Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Excursion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:55 AM   #16
novark
AF Newbie

Re: increase of gas mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmlilg
I have a 2000 Excursion and my mileage was around 12.5 on the hiway which was nothing to write home about so I did a little research also, now I get 16 on the hiway. Here is what I found and none of it will effect your warrenty. I bought and installed a fuel body spacer which can be found at Summit Racing for around $45 and a K&N air filter which was also around $45. As I was installing everything I looked at where the air intake got it's air from. Now this was where I believe I got most of my mileage, the air intake stops right in front of the plastic support at the side of the rediator. I pulled the front grill off which just pops on and cut a square hole into the plastic right in front of the air intake. Now I get great mileage in respect to a V10 and I have noticably more power. What I found doing my little research was that the more cold air you can get into and engine and the larger the pipes to get the exhaust out of the engine the better power and mileage you will get.

Good luck.

g
What is the dimension of the square hole you cut in the plastic panel? Is the hole square or rectangular? Have you experienced any problems with water or other "debris" entering the air filter?
novark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #17
gmmlilg
AF Newbie

The hole that I cut is basically the same size as the intake hose and it is a rectangle. I have not had any problem with road debris or water. I do have a K&N filter and I clean it about every 5k when I do the oil change unless I have been off road alot.
gmmlilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #18
novark
AF Newbie

I have 2001 Excursion V 10. Gas milage averages 10.8 mpg. Very little city driving, mostly highway trips of around 60 to 150 miles. With the price of gas....$2.00 a gallon...I need to do all I can to improve it.

Any more suggestions????
novark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #19
gmmlilg
AF Newbie

I know the small mods that I did were pretty simple and increased my mileage right away. The next thing on my list was to go for a Cat back system (exhaust). Something else to consider is to run your tires at just below max pressure, I found that helped also. Of course with the old firestone tires you had to run them at around max to keep them inflated.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #20
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tarheel4eva
Re: Re: increase of gas mileage?

Quote:
I know the small mods that I did were pretty simple and increased my mileage right away. The next thing on my list was to go for a Cat back system (exhaust). Something else to consider is to run your tires at just below max pressure, I found that helped also. Of course with the old firestone tires you had to run them at around max to keep them inflated.

The tire pressure is 80psi I was told to keep it at 60 to be safe should I go higher to 70? I don't want to blow it out when I'm driving and getting the tires warm.
tarheel4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #21
gmmlilg
AF Newbie

I run mine at 70 psi as for blowouts on the hiway most are caused by under inflation or overloading the vehicle. Ford puts real low limits on airpressure so that you get the softest ride. I increased my mileage and got a stiffer ride in the corners when driving mountain roads. I live in northern Nevada where it is normal to go from 4k ft. to 7k ft. when you travel.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #22
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

Quote:
I have a 2000 Excursion and my mileage was around 12.5 on the hiway which was nothing to write home about so I did a little research also, now I get 16 on the hiway. Here is what I found and none of it will effect your warrenty. I bought and installed a fuel body spacer which can be found at Summit Racing for around $45 and a K&N air filter which was also around $45. As I was installing everything I looked at where the air intake got it's air from. Now this was where I believe I got most of my mileage, the air intake stops right in front of the plastic support at the side of the rediator. I pulled the front grill off which just pops on and cut a square hole into the plastic right in front of the air intake. Now I get great mileage in respect to a V10 and I have noticably more power. What I found doing my little research was that the more cold air you can get into and engine and the larger the pipes to get the exhaust out of the engine the better power and mileage you will get.

Good luck.

g

With the body spacer would I have to get a new Intake manifold or is the V10 stock manifold sufficient? With a lot more air entering in the engine would it be okay to just install the spacer! The exhaust pipes on my X is pretty big to let all the burnt gases out. I have looked at the Summit racing web site to find an air intake manifold, but I could not find one. Maybe, I wasn't looking hard enough.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #23
gmmlilg
AF Newbie

My spacer came with the necessary hardware to hook up to my stock manifold and took about 20 - 30 minutes to install. It was pretty easy in all.

g
Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #24
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

I have read about this spacer and it explaons that it helps create a vortex of air into your manifold am I correct or mislead on this? If you have noticed improvement on your ex then I'll give it a try!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:30 AM   #25
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

[quote=gmmlilg]I have a 2000 Excursion and my mileage was around 12.5 on the hiway which was nothing to write home about so I did a little research also, now I get 16 on the hiway.

Does your trip indicator on the overhead changes with the mods? Just wondering cause mine reads 11.7 MPG. Witht these mods would the cpu "learn" the changes of air volume and change the overhead display? Just wondering!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #26
gmmlilg
AF Newbie

Yes the overhead will pick up the mileage change but I forgot to say that when I was putting my throttle body spacer on it instructed me to undo the battery so that the air oxygen sensor would reset.

sorry,
g

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Excursion