Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #16
enslow
AF Regular

Re: stereo wiring & dual climate control

Crutchfield actually says that the JVC 810 fits, but not the JVC 610, so go figure.

When HotZ28 said he would include this in the Tips & Maintenance section, I realized that I would need to tidy up my writing to clarify some of my points, including what I soldered.

The wiring adapter harness you get from Crutchfield or Sonicelectronix has a connector that matches your GM connector in the dash. What needs soldering are the wires between the adapter harness and the head unit harness. I think a lot of people use crimp connectors, but they fail over time. I now wish I had taken pictures of the installation.
enslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #17
enslow
AF Regular

I too, like the clock to show. I can get the clock to show as long as the unit is on. I also like the buttons to be lit at night even if the unit is not playing. If I leave the unit in AUX mode, that may be like "turning the unit off" but the clock will still display. The buttons will remain lit if the unit is in AUX as well. I'll see how that goes.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I forgot. The time I contacted crutchfield I asked if they had ANY unit without a detachable face. They told me you can not get a unit without it anymore.
This looks like yours is not detachable. Is that correct?

On the adapter thing. I saw in a store where they had all the adapters for everything. If the antenna was different, there was a part that fit between the male and femail that connected them. One for the plug in on the back of the unit also. If I understand right, you cut the wires from the harness in the car to put in the plug that fits the radio? Did you just opt not to get one or is there no adapter that just plugs in?

Chris.
Used 111,000 Motor, All New Gaskets
Used 102,000 Transmission - SOLD
New Balance 662
Trek 8000
happydog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #19
enslow
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog500 View Post
I'm sorry, I forgot. The time I contacted crutchfield I asked if they had ANY unit without a detachable face. They told me you can not get a unit without it anymore.
This looks like yours is not detachable. Is that correct?
This face is NOT detachable.
Quote:
On the adapter thing. I saw in a store where they had all the adapters for everything. If the antenna was different, there was a part that fit between the male and femail that connected them. One for the plug in on the back of the unit also.
This is true for the antenna adapter.
Quote:
If I understand right, you cut the wires from the harness in the car to put in the plug that fits the radio? Did you just opt not to get one or is there no adapter that just plugs in?
Chris.
NO! you do not cut your car wires. I've included a bmp attachment to show what you have to do.

Bottom line is you keep your vehicle harness intact. The adapter harness from Crutchfield or Sonicelectronix fits directly into the vehicle connector with not cutting or soldering. The radio connector from Crutchfield or Sonicelectronix fits directly into the radio. However, the adapter harness needs to be soldered to the radio harness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio harness.jpg (13.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
enslow
AF Regular

If you look at the two images, you will see the adapter harness from Crutchfield, and the XR610 from Sonelectronix. The adapter harness plugs directly into the vehicle with no cutting or soldering. However, you see the loose ends? Those get soldered to the XR610 wiring harness on the XR610.

I hope this clears things up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GM adapter harness.jpg (48.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg kwxr610.jpg (86.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #21
enslow
AF Regular

I'm working on a step by step procedure for installing the XR610 into a 99 Lesabre. These steps will be similar to many other stereos, and other 92-99 Lesabres/Olds 88, and even a few Bonnevilles perhaps. I think Bonnvevilles usually have a power antenna instead of a window grid antenna, though. I've got most of it written now, but I'll make a few diagrams to include as attachments, and check my procedure to make sure I haven't made any mistakes. I hope!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
enslow
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by enslow View Post
If you look at the two images, you will see the adapter harness from Crutchfield, and the XR610 from Sonelectronix. The adapter harness plugs directly into the vehicle with no cutting or soldering. However, you see the loose ends? Those get soldered to the XR610 wiring harness on the XR610.

I hope this clears things up!
When I went onto the Sonicelectronix site, appartently you can pay more for some other kind of connector/adapter harness. I'm not sure if those are plug 'n play (prewired) for different stereos. That said, I wouldn't trust that they would be wired correctly for a particular vehicle because even among Lesabres there are differences. I really don't know; I just wire my own.

As for visibility, I've been using it for a week now. Granted, we haven't had a lot of bright sunny weather, but I havn't had any issues with visibility. I rarely turn the unit off, I just switch it to AUX so I can see the clock as long as the vehicle is on.