Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 06:14 PM   #16
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Smile Toyman.........

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 06:16 PM   #17
Toy Man
AF Premium User

Pictures

Two quick pictures. Not sure if they show the amount of rear lift.

Last edited by Toy Man; 02-01-2002 at 09:27 PM.
Toy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 10:28 PM   #18
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

I've been impressed

with the 3 AAL system from SLR. I was the first to have it installed several months ago and it has held up extremely well. Last time I was out wheeling I had 5 people and about 250lbs of gear in the back along with my hi-lift up top and it proved to perform excellent under load.

The setup is designed to add the 3 progressive leafs and remove your load leaf to prevent getting it hungup on obstacles. You can still use your stock U-bolts. You will gain about 2 inches of lift and can turn torsion bars up as your first steps. If you are looking for maximum lift then it gets coupled with a 1" shackle (which is the way I'm running it) for a total of 3" lift and an extra 1" of droop.

My ride height is currently 1" higher in the rear with 3/4" remaining between my a-arm and bumpstops in the front. When fully loaded as mentioned above, I still was running about 1/2" higher in the rear. I have never had it sag in the rear even with extreme loads and a lot of abuse.

The best part I like about this system is you get the best of both worlds. You get a much better ride without it being harsh, while accomplishing the lift. 1 thick aal will not ride as well as 3 progressive leafs. I could take some pics tomorrow, but I don't have a host anymore since photopoint went in the $hitter. If anyone is interested, I'll figure something out to get some pics up.

I did have to buy a drop hitch for pulling trailers as the spring/shackle combined with 32's was too much for the u-haul trailer.

Sorry I gave you more than my .02 but I'm wired tonite.

I know everyone will be interested in how much, but you'll need to call SLR for that since I don't know how they will be packaging it with / without the rest of their lift.
SLR 3" Lift, SLR IV Intake, SLR Steering Stabilizer, 32" BFG MT km's, Warn Premium Locking Hubs, Gibson Exhaust, Custom Rock Sliders, Custom Safari Rack, CO2 Air Tank, Daylighters, CB, with more to come.
Craigs_Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 05:23 AM   #19
Toy Man
AF Premium User

Uploading pictures

You can post pictures to Automotive Forum by going to
A/F pictures

Size limit is 100K.

Be sure to copy the URL it displays after upload so you can paste it in your post.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:56 AM   #20
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Looks like maybe you did get a tiny amount of lift from those springs Toy Man, but not too much. Looks like you have the front Torsion bars tightened up a little bit too, so the front to rear rake looks good. I'm still interested in your stock springs if you have them. I'll email you later.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:40 PM   #21
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

Full Droop

with the 3 AAL system from SLR.

Here is a full side view on our home made RTI ramp at West X 2001.

And in Sedona at Broken Arrow Trail.

This was my first attempt at posting pics so if it didn't turn out too good, hang in there while I keep trying.
SLR 3" Lift, SLR IV Intake, SLR Steering Stabilizer, 32" BFG MT km's, Warn Premium Locking Hubs, Gibson Exhaust, Custom Rock Sliders, Custom Safari Rack, CO2 Air Tank, Daylighters, CB, with more to come.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:05 PM   #22
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Can you explain the SLR AAL a bit? Does it add onto the original leafs or replace them? I noticed you kept the shackles. How did the lift change with the AAL's? Do you have anything up front to compensate? I ended up going back to my Nissan shackles after putting in the Rancho AAL.

Also, what's up with the bumper? I thought that thing was a prototype? The wings aren't flush, and the metal (aluminum?) seems out of place on a black on paint truck. Not judging, just curious about some new stuff I haven't seen yet.

P.S. The photos posted fine. Thanks for the addition!
Old 02-02-2002, 09:24 PM   #23
Toy Man
AF Premium User

More on SLR stock rear leaf replacement

I was able to park next to a stock 2001 X. I was only a inch higher at the rear so my original springs were probably flatter than I realized.

I have Rancho 9116's that I have set to 3 in the past.

I tried setting them to 1 today. That lasted about 2 blocks.
The rear would 'pogo' when I went over the slighest bump.

Changed the setting to 2 and the X rides much better. Still stiff but softer if that makes sense.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:01 AM   #24
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
Can you explain the SLR AAL a bit? Does it add onto the original leafs or replace them?
Yes, all 3 AAL go on the bottom of your stock leaf pack and you leave off the load leveler as you won't need it. It's designed to be used in conjunction with a torsion lift to get a couple extra inches in the rear, or with the shackles to get maximum lift while having the best ride I've found.

Quote:
I noticed you kept the shackles. How did the lift change with the AAL's?
Not exactly, the shackels are new 1" designed specifically to work in conjunction with the 3 AAL for maximum lift / droop, not the 2" H-gusseted SLR shackles I had previously.

Quote:
Do you have anything up front to compensate? I ended up going back to my Nissan shackles after putting in the Rancho AAL.
I have The SLR lift with A-arms and diff lowering kit. I had to re-index my stock torsion bars to get enough lift to leave 3/4" between the bumpstop and the control arm. My stock torsion bars are toasted and I'm working on saving some $$$ to get torsion bars.

Quote:
Also, what's up with the bumper? I thought that thing was a prototype? The wings aren't flush, and the metal (aluminum?) seems out of place on a black on paint truck.
It was a "prototype".
1 : an original model on which something is patterned : ARCHETYPE
2 : an individual that exhibits the essential features of a later type
3 : a standard or typical example
4 : a first full-scale and usually functional form of a new type or design of a construction (as an airplane)
That's why it had numerous things that needed changing as well as the top end was not designed yet, but Spencer wanted the approach angle and mountings tested early before the cosmetics were implemented and other changes were made. It wasn't painted or anything. The aluminum is to keep weight down while the steel tubing is for strength. The bumper shown there is much different than what will hit the producion line, but you'll just need to wait for the release of the real thing. You see, it appears that people don't like to see things in testing without all the fit and finish done.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:12 AM   #25
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info!

BTW if your girlfriend likes offroading, she's a keeper.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:13 AM   #26
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

Re: More on SLR stock rear leaf replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by Toy Man
I was able to park next to a stock 2001 X. I was only a inch higher at the rear so my original springs were probably flatter than I realized.
Toy Man, just a couple comments. The 3 AAL was not designed to "repair" flattened out stock springs. If they were, you wouldn't be able to put them on a new set of springs as the lift would be extreme. My suggestion to people that have flattened springs would be to replace them (as I did) prior to installing the 3 AAL.

I can tell you that the ride is greatly improved not only for overall ride, but for fully loaded and wheeling as well. One side note, I am running the Bilsteins that come with SLR's lift. I had Rancho 9000's on previously and I can honestly say that it's an noticeable difference. It seems as though the shocks are matched with the springs and weight of the vehicle very well.

One last thing, your measurements of the stock 2001 are irrelevant. Once that thing is wheeled hard, loaded heavy and articulated the stock springs will break down and sag just like everyone elses. The progressive leafs will assist in the weight carrying and reduce / eliminate the stock springs from deteriorating as quickly.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:15 AM   #27
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

Whoa fella,

Quote:
BTW if your girlfriend likes offroading, she's a keeper.
THAT'S MY DAUGHTER :finger:

Old 02-03-2002, 12:27 AM   #28
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Cool! Is she single!
Old 02-03-2002, 01:01 AM   #29
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

Quote:
Cool! Is she single!
Single and 13.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:07 AM   #30
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka

Single and 13.
Well, best of luck then. Might I suggest a dual-barrel shotgun?
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote