Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
EgonS
AF Newbie

Exclamation Clear sticky liquid on/under back seats.

Hello,

I recently wanted to drive around some of my mates in my Chevy Spark, (yeah i know a spark..very funny..) i quickly got complaints from the rear seat passengers that their behinds were getting wet quicker then a school girl on a prom night.

Bad jokes aside, the next day i did some investigation into the matter and found out that there was indeed a dampness in the seats, and as i ran my hand over it firmly my hand got wet and sticky. (I swear i'm still talking about the car seat.) The fluid in question seemed to be clear like water.

I already checked all the rubber seals on the vehicle and to my eye at least they seem to be fine.

Is there any other reason why the car would feel this damp/ wet on the inside? And how do i solve it?

Thanks a ton!
S.Egon

Edit: The car is a bog standard no options Chevy Spark 2011, no airconditioning in the vehicle either, just a normal heater and blower.
EgonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Clear sticky liquid on/under back seats.

Does the liquid have an odor, and when you got it on your hand did it seem to evaporate like water, or was it more oily? Have you had any rain recently, and does your car have a sunroof?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
EgonS
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Does the liquid have an odor, and when you got it on your hand did it seem to evaporate like water, or was it more oily? Have you had any rain recently, and does your car have a sunroof?

-Rod
The liquid has a very slight soapy odor, possibly windshield wiper fluid?
Seems to be more oily, no evaporation.
No rain, vehicle sits in garage most of the time, no sunroof.

Took out the carpet in the back and found water in the rear passenger foot area aswel. Same substance as in the trunk and on the seats.
EgonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Windshield washer fluid usually has a pretty decent blue tint to it. Did you notice any coloration when you cleaned up the puddle on the floor, assuming you used rags or paper towels, hopefully white? Since generally folks in the backseat are both passengers, did you mean there was a puddle on the floor of both sides or just on the "passenger side?" In a Spark it may be possible to drive from the back seat I suppose.

Does the spark have a rear wiper/washer? Have you considered taking the car through a car wash and sitting in the back seat, or carefully inspecting the backseat area, during the wash for signs of water intrusion? You might also remove the carpet in the cargo area as well as removing the back seat cushion to see if there are any body plugs missing from the floor which could let water in when driving on wet roads.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical