Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #46
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Re: 2.5rs vs 300zx

maybe i am that 10%.
i just remember someone pulling in front of me from the inside and the brakes not behaving how i expected them to behave and requiring me to cadance.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #47
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

I agree, it's very rare that a faster car is going to make you want to drive slower to more thoroughly explore the limits of a car. Take me for a example. I'm a pretty aggressive driver by nature. Back when I had my Camry, I drove the shit out of it, but I never really pushed it as hard as I could, because...it was just a Camry. I knew exactly what would happen if I tried to take a 90-degree right-hander at 40 mph in that car. Then I got my '04 Lancer Ralliart, and suddenly, I was superman! It was considerably sportier than the Camry, and driving it back to back with my friend's Evo, though it obviously didn't perform nearly as well, it had the same kind of feel. Well, it took me a grand total of four days to smash that car into a wall at 78 mph, totalling it. So, I speak from experience when I say that moving up to a sportier car is going to make you want to drive faster.

However, at the end of day, it definitely does come down to the driver. When I get my Impreza last August, I didn't even push it at all for six months. I took it slow, gradually learning how the car reacts to trail braking, feinting, e-braking, etc., because I had learned the cost of recklessness. So, I would strongly advise starting off with a slower car and learning how to control your car before you step up to something like a 300ZX Twin Turbo.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #48
triplerox
AF Regular

To be honest, i am truly a safe driver. I never did any crazy things with my car. I may go past the speed limit most of the time but then who doesnt? I know the safety issues when it coems to cornering or driving in the hills so most of the time i drive safely around those areas. I guess you guys are right about putting a novice driver in a fast car. We won't really know what happen until i get in one. I won't be driving recklessly with it though, thats for sure. I just need to learn how to drive it properly.
triplerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #49
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

if I were going to college I don't think I would be wanting a car payment anyway. Get something cheap and as new as possible.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #50
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplerox
To be honest, i am truly a safe driver. I never did any crazy things with my car. I may go past the speed limit most of the time but then who doesnt? I know the safety issues when it coems to cornering or driving in the hills so most of the time i drive safely around those areas. I guess you guys are right about putting a novice driver in a fast car. We won't really know what happen until i get in one. I won't be driving recklessly with it though, thats for sure. I just need to learn how to drive it properly.
Then just get an N/A 300ZX. It'll be cheaper in every way, and you'll have an easier time learning to drive in an N/A than a twin turbo. If you decide you want the twin turbo power once you get good with the N/A, there's nothing stopping you from buying one.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #51
triplerox
AF Regular

Alright guys, I think i'll probably will be searching for N/A 300zx. Anyone here knows much about it? How reliable are these cars? I found one within my budget, but it has liek 130k on it already.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:45 AM   #52
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
Alright guys, I think i'll probably will be searching for N/A 300zx. Anyone here knows much about it? How reliable are these cars? I found one within my budget, but it has liek 130k on it already.
they are very reliable but they are older so they will have a few maitenance things to come along.

easily known to last 200k miles without any huge problems if well taken care of.

dont buy an automatic...try to stay away from the 89-90. thats about it...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #53
triplerox
AF Regular

it's goign to be my first time purchasing a used car from the dealers lot. what should i be expecting from the car? what should i look out for? any tips?

oh and also, whats wrong with the 1990 models?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:06 AM   #54
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
it's goign to be my first time purchasing a used car from the dealers lot. what should i be expecting from the car? what should i look out for? any tips?

oh and also, whats wrong with the 1990 models?
ah...problem with Z32s (90-96 300zxs) is that they can hide problems really well, from the cramped engine bay to the sophisticated electronics. granted, the N/A is alot simpler and there are less problems that are easy to cover up (like overboosting).

basically, 90's had what they call "soft valves". i could sit down and explain it to you but all is it is that nissan changed the valves because some of the earlier ones off the production line tended to lose compression after so many miles. basically, if it hasnt happened by 100k miles, it probably isnt gonna happen. if your looking at automatics, im pretty sure the 90' automatics were a little less stout than the later models. thats essentially it...

just drive it, make sure it is solid, ask the owner about anything you see or find suspicious...if he starts getting jittery you know he is covering up something. sometimes it may be wise to take it to a experienced Z mechanic (if you live in an area with one) before you buy it and have them look it over. most shops charge like half an hour labor charge to do a pre-purchase inspection.

with the N/A...when looking it over...just look over it like you would with any other used car. ask questions...alot of times you can sense sketchiness just buy keeping the conversation going.

difference in models and some differences in years:

90's - no air bag
91's - some had air bags?
92's some had air bags?
93's - all had air bags, convertible model offered

2+2 - about 8 inches longer than the 2 seater and has a pair of book shelves behind the driver's seat. 100lbs heavier than 2 seater
slicktop - no t-tops and pure base models. 200lbs lighter than 2 seater coupe
2 seater coupe is the standard. weighs in at about 3300lbs.

those should be able the only variations in the N/A models. there were a bunch more changes with the TT models.

good luck
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:21 AM   #55
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

"Soft valves" explained:

The early models, mostly 1989 models outside of the US but a few early run 1990 US models, had an intake valve that was significanly harder than the later style vavles. Thats all well and good except that at higher rpms the valve would sometimes start to "bounce" off the valve seat as it closed. Meaning it closed hard enough it would bounce off slighly before closing, just as if you hit a piece of cast iron with a hammer, it would strike and bounce off a few times before laying flat. Anyway, that bouncing had a tendency to damage the valve seat which can lead to low compression.

Heres a bit more detailed write up:

http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...&msg_id=916703

Anyway, it happens with some, doesn't with others, there is hard driven 90 models out there with 200k+ miles on them without the symptoms of "valve bounce".

Here is a decent write up for purchasing a Z:

http://twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/FAQpag...urchasing.html

Z32s are pretty reliable, they don't really have any particular part or system that likes to break.

If an early model make sure the PTU recall work was done. It's located on the passenger side timing belt cover with two wires connecting to it on opposite sides. The original would be made of metal with ridges on it, the correct later type would be made of black plastic.

See if you can find out when the last timing belt service was done. Nissan puts timing belt replacement on the NAs out at 105,000 miles but given the service work done at 60,000 it's usually replaced then by owners. There is also a bit more extensive 120,000 mile servicing. You can get all of parts as a kit from places like www.conceptzperformance.com and its all pretty simple work.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #56
...ladies
AF Newbie

300zx has much much more performance. really no comparison. i'v actually found decent tt 300's for 5 grand.. im actually looking for an n/a just because its a first car then later swap in the tt. i would definitly go with the 300zx unless you have to drive in quite a bit of snow and all. should be an any decision on this one.
...ladies is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons