Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
Jimmy58
AF Newbie

Battery light/Fried Alt.

Hi Guys, had a weard thing happen to the 99 jimmy. The wife pulled in and the truck sounded like Krap. She says that the red battery light and the alt. gage is lit up. GROAN . Well got the meter out and yup the alt wasn't charging. Checked the voltage in the battery and found 8.9 volts.
you guessed it, the battery after load test is shy 1 cell so delco remy here I come, with a stop over at NAPA. Put new battery and alternator on and started everything up and the red battery light still on . I put the meter on the alt and found 14 . 6 volts and the battery with engine off had 13.3 volts. ???????????. after a little thinking I Pulled the battery and tray and checked the 175 A fuse and the connections and found a corroded mess. Cleaned the connections and reassembled everything and whalaa No light. Just thought you guys should know.
Nick
88 Gmc Jimmy
1959 FLH Harley
1984 Honda Goldwing
Jimmy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Jimmy58
AF Newbie

Re: Battery light/Fried Alt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy58
Hi Guys, had a weard thing happen to the 99 jimmy. The wife pulled in and the truck sounded like Krap. She says that the red battery light and the alt. gage is lit up. GROAN . Well got the meter out and yup the alt wasn't charging. Checked the voltage in the battery and found 8.9 volts.
you guessed it, the battery after load test is shy 1 cell so delco remy here I come, with a stop over at NAPA. Put new battery and alternator on and started everything up and the red battery light still on . I put the meter on the alt and found 14 . 6 volts and the battery with engine off had 13.3 volts. ???????????. after a little thinking I Pulled the battery and tray and checked the 175 A fuse and the connections and found a corroded mess. Cleaned the connections and reassembled everything and whalaa No light. Just thought you guys should know.
Nick
Well guys I thought i had beaten the gmc gremlins back into oblivian concerning this post but I am still getting an intermittent battery light. I have 14 6 volts when running and wen I shut off the jummy I have 13 4v at the battery. I have cleaned all the cables from the battery to the fuse boxes and starter. I have no problem starting or running but like I say I get a battery light once in a while. The amp meter never dips just the light comes on for 5 or 6 seconds and then goes out. Any ideas? Would the fuel pump starting to go cause this?
I have researched the Alternator anbd it is a CS130D which has an electronic regulator (1 wire) on L terminal and from what I have read a very weak diode stack for a rectifier. I also have read that the regulator is very susseptable to dammage. Any Ideas?
Nick
88 Gmc Jimmy
1959 FLH Harley
1984 Honda Goldwing
Old 02-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Jimmy58
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Battery light/Fried Alt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy58
Well guys I thought i had beaten the gmc gremlins back into oblivian concerning this post but I am still getting an intermittent battery light. I have 14 6 volts when running and wen I shut off the jummy I have 13 4v at the battery. I have cleaned all the cables from the battery to the fuse boxes and starter. I have no problem starting or running but like I say I get a battery light once in a while. The amp meter never dips just the light comes on for 5 or 6 seconds and then goes out. Any ideas? Would the fuel pump starting to go cause this?
I have researched the Alternator anbd it is a CS130D which has an electronic regulator (1 wire) on L terminal and from what I have read a very weak diode stack for a rectifier. I also have read that the regulator is very susseptable to dammage. Any Ideas?
Nick
This is an update on this thread. after bringing my Jimmy to the dealer they told me that I had a short in the guage cluster turning the light on. I asked them several times if they were shure that changing the cluster would fix the problem yhey assured me that it would. well after spending 700$ I got in the jimmy and wasn't out of the driveway of the dealer and the light came back on When I got home I called the rebuilder who I bought the new alternator from and discussed it with him. Our concensus was that the regulator might be the wrong one for the truck. I pulled the Alternator off the truck and brought it to the shop and we pulled it down. The regulator for my original alternator was a 705 series, the new alternator had a 702 series in it.
The difference between the two is this. The 705 regulator is controled by the batt light circuit and the 702 is controled by the Ignithion circuit. They are not interchangable. We pulled the 702 and installed the new 705 regulator and whalah no more problems!!!!
Jimmy 58
88 Gmc Jimmy
1959 FLH Harley
1984 Honda Goldwing

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy