Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #16
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakmech
I will make this clear to you if your looking to buy up old models and sell them on E-bay. Any car kit that is 1/12 or larger will bring in a profit. They are rarely made any more but desired by many. One of the prides of my collection is a 1/12 Ferrari Tessarossa Spyder by Italeri. I found it in a shop on sale for $23.99. Ive been offered $275 for it and that was at the mention of having it. Also buy any pre 80's kit but be sure its not a re-issue! originals this old will turn a profit. the 80's models are tricky and the best thing to do is check e-bay to see what they are going for before buying. In fact you can take pics of the models at the store then check what they sell for. BUT....
A word to the wise.... I was doing this for a smalll amount of time and found rare kits in the southeast and sold (or couldnt sell them) them on e-bay and i found that the people that wanted the kits and would pay what they were worth never seemed to come up with the money so the chances that your hobby shop is siting on a gold mine is unlikely but there might be a few hundred to be made to buy some models you want.
freakmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #17
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

P.S. and as with everything on E-bay is right time right place. you need to find a buyer that wants the kit so bad he'll pay what its worth. Its better to go to forums and search for what people are looking for and buy those kits. e-bay you could lose money just placing adds over and over again. hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:44 PM   #18
99civichic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 99civichic
I wasn't looking so much as to turn a profit as to help people out here. For all I know, I could be looking at a kit that would complete someone's collection, or that someone's been looking for with no luck. I go to hobby stores across the state of Texas.
99civichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:12 AM   #19
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco
Re: Re: What are some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk312
I`m not sure how many people are after this kit, but I have a copy of Scale Auto Enthusiast from the summer of 1994 that had an article about a promotional model for the movie "Used Cars". It looked like an old Monte Carlo or Grand Prix on the front (late 70`s, early 80`s). It also had a picture of Kirk Douglas (i think??) on the front, who was the star of the movie. I have never seen one of these for sale anywhere, and I`ve been in this hobby since `82. I think in the article, this was suggested as the rarest model kit, and only given out to a few involved with the movie..
LOL- That was the annual "april fools" issue!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk312
Another one that I notice is very desirable on places like Ebay is Monogram`s 1/8 Trans Am. Usually they go $150 plus for the non-turbo version, and I`ve seen them go for alot more. Considering they sold for $30 or so at the time, that is a pretty good return. I would love to have one.
I've got one... Let's talk!!

A gunze "hi-tech" Jag XKE went for $56.00 on e-Bay last night, they normally go over $175.00!!! Damn movie date!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 01:41 AM   #20
99civichic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 99civichic
Re: What are some "rare" kits??

This is will:

I used to have a huge model of a 3rd gen trans am that was twin turbo...It was my bro's and it had a poor start and by the time i got it it had tons of broken pieces and was a lost cause...I stole the big turbo's for a single turbo conversion or so on a supra and tossed the rest of the model.

William
99civichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #21
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

I'm forever searching for an MPC 1971 Bonneville and Grand Prix....
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #22
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Re: What are some

well if that is the case i am always willing to buy any and all of the 1980's Testors kits that are in big bright yellow boxes
Old 11-23-2004, 04:55 PM   #23
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

these are what im looking for.... this series, any car, there were about 20+ cars in this series i want them all!!!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #24
Hawk312
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
LOL- That was the annual "april fools" issue!!
Yeah! Someone else has this issue!!
I liked the article about spraying your model boxes to avoid "pock marks" left by "plastids". Or the Melf`s; the cars that look like the tires have melted down, complete with coverage of the "Melffest".
The "Used Cars" model was one of the few legit stories in that one.

Quote:
I've got one... Let's talk!!
You got a PM!

1/12th `69 Z/28 Camaro and 1/12 `67 Corvettes
Hawk312 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling