Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
View Poll Results: Which locker do you want?
Detroit Locker -- not so fun on the road, killer offroad traction 0 0%
Lock Right -- supposedly better behaved on the road, but not quiet, and always grinding away 0 0%
an LSD up front to help out a bit 0 0%
ARB air lockers -- steep price, and a not always flawless performance record due to air pressure actuation 8 26.67%
Eaton e-lockers -- Not out yet, but planned by the end of the year. Could kick ass. 22 73.33%
No lockers for me thanks. 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 04:45 PM   #31
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Width as I understand it will be the same. Thus the strength won't be changed with the exception of a reduced number of splines. That CAN make it easier to spin off the splines, but anything thirty and above will be pretty tough to spin off. It has nothing to do with the width of the diff. If you know how diffs work you know that the bearing caps fit in the same location no matter what. You can't vary the length of the axle because the carrier will no longer fit in the housing. You already have to use a spreader for a proper fit, how much wider can they go? I think they really need to evaluate market share. As Steve and I discussed, the Xterra is where the money is as much as I hate to say it. Why build something for one single truck (and even worse than that, the truck that no one modifies) and require everyone else to adapt? Again, it is a matter of one die change. Hell, even Steve could make the necessary gears to make it work. It's not that big of a deal once you have the basics down pat! Steve is evaluating making his own gearset for the Detroit 31 spline. But again, that takes time. If you are adamant about using a Detroit, you will have to be patient. It ain't happenin' overnight folks. I am merely telling you what I currently know. It could change overnight, it's hard to say.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 11:23 AM   #32
an1malch1n
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger

the Xterra is where the money is as much as I hate to say it. Why build something for one single truck (and even worse than that, the truck that no one modifies) and require everyone else to adapt?
You lost me here, who are you reffering too?

I'm also confused as to why anybody even brought up using the 31 spline axles??? They are the same length as the 33. I'm just curious, maybe Eaton told you guys something at GOX.
an1malch1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:29 PM   #33
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
The Detroit Locker uses a 31 spline setup from the older Pathfinders, Hard Bodies and Frontiers. Instead of remachining the gear set, they are looking at forcing us to adapt to the older gear set. It really doesn't decrease axle strength, but what it does do is cost us more money to install it. In order to put it in the newer Frontiers and Xs, it will require axle replacement. This started as a result of what the Eaton rep had said to one of our members here. I am willing to lay odds that isn't going to happen. If this actually does become a production line part, Nissan isn't going to step backwards to please Eaton. Eaton WILL step forward to please Nissan. That is how it works in the automobile manufacturing business if you want a piece of the action. Nissan lays down the specs and the vendor meets them or another vendor is found who can.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:34 PM   #34
wilburburns
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to wilburburns
War, Maybe you can answer

I have asked this on a couple of other forum's but not this one. I have not received a definitive answer yet, so here goes.

Are the 31 splined axles that Nissan's Project X with the Eaton E-locker a one-off (custom) job? Or are they Old Pathy or Hardbody Axles? Here's why I ask this. My thought is could we as Frontier and Xterra owners use the 31 splined Pathfinder axles (found at a junk yard) and replace the carrier with a 31 splined Detroit Locker now?

I have been under the impression that the Pathfinder Axles are shorter and would not work for this application, but Noone wants to go on record as verifying this. Although, a Hardbody Axle may work. I haven't been able to verify that either.

As to the older axles being weaker because of the fewer splines, that is correct. However with our low HP engines "I" do not feel this is a problem. "IF" we had 250-300hp, then yes, we could spin the splines off, but with 170hp at the Flywheel, No, that's not an issue in my book. How many older Pathy's or Hardbodies have you heard of breaking rear axles. Even with chevy conversion's I can't recall anyone haveing problems with the axles.

Cliff
wilburburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 09:38 PM   #35
an1malch1n
AF Newbie

Yes War, I know about the 31 spline count axles and the Detroits. Remember I own a Hardbody. All I was asking is why people thought that Eaton was going to use the 31 spline axles.

The only frontier that didn't use the H233b was the 98 Frontier. It uses a modified C200 found from earlier Hardbodies with the 4 banger and 720 trucks. In fact Desert Rat has this truck and in order to fit an ARB in his truck he had to have the axles ground down in order to make it fit. Also why I asked if the Axles needed to be shorter for the new Eaton locker which may have a longer spline housing, or the unit itself is more narrow, which would require longer axles. Yes it is possible crack open your diff and check again. Is there anybody with some hard facts on this????

Since the inception of the 99 with the V6 it has always used the 33 spline axles.

As far as anybody is concerned about breaking an axle, good luck, you will strip out your spider gears first. Both a rarity.

Wilbur: Which Pathy are you reffering too??? The WD-21(pre-96) or the R-50(96+)???

The wd-21 and d-21 axles are the same. However there are a few years(around 90) that some minor changes that have been made and I don't know for sure what the little changes were through the years. I know that some differences were the R&P. As far as the 96-99 (pathy)R-50 I don't know what differences there *might* be but as far as I know the 99.5 pathy(R-50) and the V6 Frontiers and X's (W)D-22 *should* be the same.

I would recommend giving Nissan Mike a call. He can confirm or correct anything I have posted. More than likely correct me :o He knows his axles ALOT better than myself.
an1malch1n is offline   Reply With Quote