Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
701-3000GT
AF Newbie

Boost controller

Day 2 of the new vr4 was good, but i ran into some mysteries with the electronic boost controller
now im not sure if anybody on here has similar controllers or if this makes any sense to anybody but here it goes..
i have the my high boost set to about 13.0 psi just to test the waters and low boost setting set to 9psi
i have my gain on high boost at 80% and limit set to 90% i beleive(when i hit over my set warning boost which is 14.5psi)
start boost is at 6psi i beleive
so anyway, an example is im in second gear and i get on it. it spools hard at about 3500rpms or around there and then spools straight through to 15.5psi which is a little more risky than id like on stock turbos and fuel system, and limits itself back to what its supposed to be at and then back to ~15.5 again and repeats until i let off, this happens in both high and low boost settings (low boost only to be ~9psi)
so i was just wondering if anyone else has and electronic boost controller and what their settings are? or also if anyone knows what i can to about it, if it could be a waste gate is opening to fast or slow (gain settings) or something like that.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: Boost controller

i cant help you out there buddy but i'm sure some of these good moderaters or enthusiast will be able to answer if not i'll ask a good mechanic friend of mine.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
jason_bet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jason_bet

what kind of boost gauge do you have?
Check your vacume lines and make sure there is no cracks or anything on the one to the wastgate.

Jason
jason_bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
TorchedStealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TorchedStealth

Its an autometer boost gauge and it also has a boost gauge built into the controller. We messed with it a bit yesterday and will probably mess with it more today, but you can actually feel it cut the boost and go back up to 15+
2005 Saturn Ion Redline - Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors|E85|Harrop TVS1320 Blower|2.9" pulley|3" Intake|Vibrant Header and catless Downpipe|Hahn 3" catback|N2MB Wot Box w/2-step and no-lift shift|Cobra Heat Exchanger|Hurst STS|Ottp Stage 1 trans mounts|AEM EUGO Wideband|Aeroforce Interceptor|HPTuners (self tuned)|Mop Top Pros Carbon Fiber badges|B&G Springs
TorchedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
cHo
AF Newbie

I'm almost 100% sure that your settings are WAY too high. Might not be the problem but just my opinion.
In order to set your boost, turn it all the way down and start the gain around 5%. And slowly increase the gain til you begin to boost spike. Then go back to the last setting where it didn't spike. Now mess with the set and get your boost up. You should be testing your boost in your higher gears such as 3rd, 4th, and 5th. After getting a nice setup on the higher gears, setup 1st and 2nd as they will boost spike because of shorter gears. Adjust the gain a little down til it stops spiking and wahlah.. done.
Also check for vaccum leaks.
cHo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD