Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 07:11 PM   #46
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
Re: New 240SX and GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_fire180SX
. The main problem from a V6 is that since their are two seperate banks of 3 cylinders, the camshafts and valves are also duplicated, making two seperate sets of valvetrains. This robs horsepower and adds weight.

how do you figure? in an I-6 the cams would be twice as long, still the same mass, you would still have the same amount of valves, rockers, springs, what have you valvetrain parts.... I would agree that the timing system is more complex
SR20DETpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:14 PM   #47
logik23
Banned

Send a message via MSN to logik23

You can't put a big single turbo (well you can, but it's fucking hard) on a V6, it's easy on a I6. Manual means you do it yourself, automatic means it's done for you, in a standard tranny you do everything yourself, in any other tranny, it's done for you, by the computer, it's not manual, it's automatic.
logik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #48
phoenix_fire180SX
AF Newbie

Re: Re: New 240SX and GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
how do you figure? in an I-6 the cams would be twice as long, still the same mass, you would still have the same amount of valves, rockers, springs, what have you valvetrain parts.... I would agree that the timing system is more complex
True. I guess I exaggerated the difference a little for emphasis... the mass of the valvetrain would not be much different because you have the same number of valves, rockers, and springs.

Edit pt. 1: And also, come to think of it, the part in italics is nearly a mute point...

However, despite being DOHC, a V6 actually has 4 cams. Think of the V6 as a whole unit, so it's 6 cylinders pushing 4 cams [assuming 4 valves per cylinder] operating 24 valves, where as an I6 is 6 cylinders pushing 2 cams operating 24 valves. That's why an I6 still ends up with a better valvetrain. However, that's all theory; the practical difference ends up being small if both engines output the same amount of power and weigh nearly the same.

Edit pt. 2: ...because the cams on the V6 would be shorter, because each cam operates 6 valves on a V6, on an I6, one cam operates 12 valves. It's 4x6 vs. 2x12, so having 4 cams on a V6 actaully means little. This leaves the only real advantages of the I6 in balancing and weight and less complexity of the valve train.

Last edited by phoenix_fire180SX; 12-25-2004 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Thinking...
phoenix_fire180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:24 PM   #49
phoenix_fire180SX
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logik23
You can't put a big single turbo (well you can, but it's fucking hard) on a V6, it's easy on a I6.
A twin turbo setup is almost always more efficient than a single turbo setup, that's why the the top engine for the R32-R34 Skyline (like the ones from both Fast and the Furious movies) is a twin turbo I6.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Who cares whats faster. H patterns are much more fun to drive and much less expensive.
That's what I've been trying to say!!!
If you read what I said earlier, I mostly agree with you. "More fun" is a matter of pure opinion that can't be argued, but I already said that they would be cheaper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_fire180SX
A normal stick shift would be nice to reduce costs though, then the sequential gear box could be a performance option.
Quote:
Manual means you do it yourself, automatic means it's done for you, in a standard tranny you do everything yourself, in any other tranny, it's done for you, by the computer, it's not manual, it's automatic.
About the transmissions, if your trying to say that a sequential gear box is not a manual transmission, I'm sorry, but your incorrect. Manual transmission means that the driver controls when the transmission shifts and what gear it shifts into. That makes a stick shift and a paddle-shift both a manual transmission.

Plus you don't seem to know that their is more difference between a manual transmission and an automatic than just if the driver has control over the shifting. A true manual transmission is lighter and transfers more power to the wheels because they transfer power from the engine more efficiently. I won't go into too much detail, but an automatic uses a different planetary-gear based system that weighs more and transfers power less efficiently from the engine because it uses a torque converter which uses hydraulic fluid. So the definition of a manual transmission and an automatic transmission is more than just how much control the driver has over gear shifting, they are fundamentally different designs.

Manual transmissions are, without a doubt, superior for performance, so I'll agree with you that an automatic Skyline GT-R would be horrible, but you shouldn't call a sequential gear box transmission an automatic; it's much more like a stick shift manual transmission then an automatic like most everyone's grandma drives.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:57 PM   #50
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

Twins are not more efficient. They spool much faster than a single turbo. They are used on factory cars so you don't expirience much lag. Makes it feel more like a NA engine.lol Thats why a lot of your big-time supra and skyline tuners switch over to a single turbo. If I was rich, I would probably have a sequential shift car somewhere in my garage, but until then....

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #51
logik23
Banned

Send a message via MSN to logik23

Pheonix Fire, I know about the trannies, how a manual puts down more power and how autos are smoother or whatnot, but thebottom line is, it's not a standard without the clutch, it might not be an automatic, but it's defenetely not a manual, it's in between, and you can't make 1000hp with a twin turbo setup on a 2JZ or RB26, but you can with a single turbo, that's why I brought it up, I know it's more efficient 2 have 2.
logik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:42 PM   #52
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AWDSR20 Send a message via MSN to AWDSR20

i like turbo lag then surge!!! feels great!

Her: when will go fast?
Me: wait............its not past 3500 yet...
Her: whatev OH SHIT!
Me: Oh yeah!
Car: VROOOOOOMMMM WHISSSHT

E.K.
AWDSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #53
astrikrace
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to astrikrace

wait, wait, i dont think there is any way the auto is near as quick as manual on the luanch of a drag race. in the streets the luanch is the most important part of the race becuase once u hit the next light its done, like it or not
astrikrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:18 PM   #54
SR20DETpower
Banned

you don't know too much then....

automatics can have more launch consistency thereby allowing you to find the optimal launch technique for the fastest time.. if you have to manipulat the throttle and clutch pedal at the same time...no 2 launches will be the same, because you do not control when the power is put down to the ground in an auto, it is done for you.. you can change parts to get different launch rpm's; with the manual you can always mess up a launch if your feet do not work as planned.. hey it might seem easy to drive a manual on the street but do 100 drag races on the strip and you will see just how inconsistent it is... So at the very least the average times for an automatic will be higher...
Old 12-25-2004, 11:08 AM   #55
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Which brings me to the part about the 240SX, does this mean the new 240SX will be nothing like the one we know and love now? Maybe they'll ruin it to! FWD, narrow and tall and short, only automatic, foor doors?
Hold your horses there, buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Jewett Automotive News / December 20, 2004
Nissan tales new look at 'pocket rocket' with Azeal

Nissan says the Azeal concept that will be at the Detroit auto show next month is a fresh look at the "pocket rocket" high-performance small car segment.

This sketch of the concept gives the impression that the Azeal could also be called the "Mini Z," with similarities in the roof line and fenders to Nissan's 350Z sports car.

The Azeal is the first concept created at the design studio in Nissan's technical center in Farmington Hills, Mich.

The automaker is searching for a successor to the Sentra that has more emotional appeal. The Sentra is scheduled to be redesigned for either the 2006 or 2007 model year.
We'll find out next month what this car is like. 'Til then, we'll just have to hope.

Quote:
Ok, so has anyone seen the new SCC? The new Skyline GT-R will have either an NA V8 or a TT V6 (sooo gay, they need to keep the straight 6) and it'll be 4 wheel drive (which is good, like the old ones) it'll be stuffed in a G35 coupe body with round tailights. Up to now, it's not a Skyline
Have you seen the 'New GT-R' forum? You could have learned this stuff at least a month in advance. You'd also know that there is little to no chance of a V8 now, and how the wheelbase is more like that of the shorter Z than the G35 Coupe. In addition to using wider body panels, that's part of the reason the test mule(not the final production car) looks so funny.

The RB's been dead for over two years. Get over it already. The VQ can be stronger, will produce more torque, and be lighter, all while offering the lower emissions that the RB isn't capable of.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:59 AM   #56
SR20DETpower
Banned

well said, you would think half the nissan followers think the rb is the only engine in the world capable of making over 600hp

the other half are smart

the rb was a cool engine, but its gone... its not the only engine you can make loads of power with. Id rather have a big block chevy 427 over a rb26dett.......also don't forget the vq35 only has .9 of a liter higher in displacement, that can make a big difference when talking modified engines.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:28 PM   #57
Hit_N_Run-player
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hit_N_Run-player

Quote:
and you can't make 1000hp with a twin turbo setup on a 2JZ or RB26, but you can with a single turbo
Actually you can make 1000hp on a twin turbo 2JZ-GTE....

When tuning is finished its said to have breached the 1000hp mark!! pretty awesome..

Horsepower sells cars,
Torque wins races!
Hit_N_Run-player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 09:00 PM   #58
lazyfcker
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lazyfcker Send a message via Yahoo to lazyfcker
damn thats a nice engine bay

this 240 is just so damn sexy!
~Environmentalists love drifting~
lazyfcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 09:41 PM   #59
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
also don't forget the vq35 only has .9 of a liter higher in displacement, that can make a big difference when talking modified engines.
That higher displacement allows the VQ to make more torque, and/or make the same power as an RB while under less stress. Not only that, but the VQ can be expanded to larger displacements than the RB, as well. There are 3.8L, 4L(swap OEM parts with '05 Frontier/Pathfinder/XTerra), and 4.3L stroker kits for the VQ. The largest RB I've heard of is 'just' 3L.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 09:55 PM   #60
phoenix_fire180SX
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Twins are not more efficient. They spool much faster than a single turbo. They are used on factory cars so you don't expirience much lag. Makes it feel more like a NA engine.lol Thats why a lot of your big-time supra and skyline tuners switch over to a single turbo. If I was rich, I would probably have a sequential shift car somewhere in my garage, but until then....
More turbo lag does not = more efficient. A turbo isn't more efficient just because it makes more power.

Although, yes, ultimately, most race cars end up with one large single turbo simply because it's not practical to keep the complexity and extra space required for a twin turbo setup of similar power (we're talking those huge 800+ HP cars). But it is possible; anything is with the right amount of $$$.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX