Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
TitaniumSyndicate
AF Newbie

Angry 03 Silverado electrical problem

Hello,

I have been having an issue with my rig. This all started the other day when I could not unlock my truck with my key fob. I thought the battery was low because the day before I had to hit the button multiple times for it to unlock as I walked towards it. So I unlocked the door manually and tried to start it up and it would fire right up and the cut off after a second. Well during the holiday I did not have any time to look at it and Sunday I finally was tracing down the problem as I thought it was a bad ground to the BCM. This kinda was the problem because as soon as I grabbed the box down by the brake pedal on the floor by the kick panel the lights and everything looked to be working. Starts right up and everything. Now my only problem seems to be is that my stereo seems to working fine but no sound comes out of the speakers. Then other problem is that my heater control that switches from floor to defrost does no work, AC button does not light up, rear window defrost does not come on and on my dual zone temperature control one side is hot and the other is cold. Any Ideas on what this could be. I have tried to clean all the ground wires can find. Please let me know where the grounds are.

Ty
TitaniumSyndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 03 Silverado electrical problem

disconnect the battery negative connection. then under the driver door on the frame rail remove, and clean the ground wires to the frame rail.

could be the BCM wiring/connectors. did this vehicle have an aftermarket alarm / start installed etc ? if so this is a good reason you have these troubles.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
TitaniumSyndicate
AF Newbie

J cat,

I have done both of thoughs, but not in that sequence. I will try that when I get home in a few hours. I have no aftermarket parts except for I used a hypertec programmer on it when I bought it to recalibrate the Speedo for the tire size I put on it. I will let you know how it turns out later this evening. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
TitaniumSyndicate
AF Newbie

Ok, I disconected my battery then cleaned the ground wires, 3 of them mounted to the frame where the body mount is under the drivers seat and that did not change anything. Any other good grounds around that area? Any idea how I check for a ground at the conectors? I looked all over and did not see any. Any help would be awesome.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumSyndicate View Post
Ok, I disconected my battery then cleaned the ground wires, 3 of them mounted to the frame where the body mount is under the drivers seat and that did not change anything. Any other good grounds around that area? Any idea how I check for a ground at the conectors? I looked all over and did not see any. Any help would be awesome.
remove the BCM check the connectors/wiring.

did the vehicle ever have aftermarket wiring installed ? If so start there.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
TitaniumSyndicate
AF Newbie

Jcat,

Sorry for the delay, I checked the BCM and the PCM wiring and nothing looked bad at all. I have been taking apart the dash to see where the wiring harness goes to the form the HVAC direction controller (i.e. Defrost, floor, vent) because my blower works off of a different harness.

What I am thinking is that somewhere in that harness I have a short or a bad ground and must run the HVAC controls and the Stock Bose amp under the center consol. I have ordered a Power Probe III in order to be able to do a closer inspection of the wiring.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
control , electrical , ground , heater , silverado
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado