. Plain chevelle with 350 4 barrel. Plain bench seat and rubber floor mat, kinda like a nova.
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
68chevelle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 68chevelle

umm i think they actauly did weigh more. i think i read something somewhere about them weighing more becuase of insurance prices were rising and it was a way to make insurance cheeper, but dont take my words as gold. i only slighly remember soemthing like that i could be totaly wrong.
68chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Chevelle71
AF Newbie

inofrmation about these cars is scarce. i have found some sites a while back that mentioned the heavy chevy's to have the same options as the ss except for the 454 engine. I dont recall colors. if i read the cowl tag right, then my 71 is a heavy chevy, i think the numbers were 13437, i dont quite remember and i cant check right now since its in the shop.
Chevelle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
molhannah
AF Regular

Along with those 19,293 Super Sports, Chevrolet sold another 6,727 "Heavy Chevy" Chevelles in 1971. Introduced midyear, the Heavy Chevy package, RPO YF3, was an obvious response to changing attitudes, as well as an attempt to sell performance imagery to those who probably couldn't afford to operate or insure one of Chevrolet's few surviving super cars. RPO YF3 was nothing more than window dressing, although buyers could equip a Heavy Chevy with any V-8, from the standard Chevelle's Turbo Fire 307 to the LS3 Turbo Jet 400 (the LS5 was not available). YF3 features included the Super Sport's domed hood with tie down pins; special body stripes; Heavy Chevy decals on the hood, fenders, and deck lid; black accente grille and headlight bezels; and 14x6 Rally wheets without trim rings. Instead of $1000, the approximate askig price for the stillborn 1971 LS6, RPO YF3 added slightly more than a hundered bucks to a 1971 Chevelle sticker. Whether that represented an attractive offer or not is your call.
molhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
DPelletier
AF Newbie

Good info Molhannah,
The Heavy Chevy had nothing to do with the car's weight!
It was a low dollar/cheap insurance sport version quite similar to Oldmobiles Rallye 350 and Pontiac's GT-37.

Dave
Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
droveahevychevy
AF Newbie

I was reading your comments and just had to add some information about the 71 Heavy Chevy that I owned. I bought it new off the lot in 1971. I lived in Victoria, Texas and was one of four in the surrounding counties to have one. Of course the other three were guys. These were the only ones I every saw anywhere I went. I know there was one yellow with white stripes, one was red with black stripes, a silver one with black stripes and mine was the color of a brand new penny with white stripes. It was a 350 with three speed on the floor. All the basics that you mentioned, but I was told when I bought it that it had a heavy duty rear end suspension. I paid $3,200. right off the lot. I sure wish I had that car now. God I loved it, had a close friend of mine taught me how to speed shift it and I though I was in the Indy 500 everywhere I went. We lived in a small town and we did a lot of street racing. Great times were had in that car. :0)
droveahevychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
kitten2686
AF Newbie

not much difference with the heavy chevy. mainly cosmetic.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
dandy_lion
AF Newbie

Cool Re: What was the Heavy Chevy Chevelle?

Mine was a 1972 Heavy Chevy, orange with black vinyl top, stripes were black. Had hood wires/pins. I paid $3400. Made 11 mpg!! Of course gas was 25cents a gallon. Was absolutely worthless in snow, rear-wheel drive and all. Supposedly had "posi-traction" but really didn't notice. I wish I had that car back too. But at 7 years of age (the car, I mean) at the time I sold it, it was worn out. It had about 105,000 miles on it.
dandy_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #11
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Chevy was also tapping into the Road Runner thing, an inexpensive car that looked like a serious performer.

And you didn't even have to take the performance if all you wanted was "the look".

According to a four-car Motor Trend comparison test around 1973, the HC package also included some handling parts in the front and rear suspension. Other cars tested were Ford Gran Torino, Pontiac GTO and Dodge Charger.

Last edited by sub006; 08-31-2010 at 05:05 AM.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
gonefshn0192
AF Newbie

My '71 Heavy Chevy had a 4 bolt main instead of the normal 2 bolt main. Mine was the blue with white stripes, like the one in the attached picture.

I never tested it to the limits, but did come close one time.......
Scared my girlfriend really good that night!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71HeavyChevy.jpg (72.0 KB, 3 views)
gonefshn0192 is offline   Reply With Quote