Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Question Airbrush Leaking

I have a aztek 7778 airbrush, with no compressor yet, i noticed that everytime i use it with airbrush propellent, the nozzle seems to leak, i tried all the nozzles, airbrush works fine, but it leaks, could it be broken, i mean if i buy a compressor i won't mind cause it'll be free air, but air brush propellant is pretty expensive. I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem, or knows how to solve it. Also once the propellant has been used for a little bit, the leak seems to decrease, with enough pressure for airbrushing, could the propellant have too much pressure for the air brush? Any feedback would be appriciated!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
dag65
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to dag65
Re: Airbrush Leaking

Have you used the little wrench to tighten the nozzle? There is a small plastic washer to seat the nozzle and if its not tight it will leak air
Old 01-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Verminator
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Verminator
If your talking about leaking paint then yes I have the same problem if I use it for too long I end up with paint all over my hand, ive tried tightening the end and I even sent it back for testing and repair and they couldnt find a problem either. I think it may be a design problem as I know at least two other people who have the same issue.
Verminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

yeh i tried using the wrench, no it doesnt leak paint, just air
Old 01-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakmech
Guys you really need to stop buying that propellent crap. its $$$$$. next time instead of buying a $10 can of propellent, go buy a $20 airtank and fill it up at the gas station once a week. surely you or your parents go to the gas station once a week right?

freakmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:56 PM   #6
AF Regular

My Aztek's nozzle never seated against the body since I bought it. It was at least a 1mm gap and I wondered why the heck the gasket was even there. I guess it does leak a very small amount because I see bubbles come out of there when I clean the unit.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Airbrush Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008
My Aztek's nozzle never seated against the body since I bought it. It was at least a 1mm gap and I wondered why the heck the gasket was even there. I guess it does leak a very small amount because I see bubbles come out of there when I clean the unit.
Mine also. Air (not paint) will leak from around the nozzle to body connection. It's readily visible as bubbles when I use Windex to flush out the acrylic paint, but since it hasn't affected my painting I've never worried about it.

hth,
Bill
Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Technoman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008
Mine doesn't seat fully either but I have never had problems with it leaking air. I have the metal body version.
Technoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
p9o1r1sche

I've gone through three Aztec/Model Master airbrushes in the last three years or so because of the air leaking problem in the valve. I noticed air also leaks from the nozzle area too, like BVIA mentions, but it has not effected the painting. I called Aztek and was told they will only replace airbrushes that have a lifetime warranty on them. The Model Master airbrush I had didnt have this warranty, but they were nice enough to replace it one time. I have come to the conclusion that if you do some serious regular airbrushing, its worth spending extra money and getting an all metal one that can be completely disassembled and rebuilt. Good luck with resolving your problem.
p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #10
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9o1r1sche
I've gone through three Aztec/Model Master airbrushes in the last three years or so because of the air leaking problem in the valve. I noticed air also leaks from the nozzle area too, like BVIA mentions, but it has not effected the painting. I called Aztek and was told they will only replace airbrushes that have a lifetime warranty on them. The Model Master airbrush I had didnt have this warranty, but they were nice enough to replace it one time. I have come to the conclusion that if you do some serious regular airbrushing, its worth spending extra money and getting an all metal one that can be completely disassembled and rebuilt. Good luck with resolving your problem.
Considering that those "high end" Aztek are same price if not more expensive than any good Metal Badger, Iwata or Paasche airbrush, that come to the same conclusion than before: Aztek are overpriced toys..
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #11
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Airbrush Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric
Considering that those "high end" Aztek are same price if not more expensive than any good Metal Badger, Iwata or Paasche airbrush, that come to the same conclusion than before: Aztek are overpriced toys..
I bought one when they first came out, around 1996, when they were still labeled as Model Master. Later I heard a lot of fuss over this "Aztec" and realized it's the same thing that I had, although I figured they probably fixed a lot of the problems it had back then. Apparently not.

The leaking never bothered me either but I was worried at first since I figured there must be a reason they put a washer there. I don't think mine leaked paint although I'm so messy I probably didn't notice it.

I can't complain too much about it since it still works, even with the original three nozzles it came with. Since I acquired a Badger 175T I've only been using the aztec/MM for detail painting and it does the job.
008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:56 AM   #12
Martbee
AF Enthusiast

I won't comment again on Aztec... already did a lot of time (use the search tool to understand what I'm saying) but, I'll comment on the propellant can thing... STOP WASTING !!! It's a big white elephant... Try to find something else to spray your paint... compressor or a spare tire or a anything but stop the can... please. Stay with Aztec if you want but drop the can. It's a big waste of time, moneyssss and do a lot of garbage.
Martbee is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling