Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
View Poll Results: What increase did you see?
0-5% 9 28.13%
6-10% 3 9.38%
11-15% 2 6.25%
16-20% 1 3.13%
21-25% 2 6.25%
26-30% 1 3.13%
31-35% 6 18.75%
36-40% 1 3.13%
41-45% 1 3.13%
46-50% 0 0%
51-55% 1 3.13%
56-60% 0 0%
61-65% 1 3.13%
66% or higher 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Boost gas mileage 15-35%

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143848

To summarize the above article, adding 3oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of gas will increase your gas mileage.

I added some to my truck today, and it seemed to increase the power a bit, lower the engine temperature, and (based on very unscientific methods) nearly doubled my gas mileage. I couldn't afford to fill my truck completely to calculate the actual mileage. I usually get 10-12 miles from a 1/2 tank (on the guage) to 3/8 tank (also on the guage) driving normally. Today, with the acetone mixed in, that 10-12 turned into 22 miles, and that was going WFO from stops.

I will continue to use the acetone, and report any negative effects (although I doubt any will occur) here.

If you try it, please post your results (before and after mileage). Include year, make, model, engine size, fuel delivery (carberueted/TBI/MFI/diesel), any fuel/air related mods (intake, K&N, exhaust, ski rack on roof, cargo net, oversize tires, etc.), and type/style of driving (city/easy going, city/one of the pedals is always on the floor, highway/55, highway/my spedometer doesn't go that high, etc. Just make up your driving style, but please no "I drive like my friend Tim" ). I will compile the results in a database so it's easier to see how different cars/trucks/mods did.

To make all replies consistent (easier for me to compile), please just copy and paste the below list into your post.
Year:
Make:
Model:
Engine:
Fuel:
Mods:
Driving type/style:
Before average mileage:
After average mileage:

Also, after you try it, please report your results in the poll.

Here's mine:
Year: 1986
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4
Engine: 350 ci
Fuel: Carbeurated
Mods: Slightly oversize tires, steel cable tailgate
Driving type/style: city/easy going, highway/55
Before average mileage: 11 MPG
After average mileage: <will update when exact figure is availible>
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
Old 03-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Oh, and I should have added:
Gas mileage is the miles since you last filled up (M), divided by the number of gallons you put in (G). Do not top off the tank, or the results will be skewed slightly. The formula using the above variables, M&G, would be:

Mileage=M/G

The tank must be full from the auto-shutoff on the pump when you begin driving, and full from the auto-shutoff when you calculate the MPG.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Where'd you find this stuff at and how much did it cost...this could change everything as far as my next vehicle

EDIT: Won't acetone eat away at any rubber parts of the fuel line???
Old 03-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Update:
I searched the internet for literally hours trying to find any negative effects of acetone. It is not nearly as corrosive as ethanol, which all auto manufacturers approve the use of (up to 10%). However, pure acetone will deteriorate neoprene seals over time. The highest percentage mixed with gas that will help gas mileage is .350%, which is far short of 100%. I don't believe this to be a problem (read the article at the begining of this thread) as gaskets, o-rings, plastic parts, etc. will not deteriorate in a 50/50 mix of acetone and gasoline after 6 months. The identical parts placed in 100% acetone, 50/50 mix acetone and gas, and 100% gas all were identical after 6 months of soaking in their respective liquid. I believe the 100% acetone may have deteriorated the seals slightly because the acetone was slightly black in color. But even the 50/50 mix had results identical to gasoline.

B12 Chemtool is 80% acetone (80% is floating around on the internet, and I found no other numbers, although I also found no concrete percentage), and many people use that product frequently with no problems.

I don't believe that there are any problems with using acetone, but I wanted to alert everyone to the possibility of having to replace o-rings. Teflon rings, on the other hand, do not deteriorate at all. Replacing all the stock o-rings with teflon o-rings would still save you money, considering the savings in gas. In all my searching, I found no suggestion of engine mechanical damage.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydg
Where'd you find this stuff at and how much did it cost...this could change everything as far as my next vehicle

EDIT: Won't acetone eat away at any rubber parts of the fuel line???
Oh, I'm sorry, I posted the price/location in the C/K forum where this originated on AF. I got it at Walgreens. A 16oz. bottle was $2.09. It is used as fingernail polish/paint remover. I opted to get the small bottle for easier pouring, but I plan to buy a gallon to refill it. You can find the gallons at pretty much anywhere that sells paint. Seeing that you work at Menards, I'd imagine you'd get it at a discount.

Rubber, as far as I could find, is not affected by acetone. Neoprene, which may be affected over time, is what most "rubber like" fuel components are made of.

This forum thing can get confusing when 2 people are posting at the same time
Old 03-23-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Ok thanks...I may give this a try.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #7
clampjockey
AF Regular

so how much would i use to a full tank? mines 88, i think my tank is around 80 litres. right now i barely get 400km's to a tank, whatever that works out to be in mpg. how much is a couple of oz's?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #8
L|_|da
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to L|_|da

i think i might pick up some of this acetone stuff on my way home tonight.
does it matter what type/year of car?
ive got a FI V6 FWD 1987 Regency, i jsut had a new timing belt and i dont wanna fuck it up. It seems like there are no detrimental effects and ive searched around and havnt found anything bad so... yeai hitnk ill give it a shot.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
jveik
AF Enthusiast

i just went to my local Omaha Nebraska area hardware store (Westlake/Ace Hardware, i dunno if they have locations in other cities but its basically a much smaller version of menards or home depot) and i bought a 32 ounce bottle of supposedly pure acetone from the paint thinner aisle for about 6 bucks so later this afternoon im gonna fill the tank up and put roughly 6 ounces in. (20 gallon longbed tank) right now, even though the speedo reads 65 to 70 at an actual 60 mph, i think i can roughly get about 10 miles a gallon in the city at normal to slightly slower acceleration rates. its a 350 with a holley carb on top so im hoping the mileage will go up considerably. the only thing really worrying me is that my floats are made of some kind of plastic material and i dont know if they will be "melted" like they would be if i put them in a bucket of carb cleaner. also my jets are made of brass and so is the little carb float valve things that the fuel enters the bowls from. i heard that acetone corrodes brass so im kinda iffy on it. i hope tho that the mixture is weak enuf to not affect em. ill get back to ya all on what happens to it
Old 03-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

ClampJockey- 80 Liters is about 21.1 gallons, which would take just over 6 ounces, which is 177.4 mL. So, If I were you, I'd put about 180 mL in a full tank. Free online converter --> http://www.convertit.com/Go/ConvertI.../Converter.ASP

L|_|da- It will help in any type of vehicle, but fuel injected engines don't seem to benefit quite as much because they are already much more effiecient than carbueretors.

Jveik- I look forward to seeing how a truck very similar to mine does. Mine's got plastic floats also, and (so far) they are fine. So is everything else. My gas mileage, however, seems like it may have dropped off a little bit from when I first put the acetone in it. It is still probably a 35% or better increase over stock.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:48 AM   #11
Will2
AF Enthusiast

I'm a little confused,which is probably rather normal lol, but first you say you bought this at Walgreens(acetone). This nail polish remover stuff has water in it(yes I read the label). I'm having a little trouble convincing myself to add water to my gas tank. And then jveik says pure acetone. Is it? (Yes I'm going to have to read the label). And how did you determine you engine temp was lower? I don't mean to sound like a skeptic but.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #12
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

The front label on the bottle I got said "100% pure acetone", I hate to say it, but I didn't look at the back label. I'll look tomorrow morning and see what it says. My engine temp is lower because the needle moved (ever so slightly) to the left. I didn't use a raytec to get the tenth of a degree accuracy, so I guess I don't know that for sure, but I have no reason to think my guage is wrong.

I was offroading all day yesterday, and I got miles per gallon, not gallons per mile like I usually get (I was in 4x4 low becuase my T-case jumps out of 4x4 high), so I know the acetone is making a difference.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
jveik
AF Enthusiast

yeah on that tank that i tried out acetone on so far i have a pretty decent amount over half a tank on the needle guage and ive gone 110 or so miles so far on the 20 gallon tank. usually to get even close to mileage like that i have to be a complete blue hair grandma driver, but on this tank i have been beating the living hell out of the truck for about the first 60 to 70 miles. this kid drove past my house and was causin a ruckus and i had to chase him down lol yeah thats full throttle for about 5 or 10 miles and then heavy throttle for the rest. i also noticed that it seems to have a tad bit more power but not a huge amount. it still has trouble chirping the tires with that posi rear and the turbo 400 that can do 60+ in first gear. basically, the next tank i get ill accelerate about the same as a fully loaded semi truck and see if i can finally get over that magic number of 15 mpg.

a word to the wise. acetone is apparently a neurotoxin and causes dizziness and so forth so between tanks i would recommend keeping the can and the funnel and all that stuff that comes in contact with acetone in a ziplock bag and put it in your garage or at least the bed of the truck NOT in the cab. i didnt get all the acetone off the measuring cup before and i was gettin pretty buzzed before i realized what was goin on so i would definately be careful with that stuff since it sez DIRECT INHALATION MAY CAUSE DEATH . so especially to u teens out there that sniff the air from whipped cream cans , dont do that with this crap or for anything for that matter cause u could die from it.

anyways, like i sed right now im gettin roughly ten or eleven to the gallon WITHOUT acetone, so ill see with the next tank what i get.

also for u carbureted guys, if ur mileage completely sucks before acetone, try changing the main jets also. just make sure its not too lean or it will backfire when u let off the gas at high speeds (engine braking) and i heard a too lean mix can hurt ur engine. i have a holley 1850 vaccum secondaries 600cfm and i put a later opening power valve and jets that were 4 sizes smaller than before and my mileage went up from about 8 to 11ish. so try that too.

this post is getting too long so im gonna shut up for now... ill let u all know what the slow driving tank gets for mileage...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #14
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for trying it! Definately don't get that stuff on you, breathe it in, or look at it for extended periods of time without adequate eye protection . It's hard for me to believe women put that on their fingers in a 5x8 bathroom with the door shut (I guess some men probably do to, don't want to be sexist).

Update on my results:
-Still no problems (not really an update, but good to hear )
-I put glasspacks on my truck, so my foot is a bit heavier than it was before. I'm going to run through this tank full throttle, then go back to normal driving. I just can't get enough of the roar!
-I went offroading on Saturday, and I think I got MPG, not the GMP that I used to get on the trails. (45 miles from "F" to "E" on a 15 gallon tank, with the 12 mile drive there and back home)
Old 03-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #15
jveik
AF Enthusiast

yeah my last tank that i was driving pretty hard with 6 ounces of acetone i got 11.40 mpg and that tank had a chase with full throttle for 5 or 10 minutes plus two separate occasions of 110 mph on the interstate. i think if i take it slow on my current tank ill probly get 12 or 13 mpg out of it which would definately help a lot. also the 11.4 tank was almost entirely on regular city streets with red lights and stop signs. before i would get roughly 11 mpg on a school week tank that includes about 50 to 60 miles of interstate driving, so i have to factor in the fact that that first acetone tank was not including the interstate i usually have since it was a weekend tank. my school tank should run low in a couple days or so and when it does ill fill ya all in on what i got for mileage.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General