Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
1_Hot_Autobot
AF Newbie

91 Camaro VS 99 Sebring Convertible

Hey everyone! I'm a newbie to AF and have semi-limited car knowledge but hopefully with this membership that will change. Here's the issue. I wrecked my car and got a 99 Sebring Convertible Limited. While I like my new car I would really really LOVE a Camaro, preferably an early 90's and I found a guy who is looking for trades for a 91 with rebuilt tranny and motor. My car is in fairly good shape and would be more than a fair trade but I don't know if its more of a bad trade than I think. Disregarding the neon orange paint and the 20" gold back rims ( which I would sell upon trade) it looks like its in fairly decent condition though I haven't gone to look at it myself. Should I take a look or do you guys think that the trade would be too much in his favor? The money he is asking for is $2,800 or trade. I don't want to be screwed but I would also want to drive a car that I love. What would you guys do? THANKS!
1_Hot_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 91 Camaro VS 99 Sebring Convertible

No offence intended, but your 10 year old Chrysler has a very low resale value. It was never very popular when new - (other, competing cars functioned better) - and Chrysler's ongoing uncertainty about its future means that very few people want an old Chrysler today.

All things being equal, the Camaro is a more valuable car and will hold it's value better in future if it's a V8 model. A 6 cyl model is no more valuable than your Sebring.

So, if it is a V8 camaro, it all comes down to condition. If you like it, get it thoroughly checked-out be a mechanic and make your decision based on the mechanics report. Many older Camaros are abused/rusty and are worthless. If this car is good, it's probably a good move for you.

But personally, I would be suspicious. I simply cannot see any man wanting a sebring over a camaro. Sorry, but its a guy thing. The Camaro owner sounds a little desperate to accept a trade like that. Imo there is something wrong with the Camaro and they guy simply wants to shift it for anything of some value.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
akboss
AF Regular

First off, it's awesome to hear about someone who actually wants to drive something they love - hat's off to you.

As far as the Camaro, bright orange with gold 20's and rebuilt motor/tranny? I'd be nervous, it sounds like a smack dealer car that was rebuilt by his uncle-in-law who never really had more than a pair of pliers - if someone properly rebuilt a tranny and engine in a V8 1991 Camaro, it surely wouldn't sell for $2K - more likely $5-6K.

In all honesty if you want to trade for the car you have without spending any money, you are going to have to sacrifice the luxury of having a really nice Camaro. I would say your Sebring is worth about $2K, you can find out more accurately by visiting the kelly blue book website.

Even if you were able to save up for a while, or borrow some money and get into a V8 Camaro in good shape for about $5K, you would be much happier. Keep chasing the dream, but I would hate to see you do a trade from your current car to a Camaro only to have it need more money in repairs than you paid for it, or leave you stranded somewhere on a highway.

Good things come to those who wait (or borrow money) - so save your pennies and wait for a Camaro that you aren't nervous about, one that upon first glance you know is 'the one'. You want your first Camaro memory to be a good one, not a nightmare.
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Bloogmanogs
AF Newbie

91 Camaro VS 99 Sebring Convertible

The new 05 Mustang GT may handle better but can it beat the 02 Camaro SS in raw straight line power or pure muscle?
Bloogmanogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
akboss1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloogmanogs View Post
The new 05 Mustang GT may handle better but can it beat the 02 Camaro SS in raw straight line power or pure muscle?
Does it matter? A Mustang GT is plenty fast, whether it beats the car in the next lane only matters to people racing or with small weenies.
akboss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
arock7musicx
AF Newbie

Take a mechanic with you, or ask him to let you drive the car to see your mechanic before agreeing to trade.
arock7musicx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons