Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
cougar214
AF Regular

A/C fixed but need help

O'K.Like everyone was saying in other posts the problem with my a/c blowing cold on one side and hot on the other was in fact that little control motor under the glove box that controls the main mixing vent.

You guys were spot on with that main gear inside the motor being broken.I tried to fix the gear with super glue but it wouldn't hold.Damn thing kept coming apart again when I would try to press it back onto that shaft.

What I did was what another user here did.I moved the crack in the gear to the opposing side of the box so it didn't make contact when turning.

Now on to the problem.The gear and motor are working BUT the shaft that the motor connects to, which is the main mixer inside the vent box,is very tight and it turns the vent to heat just fine but its having trouble turning it back to a/c without the help of my flathead screwdriver to help it along.

Do you guys know how to remove that whole mixing box the motor is connected to and fix the louver inside so it moves smoothly again?
cougar214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
roonie
AF Regular

Re: A/C fixed but need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar214 View Post
O'K.Like everyone was saying in other posts the problem with my a/c blowing cold on one side and hot on the other was in fact that little control motor under the glove box that controls the main mixing vent.

You guys were spot on with that main gear inside the motor being broken.I tried to fix the gear with super glue but it wouldn't hold.Damn thing kept coming apart again when I would try to press it back onto that shaft.

What I did was what another user here did.I moved the crack in the gear to the opposing side of the box so it didn't make contact when turning.

Now on to the problem.The gear and motor are working BUT the shaft that the motor connects to, which is the main mixer inside the vent box,is very tight and it turns the vent to heat just fine but its having trouble turning it back to a/c without the help of my flathead screwdriver to help it along.

Do you guys know how to remove that whole mixing box the motor is connected to and fix the louver inside so it moves smoothly again?
ive got the same issue as you...i think. Can i just ask..are you doing all of this above fixing from under the dash without taking anything apart? Did you have to remove your glovebox to access this?
roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roonie View Post
ive got the same issue as you...i think. Can i just ask..are you doing all of this above fixing from under the dash without taking anything apart? Did you have to remove your glovebox to access this?
I don't have an Intrigue, but it's probably similar to my Grand Prix. If you have separate driver and passenger temperature controls, then there will be two temp. control accuators in there. You can get to the one on the passenger side from behind the glove box. The driver's side one is up in there and can only be reached by being on your back on the floor and reaching up with your left arm.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
roonie
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkvons View Post
I don't have an Intrigue, but it's probably similar to my Grand Prix. If you have separate driver and passenger temperature controls, then there will be two temp. control accuators in there. You can get to the one on the passenger side from behind the glove box. The driver's side one is up in there and can only be reached by being on your back on the floor and reaching up with your left arm.
Yeah ..ive got this cased now. in fact today im putting it back together. Its a case of more cheap plastic parts that brake in the gears. There are a whole host of vehicles that are the same. I went to ebay and found one ..then...there is a list on the sellers site that tells what other vehicles it fits. I went to an auto wrecker here in my town and picked up two of the actuators for a mere $5. Hope this helps others with the same issues. Damn those big three auto makers. If it were a honda or toyota none of this would have happened.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
roonie
AF Regular

well....i tried to reach up to install this blend door actuator and found it just too tight up in there for my hands even though i was able to remove the part a couple days ago.
since removing the actuator the heater is working just fine without it. The only down side to this is i will not be able to controll one side or the other...but who really cares about our passengers....hehe
Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Yeah, I remember the auto systems on Buicks/Pontiacs, that had the programmer, and the actuator that was on top that connected to a rod....getting those two screws out was unreal....putting them back in was even worse.......

Kind of reminds me of the "Convenience Center".....ever have to test the connections or get to the relays on that sucker?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue