Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #31
sidewayzS13
doin it sidewayz

Send a message via AIM to sidewayzS13
Re: KA24DE questions

thats cause no one gives a damn if its legal or not. unless they get checked in thier state. there are some aftermarket turbos made that are street legal but they arent anything that badass
sidewayzS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:30 PM   #32
iVteC_PoWeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to iVteC_PoWeR
That's weird i never knew turbocharging a car that was originally N/A was illegal. I thought there was a reason for some of the turbo kits being legal in all 50 states. Also, around how many miles is too high to turbocharge without rebuilding on the KA?
iVteC_PoWeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #33
zdude
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to zdude

"george" i wasnt saying the ka-t couldnt drift. im just saying its more efficient to drift the sr because of its power band. you can drift any car, any motor, it just takes more practice. i could drift my ff corolla if i wanted to. just get a damn good ebrake and very stiff sidewalls. plus a lot of suspension mods. actually, it wouldnt be drifting, it'd be powersliding, but still. i didnt mean to say what it sounded like i said. i personally prefer ka-t because of the torque its able to put out with smaller funds.

92 Paseo (Died)
90 Corolla (Died)
89 240sx (sold then died)
85 735i (Died)
95 Corolla (Damn Deer)
94 Renault Espace (gave away lol)

94 BMW 316i
97 BMW 528i
97 Blazer

trackrunner2004@gmail.com
zdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #34
zauber
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to zauber
well, i think the main issue is that the ka runs higher compression ratio because it is n/a. tubrocharged cars run a lot lower. the sr i belive runs 8.5:1 though the s15 is 10:1, which is high for forced induction i've heard. where i think the ka runs 11 or 12 to 1 compression not entirely sure on it. by lowering your compression you can run more boost and it will be easier on the motor. only reason why i say rebuild is because if you're going to go as far as lower compression might as well replace any tensoners rods and such. turbos put a lot of stress on a car and i'd hate to see anyone that just install one with a month it break down. i'd say if your motor has over 70k miles on it rebuild. if you don't rebuild i doubt you could make more than 8psi. i mean you could, but i doubt it would be good on the motor.
and by the way i could be entirely wrong i haven't done the ka-t only things i have read and what i have understood about going from n/a to turbo and such. what i say is what i would do if i did ka-t.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:52 PM   #35
orestes
AF Fanatic

ka is like 9.6:1 i think for the DE. no fucking way it is 11 or 12 buddy.

"I got that hustle in my genes like high blood pressure" -E-40
orestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #36
zauber
AF Regular

wow it's that low. man i was wrong then. hmm you might be able to get away without lowering compression. i'd still say rebuild though if you over 70k miles
Old 04-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #37
orestes
AF Fanatic

lol i just read my post sorry for sounding like a dick. but yeah i would not be comfortable turboing my KA without rebuilding pretty much no matter what the mileage. my cutoff would be like 30-50k miles maybe leave it

Old 04-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #38
iVteC_PoWeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to iVteC_PoWeR
So what would be cheapest? best?
S14 SR20DET swap OR
swap a low mile KA motor and turbo OR
rebuild KA and turbo?
iVteC_PoWeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #39
zauber
AF Regular

one issue with the internet is the lack of tones. neglecting caps there are none. so if some one says something or actually anything it's hard to take it any way. so no hard feelings.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:32 PM   #40
zauber
AF Regular

well if you got sr20 you should get a clip. s13 sr20 isn't bad either other than the newer better turbo and vvt there isn't much of a difference between the s13 and s14. and of course lesser miles. there are more differences but those a the big things. though you have to rebuild the ka, add a turbo, and intercooler. you will be doing something that is needed at some point down the road anyway. if you buy the sr the first mods most people do is turbo and intercooler, so right there you are ahead of the game. though when i do my sr swap going to try to do everything else than lastly turbo. it really comes down to what do you want. i beleive there are tons of older threads that do compare the motors. i just personally feel that the sr was bit better of a build for what i want out of my car. i wish i could give you exact prices.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #41
orestes
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVteC_PoWeR
S14 SR20DET swap OR
rebuild KA and turbo?

that can depend. if, for example, say your valvetrain, timing chain, and transmission all need work, then rebuilding is going to be a bigger process. if you have a beauty of a KA then there is nothing wrong with just turboing it as is. if your ka is completely fucked then you might look into what you want to swap in there. either a better KA or see how cheap you can pull off getting an SR. all things considered they are ALL GOOD. its all gravy baby we have hella good enignes to choose from.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #42
zauber
AF Regular

i completely agree with orestes. either one going to take some money and some time. and both are amazing respectable motors. so really choose what you think you'd like. we can't tell you what to do that wouldn't make it your car.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #43
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

The thing with adding a turbo is that factory turbos are for one, FACTORY, they are legal, that's all there is to it, some aftermarket turbo kits like some GReddy ones are CARB legal or exempt because they got the state sign a little piece of paper, but putting your own turbo on an engine is illegal, technically, adding an air intake that isn't CARB legal/exempt is illegal, but no one gives a shit.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
240SXSlideStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #44
D-Bo
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
S14 SR20DET swap OR
rebuild KA and turbo?
you're gonna spend about the same to get to about the same hp. you can buy a ka from www.renewedimport.com which have anywhere from 25-40,000 miles.. they're compression tested and come with a warrantee. once you buy that all you need is to buy a turbo kit or piece one together yourself. you can do that or you can buy the boostdesigns block for $2000 which they call bulletproof and add on turbo parts from there. OR you can buy the renewed import engine and send it to fla to have all the bells and whistles put on (which i will probably do) then finish the turbo kit when you get it.

for the sr, you can buy a clip and upgrade the turbo.

the sr is already reliable but after getting bd to work on a ka, i'd personally rather have the ka than the sr.

i'd say rebuild ka and turbo

go over this whole thread yourself and you should have a better idea of what you want

Quote:
to me when i really look at it hondas just too expensive and theres not much power even after you spend loads of money...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/dbo240

***LOOKING FOR A COUPE, ENGINE IS NOT AN ISSUE***
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #45
Hit_N_Run-player
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hit_N_Run-player

id say find a 240 with a blown motor for about or under 500$ then buy the BD motor for 2000$, and spend money turboing that.

Horsepower sells cars,
Torque wins races!
Hit_N_Run-player is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX