Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #31
LanEvo
AF Regular

A Trade Off

With an Anti-Lag system (upwrds of $7000 american) you know that you are going to kill your engine. Progressiveley and very quickly. Just about killing the engine in one moth of normal driving, if you don't up keep your engine. Though at least your enginge won't blow up in your fac as the case may be wit Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS)

A NOS shot typicly is not used with forced induction systems, unless you are absoluteley sure of what you are doing. If you have nay mistiming in your cams, then your enging will probably start billowing out white smoke due to a bent vavle, or if you lucky just a glown seal somewhere.

But i generally would not combine the two, as both tend to be more useful for different motorsports. NOS, is stypicly used in straightline events (dragracing) to give you that extra horsepower you need to boost your way to the finish line. Turbo is something that is designed more for auto cross, allowing you to recieve boosts of power while going along straight aways and then allow you to loose that power through a turn much like AutoX or Drifting.

Just imagine haveing to use these with other sports, using NOS, but then find that you are about to go into a hairpin, you drop your RPMs and your NOS shot was wasted, or using turbo on a drag strip not that bad an idea, but it won't give you the same boost that NOS will, and when opposing someone using NOS they will most likeley fly by you.
LanEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:31 PM   #32
Volvord 784VC
AF Regular

I really don't understand why these constant replies on antilag systems shortening engine life. The only shortening of engine life would be due to the higher than stock HP any competion engine produces, these increased stresses will shorten an engines life. The other factor would be an improper engine assembly, which is usually the case. NOS is not be used for any long event, simple reason, a 10 lb bottle is only good for about 2:30 minutes of use, not a real advantage in longer races especially factoring in the weight of equipment. Yes NOS is a real option at 1/4 mile racing. Anti lag systems are usually used in high boost engines that use larger turbochargers, the larger turbo results in an increase in boost levels but also an increase in lag time, to maintain a higher turbo speed at lower engine speeds a system in employed such as described in this thread. It is the very high boost levels that will shorten the engine life not the anti lag system

http://www.volvord.com New site

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/ Old site
Volvord 784VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:07 PM   #33
LanEvo
AF Regular

Well volcord I am still referring to the cariant of Anti-Lag system I am used to. Not that i don't believe in your system, the combustion in the xhaust manifold as it makes perfect sense and from the sounds of it you are not talking bull shit. I am simply referring to the system that i know rather than the one you intrduced me to.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:08 AM   #34
tegusdrifter
AF Regular

The downsides to the anti-lag systems are as follow:

A quick rise of the turbocharger's temperature (which jumps from ~800C to the 1100C+ region) whenever the system is activated

A huge stress on the exhaust manifold and pipes (mounted on a street car a bang-bang system would destroy the exhaust system within 50-100 km)

The turbo produces significant boost even at engine idle speeds

The explosions which occur in the exhaust tubes generate important flames which can, sometimes, be seen at the end of the exhaust tube

Reduced engine brake

According to http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html

And this I got from the Misfire System Thread:

CAUTION

This anti-lag system, like all others, causes considerable heating of engine, exhaust valves, exhaust manifold, turbo-charger and exhaust system. Consideration must be given to the possibility of component damage or possible vehicle fire.

Set-up of the anti-lag system MUST NOT be attempted without monitoring EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE (EGT) in the vicinity of the turbine wheel. A knowledge of the maximum safe working temperature a of the turbo-charger turbine is essential. A turbo tacho and a pressure gauge to measure the turbo compressor outlet pressure are also useful tools to assist in the setup of anti-lag.
tegusdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #35
LanEvo
AF Regular

You learn fast young grasshoppa!

I think you covered it there, execept for the point that i am trying to make, without proper cams, the misfires can do hell to your engine, i believe you made a general comment on engines tho, so that's not bad.

Now what we are wondering is about Volvord's version of the anti-lag system. That would do very little to the damage to the engine or trubo on the whole. So i am still how to put this, rather curious about it, i believe Volvord in whole, it's just that i've never heard of or come across a system of that sort . . ever.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:54 AM   #36
tegusdrifter
AF Regular

Volvord's version is based on delayed ignition timing right?
tegusdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:34 AM   #37
Volvord 784VC
AF Regular

No, I detailed the sytem I am familiar with earlier in this thread, it was/is a system that has been used for years, many years prior to the sofisicated electronics used today. By simply installing an injector into the exhaust mainfold before the turbocharger and triggering it with an idle control switch, the fuel entering the manifold will ignite, this expanding gas will maintain a resonable turbine speed and reduce or eliminate turbo lag in competition events..

As I mentioned earlier and was later confirmed the electronic delay system has some very high inherant risks. Any time ignition is retarded combusion temperature increase dramatically, risk of detonation is high, and fuel wash to the cylinders and oil dilution occures. With the system I describe combustion temperatures remain inchanged, the fuel burning in the exhaust does not increase turbo temperatures to a critical level. But I should add a couple items: 1) this system will only produce lower static boost levels of 0.1 to 0.3 bar nothing near the 1.0-1.5 bar mentioned with the electronic version. 2) any antilag system must only be used where the driver is on and off the throttle, not in situations where the throttle is realeased for long periods of time.

http://www.volvord.com New site

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/ Old site
Volvord 784VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:55 AM   #38
ke65000
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ke65000
this might be a stupid question, but oh well, i dont know much about NOS, so my question is, a NOS shot will make your car go about how much faster?

and also this forum has been vary informational,
ive learned a lot from this, thank you.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:08 AM   #39
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: How nitrous works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke65000
this might be a stupid question, but oh well, i dont know much about NOS, so my question is, a NOS shot will make your car go about how much faster?

and also this forum has been vary informational,
ive learned a lot from this, thank you.

one thing we have around here is we hate to call it NOS.....NOS is a brand...we prefer to call it nitrous or N2O

how much faster is hard to say....but nitrous will be preset for a certain shot

a 35 shot will ad 35 Hp a 150 shot will ad 150Hp.....so your car has a certain amout more of hp (depending on the shot) which will make it faster...how much faster it depends on the car and on the shot

if you have a civic si with 160hp and a 50 shot when the nitrous will engage you'll have potentially up to 210hp....so that civic will be as fast as a si with a 210hp engine

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote