Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

camel backs?

pure and simple... what are they?... ive seen them, but have heard very little about them.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: camel backs?

Camelback is the name of one of the mountains on the edge of Phoenix. It is also the name of the road where the high school of the same name resides in Phoenix, where the famous "Alice Cooper" went to school.

That being said, I assume (always a bit dangerous), you mean what certain geopraphical areas refer to as "camel hump" heads. Others call them "double hump".

In the short version, "double hump" heads are 327 heads. There are a few variations on the casting numbers. There are a couple versions that were released from the factory with the famed "2.02" intake valve (means 2.02" in diameter). The vast majority were equipped with 1.94" intakes, 1.5" exhaust and 64 CC combustion chambers.

For many years, it was a perception that these heads were the "good" small block heads. Well, IMO, that's true IF you're using a 327. These heads were obsolete as of the model year '69. That's when "041" was released. The number "041" is the last three digits from the casting number. 041 flows better, has accessory bolt holes in the ends of the heads, and retains the 64 CC chamber.

Truth is, in today's market, "double hump" heads belong on restorations, not "hot rods". There are so many better choices for performance now, especially in the aftermarket, there's no valid reason for cutting up a classic. This statement goes against the popular thinking among the ametuer racers and back-yard guys, but most engine builders will tell you the same thing.

FWIW

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
C2Z06
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to C2Z06

My HS friend had a '70 Impala, 4-door with a 350 and the "camel heads" on it. The factory rating was 300hp and 380+lb-ft (could be off on the torque but the HP was listed on the intake manifold).

That big boat would take down a 92 Stang GT outfitted with a supercharger. It was the fastest car in Abiline Tx (At least among highschoolers) except for a few IROCS and a ZR-1 some lucky girl's daddy bought her!

Ah to bee 17/18 again and it's 1992/1993 again. I wouldn't go back! But I do miss the lack of responsibility!
C2Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

C2Z06,

We're talking about apples and oranges. In the vernacular, the only "double hump" or "camel hump" heads are 327 with no accessory holes in the ends. These don't "fit" a '70 model without changing ALL the bracketry. The 041 head HAS little "hump" markings, but these have accessory holes and are simply called "041". We have seen and heard younger guys refer to them as such, but as a "moldy oldie", I can tell you, they're refering to the 327 stuff.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical