Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #16
chevydrummer76
AF Enthusiast

I respect the power the Evo has but am not impressed at all by its styling. It just looks kinda cheesy to me, especially the wing. But I'd buy a Firebird anyday, they have good styling and are Ls1 powered.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:12 PM   #17
justacruiser
Banned

Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

styling? You mean the lovely econo-box, er I mean 'sport compact' styling with the wing, turbo and AWD installed? Yup.... love the 'styling'...
Old 03-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #18
TatII
AF Fanatic

the looks of cars is purely subjective. the evo looks quit different from a ordinary lancer. the car is pure form follow function. it has flare fenders, funtional front air dams, functional under body diffusers, a large front mount intercooler, a functional hood scoop, and a functional rear wing. just becusae you guys car about the bland styling of a camaro where there is no real form or real purpose of its exterior design. ( only exception of the fire bird with the ram air, and large stagered setup ) other then that its bland as hell. i by no mean love big wings, and altezza taillights. in fact i hate those and i hate stickers. but what i do love is fuctional body add ons. if it does something, i don't care if its ugly. as long as it makes the car faster etc.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 03-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #19
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Reliability- Evo
O-60- Evo
1/4 mile- Close Call
Styling- Subjective (evo in my opinion)
Modability- LS1 (very hard to get much more power out of the EVO for cheap)
Track- Evo (AWD>2WD, weight)
Old 03-09-2004, 10:57 PM   #20
justacruiser
Banned

Reliability- let time tell(Since when does 'mitsubishi' mean the same reliability as 'Toyota' or 'Honda'? I've heard no complaints about the LS1's in Camaros and Firebirds and the Evo has a turbo, which adds stress to the engine.)

Weight- Evo by about 200 lbs.
Mileage- Firebird (19/28)
Transmission- Firebird 6spd (Evo= 5spd)
0-60- Evo
Quarter time- very close (13.4/13.1)
Top speed- Firebird (not sure about the 175 on this)
Modability(price, complexity and availability)- Firebird
Price- Evo

http://www.modernracer.com/mitsubishilancerevo8.html
http://www.engine-power.com/pontiac/firebird_ws6.html
Old 03-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #21
SkyLiNe_GtR-34
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SkyLiNe_GtR-34

modification wise evo wins. have u guys even seen the stage packages for the evo? i mean damn for about 4-5 g u can make a 11 second car.u cant tell me u can make a firebird faster then that for 4-5 more g's.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #22
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

Yo... you gimme $5000 for my LS1...it'll BarBQ, flame broil, have it your way right away, w/ everything on it, and proceed to eat that evo for lunch!!!!!
Old 03-27-2004, 10:55 AM   #23
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

5000 into an evo will put it right next to your ls1.

i really wish that people who don't know about BOTH cars wouldn't reply with ignorant posts...

why are you asking him to change his comparo?
it's his, he asked the questions... quit trying to bring other cars into it.

you want to compare a top of the line firebird against a top of the line lancer...
well, you want top of the line? there's rally editions in japan that will eat the firebird.

and if there's a corner in sight, say good bye to the awd car that will outhandle most anything.

this is a really interesting thread, if it were actually full of well thought posts.

yes, 5000 into a firebird will make it quick.
5000 into an evo8, depending on where you put the money, will get you into 11's easy.

or you can upgrade the turbo/ecu/fmic/exhaust, and get even faster.

it's all about where you put the money.

having a turbo on your motor adds extra stress...

ONLY IF THE MOTOR ISN'T BUILT FOR IT!
which the evo is.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #24
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Ok, you are right about the $5000 thing... but I was just responding to a comment that that much money wont make a 13sec flat car run into the 11s. I'd also like to point out I think this comparo pertains to America and american editions of cars.
Perhaps even with $5000 the evo can keep close to the LS1, just as it does when both are stock... but no matter how you slice it, the LS1 is faster in the straight line, that what is was made for, that's why it is "muscle". Of course the AWD has the corners, but we have the straight-aways. And if you wanna dump more money into the equation, eventually you get a Twin Turbo v8!!!! Within resonable finacial limits, I think it would be a physics immpossibilty to make a Turbo 4 beat a TT v8.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #25
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

spend the same amount of money on both cars, and you will still be very even.
it depends on how you spend the money. you can easily drop 5k into an evo with a turbo/ecu/little stuff, and run 11's or lower if you try, but it'll take alot of tuning and work.

at any rate, it's not hard to spend minimal money on either car to make more power.

for me, i prefer a better fit/finish to the car, better styling (IMO) and better interior bits... recaro seats... mmm...

both cars have long backgrounds in racing and durability (JDM 4g63's don't have the same issues that US market ones did *eclipse/talon*)

you'll also find that the evo is very comparable stock in the 1/4, closer than the numbers indicate.
you can hit low 13's easy in an evo...

www.evolutionm.net lots of fast cars there, and they're done inexpensively.

the same way you can hit 12's in a stock firebird... you can hit low 13's and MAYBE a 12 in an evo...
aftermarket clutch would get you 12's easy in an evo...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...2F4+mile+times
12.9 stock 1/4
Old 03-28-2004, 11:07 AM   #26
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

What issues do american v8s have? And I was under the impression that 1st gen DSMs have issues as well... two kids I used to chill w/ were into them, and they said you had to fix something every once in a while. 1/4 mile times are "close"... close but not equal, just want to point that out.. also, the longer the drag race the more advantage the Trans Am has. So I stll say it is better at doing what it does, going in a straight line, you dont see evo drag cars really, or Firebird rally cars. And you didn't mention what happens when the Trans is TT.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #27
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to camaroincal
I wonder how a 1LE packaged LS1 would do against the evo on the track.

http://www.1le.net/docs/fourthgen_1le_story.html
Old 03-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #28
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

well i think this guy just wants a fast car, in this case dont get the evo, in alhambra in so cal every guy n his mom has an evo, and the evo engine is strong.. its only a 2.0 inline 4 but u can easily pump 400-500hp outta it.. and im not kidding mitsubishi uses this engine in alot of their 4 bangers and they've been using this engine for many car generations, and the evo is a rally car, why would they gear it for the track? or a straightaway? i think if mitsubishi made a nice track car it wouldn't be rally inspired.. jus go get a 350z or some other rear wheel drive car
Old 03-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #29
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
and the evo is a rally car, why would they gear it for the track? or a straightaway?
Yea it is a rally car. All the better for gearing it closer so u can get the most speed in a short straight away like the 1/4 mile. Then brake and turn and do it all over agian. Evo is fast in the 1/4 mile and it will beat an LS1. The Evo will beat a VR4 and a VR4 will beat a LS1 in the 1/4 mile. Either way both cars are fast.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #30
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to camaroincal
Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn3000GTRacer
Yea it is a rally car. All the better for gearing it closer so u can get the most speed in a short straight away like the 1/4 mile. Then brake and turn and do it all over agian. Evo is fast in the 1/4 mile and it will beat an LS1. The Evo will beat a VR4 and a VR4 will beat a LS1 in the 1/4 mile. Either way both cars are fast.
You sound so sure of yourself that the LS1 will lose to these cars. In the 1/4 mile it's a drivers race.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons