Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 08:17 PM   #1
AEstud
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to AEstud Send a message via AIM to AEstud
Explanation

How does a turbocharger work and what is the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger???
AEstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 08:51 PM   #2
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
In the simplest form, the supercharger is always on. The turbo charger has to be spooled up to use the power. The difference between a turbo and a supercharger is that a turbo is run by exhaust gasses and a supercharger works via a belt driven system from the crank.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 11-14-2001, 10:38 AM   #3
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Also, some more in depth info.
A turbo and a supercharger are two forms of forced induction. That pretty much means that they stuff as much air into the cylinders as possible. Some may have what is called an intercooler which cools the air, the benefit, cooler air means more power. Also, if you are palnning on getting one you have to look into which is more important to you.

If you get a supercharger, like was said, the power is instant because it is belt driven but it also uses a little power to run it. The other downside is you WILL get bad gas mileage. Since the supercharger is always boosting, doesn't matter if you are going 50, 5, or idle, it is boosting and using gas.

If you get a turbo, like was said, there is turbo lag. Being that the turbo runs off the exaust it has too spool up, but once it does, ohh baby. There is no power usage off the engine, and when you are not getting on the gas the turbo is sucking in air so you can get great gas mileage. They are working on reducing turbo lag and there are turbos that do it very well.

Over all I feel the turbo is better. That is what I have in a couple of my cars and I get 42 mpg going 80 on the freeway, but the cars are four bangers and go 0-60 between 6.0 and 6.5 seconds.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 06:24 PM   #4
Seabass
AF Newbie

A blower doesn't mean bad gas milage. It still responds to throttle. A supercharger is not always "boosting" either. Centerfugials alot of times don't start making power till 3K rpm. And usually don't make full boost until somewhere around redline. You will lose some gas milage....but unless your always on it...it won't be bad.

Turbo lag is a result of the shop or person who's installing a turbo. Back in the earlier days of turbos (even in the 80s) it was a bigger issue. But there are more turbos availible and they are better designed. Problem is that there are too many people that slap the biggest turbo they can find into their car. It's called matching your turbo to your engine. Taking full advantage of the turbo is what you want. Why buy a turbo that can make 1000HP for a car that'll have 300?

Another advantage to turbos is that your usually at full boost by around 3K and it'll hold this level till you let off or your engine blows up. Centerfugial blowers are like I mentioned above. Roots blower and twin screw blowers like the whipple are great for around town driving because they offer boost right away but are limited to how much boost you can run. Especially roots blowers because of their high inefficiency (how much heat they make).

Really it's in what you want and how deep your pockets are. On most domestic cars it's cheaper to install a blower. Imports have alot more kits availible for their cars and are cheaper due to competition. Most domestic guys have to custom do all/any turbo stuff.

Seabass
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 08:39 PM   #5
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 09:53 PM   #6
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Old 11-14-2001, 10:06 PM   #7
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by YogsVR4
Thanks Jay. Good stuff in there.
Some of the best I've read. I don't want them to go to waste. Tell your friends.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical