Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
Los
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Los Send a message via MSN to Los
A couple of questions about the LS

Hello. I'm coming close to joining the market in wanting to get a Lincoln LS. Though I'm crossed between a 98 Cobra and an 03 LS, I'm favoring the LS simply because its sooooo phat.

Anyways, a few questions:

How much gas mileage does the LS get between the city and the highways?

How is the aftermarket shaping up for the LS, or if there is even is one?

How similar are the Thunderbird motors to the LS motors?

What are stock timeslips and what is the fastest LS, with mods, if its possible to list them.

Thank you in advance.
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #2
stakemkr
AF Newbie

I can't help you very much with your questions but I can tell you that I have a 02 LSE V8. I never did distinguish city from highway exactly. But highway I get around 20 -22mpg. My all around average is 18 for city and highway. I live in a town of 8800 people and 3 stoplights. So there is not a lot of time sitting at the corners and lights. I would guess city milage would be less in bigger cities.
stakemkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
CGGorman
AF Enthusiast

Re: A couple of questions about the LS

OK...first off check out www.llsoc.com. It's the Lincoln recognized LS owners club and can supply you with answers to questions you didn't even know you had.

Now to your questions:
-Milage for the '02 V8 ranges from 17 to 28. '03-'04 is about 1 MPG better.
-Aftermarket is sparse but growing. '03's don't have anything yet. '00-'02's have several body kits, nitrous, springs, exhaust, CAI (through the LLSOC only), brakes, etc.
-Thunderbird and LS drivetrains are virtually identical.
-low to mid 15's for a stock '00-'02 V8. High 14's low 15's for an '03 V8. The fastest I've seen came from a V6 w/manual and nitrous @ about 12 (I think)

The LS isn't a rocket. At nearly two tons, it never will be. Don't expect anything other than a balanced performer. It does everything quite well.
CGGorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Los
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: A couple of questions about the LS

That's the site where you have to pay for membership right? Meh...

Anyways, thanks for your insight; I want my future LS to be just a 13 second cruiser... and LS1 hurter.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
CGGorman
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: A couple of questions about the LS

To be a full-access member, yes. It's $35 a year. If you're a LS enthusiast, it's well worth the money. The discounts alone have saved me almost $500 this year...not to mention the TSB's and Lincoln Engineering participation, etc.

Anyway, 13 seconds shouldn't be a problem with nitrous.
CGGorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 09:42 PM   #6
ONEBADMK8
Banned

Re: Re: Re: A couple of questions about the LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los
That's the site where you have to pay for membership right? Meh...

Anyways, thanks for your insight; I want my future LS to be just a 13 second cruiser... and LS1 hurter.
Give me a ring. Were almost in the 13's with our Project LS8R right now.

Heres the dual exhaust we have for the 8's.

Were also working on a new cold air intake as well.
ONEBADMK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:38 AM   #7
Los
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: A couple of questions about the LS

that is a badass setup.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:16 AM   #8
ONEBADMK8
Banned

Thank you very much. It sounds ultra exotic too.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:59 AM   #9
lsman
AF Newbie

Los. Bet you're a bundle of fun when you go into a restaurant and expect to eat for free huh? Ever try to join the BMWCCA? They charge for membership too. So do a lot of other car clubs that I belong to. LLSOC is no different from any other car club except it looks like they are the only one that's licensed to display the actual Ford TSBs. That alone was worth the 35 buck to give me the ammo to take my LS back to the dip dealer and have them fix a transmission problem properly. LLSOC also has a kick-ass cold air intake system available now for purchase to the members.

I'd say just buy the Magnaflow cat-back system that Magnaflow offers. It's lifetime warranteed. Bet it's cheaper than that one and it's got smooth mandrel bends instead of the crimp bends. I would put one on my 2003 but they don't make one so I'm not going to bother until they do.
lsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:37 PM   #10
ONEBADMK8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsman

I'd say just buy the Magnaflow cat-back system that Magnaflow offers. It's lifetime warranteed. Bet it's cheaper than that one and it's got smooth mandrel bends instead of the crimp bends. I would put one on my 2003 but they don't make one so I'm not going to bother until they do.

There is no pricing yet for our system.
I can guarantee it will be cheaper then the Magnaflow system.

That system pictured is a prototype made from aluminized steel that we are working on as I write this.

Our final version will feature lifetime warrantee stainless steel LMS XpansionX chamber mufflers and mandrel bent piping.

The mufflers used on this system are the LMS XpansionX chamber ss lifetime mufflers (the same one's we use on the Mark VIII's).

Heres a copy from our press release for the muffler. This will provide you some background on the muffler and its technology.

The LS8’s ever growing appetite for low end torque and a completely resonation/drone free exhaust system now has been satisfied.

As you can see here in the cutaway shot, the XpansionX power chamber is clearly visible.

The nipples are 2 1/2 inch then they neck up to 3 inch then run through the Internal X.

Los, you never know what may be in their message board until you join ?

Brian Gowan is the head honcho over there and despite some "banging of the heads" a long time ago between myself and him,
he does seem to be a down to Earth cool Guy with alot of good ideas and Great contacts.

It may be worth checking out for yourself. I mean hell you spend $35.00 filling up your tank with Sunoco 94 Ultra, how bad can it really be.

Last edited by ONEBADMK8; 10-02-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:53 AM   #11
Quik_LS
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Quik_LS
Los – the LS was designed to go after the BMW 5 series, which it beats in ever measurable way. Extremely well balanced car, it tosses and throws very, very well.

If you are considering a Cobra - IMO the Cobra has much more available aftermarket, much easier to work on, and is really targeted at a different group of folks. Many LS owners came from Mustangs, and miss the off-the-line shot but traded up for the sosphication of the LS.

BTW: IMHO the LLSOC is one of the best ‘communities’ ever – from enthusiasts with V6 NOS to V8 w/20” wheels, former Mustang owners to former BMW owners, people that want to go faster with people would wish the suspension was softer. There are a bunch of Ford engineers that participate making it a real learning opportunity. THere are instructions on everything from re-wiring your shifter to upgrading your center-channel speakers - because there is such a vast range of owners someone somewhere has tried it and posted instructions.

You may recognize my handle – I am also a member of TRS.
#0018 ESP SCCA solo2

LLSOC.com - President
see my mean LS
see my Lotus Esprit - Quiker
Quik_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:40 PM   #12
ONEBADMK8
Banned

Quote:
lsman
LLSOC also has a kick-ass cold air intake system available now for purchase to the members.
Ive seen that product.

Actually its just a K&N style filter (USA Green from what I saw?) with a stub stack and new piping.

That is just an intake system, not a cold air kit.

A cold air kit is just that, it only recieves COLD outside air via a ram-air set-up or a box for which to enclose the filter to sheild the hot underhood engine air from getting into the mix.

That set-up you mentioned is pulling HOT air from under the hood which robs power.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:55 PM   #13
Quik_LS
AF Regular

Re: Re: A couple of questions about the LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEBADMK8
Ive seen that product.

A cold air kit is just that, it only recieves COLD outside air via a ram-air set-up or a box for which to enclose the filter to sheild the hot underhood engine air from getting into the mix.

That set-up you mentioned is pulling HOT air from under the hood which robs power.

Right - the next steps are to design outside ram-air either via a snorkle feed from behind one of the grills or via hood scoop.
#0018 ESP SCCA solo2

LLSOC.com - President
see my mean LS
Old 10-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #14
ONEBADMK8
Banned

Were doing it as I write this.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:27 PM   #15
Quik_LS
AF Regular

which way are you going - scoop or snorkle? pics?
#0018 ESP SCCA solo2

LLSOC.com - President
see my mean LS