Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
biggdog
AF Newbie

new to Vans

I just bought my wife a 2003 Dodge 1500 full size conversion van. It is the first van I have ever had. How do you get the inside motor cover off? I found the two clipd in the passenger foot wells, and unhooked those, but it still feels like there is something holding it on. There is carpet glued in the cover that extends to the floor, is this all that is holding this? I'm doing this to change the air filter to a K&N filter to help the gas milage. This 318 sucks down the fuel.

Thanks for your help,
Biggdog
biggdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:00 AM   #2
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge
Re: new to Vans

Are you serious? Open the hood. Don't take the doghouse out.
BleedDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:00 AM   #3
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

If you just want to look at the wimpy 318, pull the carpet back and you'll see the rest of how to get the doghouse apart. Put the passengers seat all the way back too, or you'll be there for an hour and crack your windshield trying to get it out of the way.

But the air cleaner is accesible from under the hood, not like the old '71-93 vans with the big doghouse.

Improve your gas mileage with an air filter? Ok, but you don't really think that's gonna do much, do you? You'll be lucky if you get 15-17mpg out of it no matter what you do. If you're not getting that, you need a tuneup!
Big van, 600 pounds of conversion equipment, a 5.2L and a rear that's probably 3.23:1 or less. Hmm... a slug with a 200 pound fiberglass roof creating huge amounts of drag.... no wonder the mpg sucks. Maybe 15-17 you won't even see...

You could put flowmasters on it and gain some economy, but your wife will kick your butt for spending that much money, and you'd have a howling drone all the way down the road inside the van, and she'll kick you again for the noise!

Sorry for the bad news,

Slantsixness
Old 06-18-2004, 07:58 AM   #4
DioGreer
AF Newbie

I have worked on a 92 ram van, and the doghouse was attached with the two rear clips and two floor bolts in the front. I never had trouble removing it, but in newer models it could be harder. If you dont need to remove it, then dont.
DioGreer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van