Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 07:38 AM   #1
tegusdrifter
AF Regular

Question How nitrous works

Can anyone explain to me precisely how nitrous works?
tegusdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #2
Volvord 784VC
AF Regular

http://www.volvord.com New site

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/ Old site
Volvord 784VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:19 AM   #3
tegusdrifter
AF Regular

Thank you.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:11 AM   #4
tegusdrifter
AF Regular

Can you add nitrous to a turbocharged engine?
Old 07-26-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
Volvord 784VC
AF Regular

Yes...but any increase in engine HP is a result of increased combustion pressures, both Nitros and forced induction increase combustion pressures dramatically, so using both can cause major failure unless you really know what you are doing

Old 07-29-2003, 09:41 PM   #6
LanEvo
AF Regular

Well i hope you understand how nitrous wokrs, now with whatever article you were directed to, though for anyone checking out the thread and too lazy to read or even click, essentialy nitrous (N2O) is composed of two aprts nitrogen one part oxygen, the key to this performance enhancing fluid is the oxygen not the nitrogen. This is beacause oxygen supports combustion, introducing this oxygen will enrich the air with 11% more oxygen than it previously had, all the details there get techincal. But now someone may ask, well then why not just use pure oxygen instead of using any nitrogen at all, well initialy this does not sound like a bad idea, but when too much oxygen is introduced into the cylinder at the point of cumbustion there is simply too much oxygen fueling this powerstroke, this results in EXTREMELEY high temperatures that will kill your engine and specificly your cylinders. This is why we toos in the nitrogen, hopefuly your highschool career has taught you that nitrogen is an extremeley cold substance, c'mon now you remember, the one that was always boiling and was spewing steam everywhere. Yeah well anywas, this nitrous well also have a cooling effect in your powerstroke, so now your 11% increase in oxygen will not have any severe adverse effects on your engine, though you may want to slighty tune it anyways.

Secondley, can you have NOS and a Turbocharger, I suppose it is possible, but not a very good idea. A charger will force induction, so having your nitrous forcefuly induced into your engine could result in, i don't even know, but certainly not good. The HP being demanded out of the engine would probably result in, damn i have NOOOO CLUE! just don't do it, unless you are absolutley your engine will handle it.

Not bad for a 15 year old eh?
LanEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 03:28 AM   #7
tegusdrifter
AF Regular

I've heard about people avoiding turbo lags by using Nitrous shots. Is this possible?
Old 08-07-2003, 04:09 AM   #8
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by tegusdrifter
I've heard about people avoiding turbo lags by using Nitrous shots. Is this possible?

yes some drag racers use it just for that....

another very good result of using nitrous and turbo is the cooling effect that N2O has on the heated air blown by the turbo

the biggest problem with this setup is that it makes it much harder to tune the turbo engine if you add nitrous in the combination.....

and lanevo put it very well.....any compound with a higher percentage of O2 than nitrous will cause a very violent explosion(detonation) instead of the smooth explosions that are optimal to power the engine....one thing that you got a bit confused about is the nitrogen....it is not the nitrogen itself that causes the cooling effect is the whole N2O gas.....any gas that expands will have an endotermic effect not just nitrogen

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 03:24 PM   #9
LanEvo
AF Regular

Thanks for the correction Neutrino,

But as for using nitrous shots to defeat turbo lag, yes it is possible to do that, tho not all that common, typicly only drag racers use it. But since your name consists of the word drift, maybe it would be helpful to know about anti-lag systems.

Often called bang-bangs they allow misfires in the engine so that there will still be exhaust heading to the exhaust system allowing the turbo to keep on spooling even when your foot is off the gas. Rally racers use this system all the time, if you ever watch WRC stages, whenever you see a rally racer take a corner you will often hear some very loud bangs these are the misfires that the anti-lag system creates, i find that these systems are most often used on Lancers and Imprezas though it is possible to find them on other cars.

These are very rare for any street racer to have tho, these are extremeley exspensive systems, and will kill your engine in a matter of weeks or even days.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:39 PM   #10
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by LanEvo

Often called bang-bangs they allow misfires in the engine so that there will still be exhaust heading to the exhaust system allowing the turbo to keep on spooling even when your foot is off the gas. Rally racers use this system all the time, if you ever watch WRC stages, whenever you see a rally racer take a corner you will often hear some very loud bangs these are the misfires that the anti-lag system creates, i find that these systems are most often used on Lancers and Imprezas though it is possible to find them on other cars.

These are very rare for any street racer to have tho, these are extremeley exspensive systems, and will kill your engine in a matter of weeks or even days.

yes those anti lag systems are very nice.....gotta love those pops

(\__/)
Old 08-07-2003, 07:41 PM   #11
LanEvo
AF Regular

Quote:
gotta love those pops
ahh yes how sweet it is.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:57 PM   #12
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by LanEvo

ahh yes how sweet it is.
as homer would say mmmmm......antilag.....drool

(\__/)
Old 08-07-2003, 09:32 PM   #13
Volvord 784VC
AF Regular

The system you are referring to is actually quite simple, we used it on several of our pro rally cars. An injector is mounted in the exhaust pipe just upstream from the turbo, when activated any time the throttle is released a signal is sent to open the injector which introduces fuel into the exhaust manifold (header). Because of the high temperatures the fuel ignites immediately and the expanding gasses keep the turbo spooled up, at the same time generating those "cool" backfires, the system is hard as hell on the exhaust but works good to maintain turbo speed.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:36 PM   #14
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Volvord 784VC
The system you are referring to is actually quite simple, we used it on several of our pro rally cars. An injector is mounted in the exhaust pipe just upstream from the turbo, when activated any time the throttle is released a signal is sent to open the injector which introduces fuel into the exhaust manifold (header). Because of the high temperatures the fuel ignites immediately and the expanding gasses keep the turbo spooled up, at the same time generating those "cool" backfires, the system is hard as hell on the exhaust but works good to maintain turbo speed.

yeah but you can tell bye bye to the turbo very soon.....

btw i though that it worked by causing the engine to misfire and dump some unburned fuel into the exaust manifold.....

are there two types of systems or was i wrong

(\__/)
Old 08-08-2003, 01:56 AM   #15
LanEvo
AF Regular

Hmm I have never heard of your version Volvord, i do not mean to contradict you and please do enlighten me and correct me if i am wrong,

But the way i know it is that when you let up on the gas, the anti-lag system will keep a butterfly valve about halfway open, so when your foot is off the gas but fuel is still coming in, the cycles won't be timed properly which results in a purposeful misfire, dumping semi combusted fuel into the exhaust manifold to "feed" or spool the turbo.