Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Dave50
AF Newbie

Question (lower) control arm problems

hello to all new guy here
my problem is this: my lower control arm bushing, front but (rear bushing) unfastens alright but i cannot get the bolt out no matter what i do.
it just keeps spinning and will not come out the control arm has snapped itself so needs to be replaced.
now is there a secret way (lol) to get this out iam about to become on nerve pills because of this lol.
it just keeps turning on me and will not come out the other nut/bolt came out without any problems.
and from the manufactures book the actual gm book 375.00 paid for this darn book
anyway it says that these bolts have got to be placed back in from the inside (both of them) meaning they arent supposed to be placed back one one way the the other way. a guy has told me its okay to be doing it the way where i place it back in to wiggle it back and forth to get it back in but the gm manual says to put both bolts back in the exact same way from inside the control arm out and the both nuts to be facing outside. and even when i took them both off the one was bolt end from the outside in and the other from the inside out? so any help would be great i have a 1997 3.1 front wheel drive. and i have only 1 lower control arm on each side
thanks guys
Dave
Dave50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: (lower) control arm problems

The control arm snapped itself means what? Are you saying you have the nut off the bolt but it will not come out of the bushing, so you cannot get it out of the subframe.?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Dave50
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: (lower) control arm problems

maxwedge thanks for your reply

Well, I did finally remove this wit a wrecking bar, the hard way the nut and bolt did not want to come out being siezed....

now that i have this out maybe somebody could help maybe you maxwedge, if you know alot about these vehicles I do myself but,I always seem to have to do things with the lumina, the hard way, when in fact the things iam doing should be easier.

I do have the knowledge, but iam stuck what iam trying to do is this:
On my 1998 lumina i had replaced the entire front end wheel bearings tie rods/ends ball joints you name it i did it on this front end, now that i have a 1997 same 3100 series enging.

i want to just do a quick change over meaning, i want to or if there is a way, to just maybe! unbuckle the tie rod end, unbolt the strut tower (3) nuts on mine (1997/and the 98, and unfasten, the control arm, (which is only a year and a half old very good shape. bought new... and just grab the entire strut tower and all and a easy way to just bring it over to the 1997 lumina .

or will i have to the hard way unbuckle the,ball joint caliper, and the rest.
to me there has to be a easy way seeing everything is right there and all is new and just ready to get on the road. now in saying this and some might wonder why if you have so many new parts and yes i do and the list goes on this lumina is pretty well brand new from front to back including struts on the rear, to everything in between.

but the reason i had to place it off the road was the rockers were done and we needed a vehicle for our business and needed it fast and really didnt go over the car as i should of my mistake that could of cost us our lives because the control arm just snapped off right at the ball joint, and we had bought this only 2 months back with a safety?? ((right)) he will be hearing from me but in the meantime i have to get this 1997 back on the road and fast because we loose money with it not being mobile we have a Homemade pie business here in canada.

so if anybody can help with a easy way that would be great. i have been working on vehicles for many years but always and i mean always, have had to do things the hard way ((lol)) but thats me but when it is fixed its darn good so the wife says and yes i will admit i do manage to get it fixed properly but just takes me all around the world so to say to get it done .
not being lazy whatso ever i will work on it for 17/18 hours at a time and this is just myself and i also lear things in the meantime as well because as we all know we never stop learning in the automotive field.

so anyway if this helps thats great and appreciate any help and once again thanks very much for your help maxwedge i do appreciate any help.

and A book well yes i have more than likely any vehicle manufacture book you can think of and these are all of the professional editions. 38 in total i was very blessed to have recieved these when a library was going all digital.

and wanted to get rid of all of the reference manuals which, to me wow! they should of never done this because the internet is just that the net it will crash and we all know this and when i bought these all for a hefty price mind you but this being said. if anybody does need help and i can help i will also be there.

thanks guys and this is the best forum out there as far as i know a friend that had been here along time back had told me about this but i just never reached out but now iam and hopefully, down the road i will also give input when i can as well.

thanks and blessings
~Dave

but yes i did finally get that darn bushing out the ((hard way)) thats dave)) and in roughly 200 pieces but thats done now and just want a easy way to just grab the strut tower, and all the rest and just transfer it all over without disturbing to much if this is possible, in a quick way.

i do have all my own tools but no impact gear did but was stolen years back and it was well over 10,000 worth to boot but we must move on and cant live on this sort of stuff but yeah thanks guys
Dave

sorry about writing a book here but i just wanted to try and explain it the best way i really can, i will be having dinner but will be here forsure in a little while to also get a feel of this website forum...
bye for now...
Dave
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: (lower) control arm problems

i want to just do a quick change over meaning, i want to or if there is a way, to just maybe! unbuckle the tie rod end, unbolt the strut tower (3) nuts on mine (1997/and the 98, and unfasten, the control arm, (which is only a year and a half old very good shape. bought new... and just grab the entire strut tower and all and a easy way to just bring it over to the 1997 lumina .

If you are looking to swap out the, you are on the right track. Unless you want to bleed the brakes, take the caliper off and use the one on the car you are driving now. Yes, unbolt the tie rod, remove the axle shaft nut and drive out the axle, remove the three nuts on top of the strut. I find it easier to separate the control arm and do it separately, it just gets difficult to handle all that at once.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Dave50
AF Newbie

Thumbs up thanks for this help to all

Thanks and yes i think i will just go this way, this way i can make sure all items, are torqued to specs etc. but i will have to also take the other caliper because the one in it now has a bad piston, and the torx bolt? well theres another nightmare itself.

I find if,i heat it up with a torch and cold shock it, it usually comes out mind you, i have also chewed out a few of these cheap things,i hate these things why couldnt they just put a regular 19mm or something instead of the (torx),that is easier but just another way for any dealership or parts dealer to make a few extra bucks itself....
so thanks all for your help on this
~Dave

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
arm , arms , bushings , control
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina