Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
malsheem
20 inches and growing ...

Homemade P/E parts problems & questions

Okay, I was giving making my own P/E parts a try using the various resources out on the Internet. I tried the direct toner method since all the equipment is readily available to me. I started with a image of my fret, Fabulous logos for my Fabulous Celsior project. I printed it on 3M transparency paper using an HP LaserJet printer.

So far, so good. Image looks workable. So then I tried to use an iron to transfer the toner onto a brass sheet. I set it to medium-high and left it on the transparency for a few minutes. Then I pulled off the iron. Whiff. It didn't transfer properly. I figured okay let's leave it on longer. Nope. Okay, how about a little hotter. Nope. I've gotten it to the point where the transparency starts to deform.

So what am I doing wrong? The stuff on the web doesn't give specifics on how hot to set the iron or how long, but it shouldn't be this difficult, should it? Any ideas or tips from those who have tried this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CWest R34 Skyline GT-R
malsheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:43 AM   #2
deedlit
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to deedlit
Re: Homemade P/E parts problems & questions

I've never tried but why trying to put the ink on the brass?

If I remember correctly what my dad was doing with his Integrated Circuits.
You will certainly insulate the brass with UV lamps, isn't it? So why not let the clear sheet over the brass, insulate it, remove the clear and then put it in the acid?

Sorry if I've said something wrong, I was a little child when my dad was playing with electronic stuff.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
flyonthewall
Car Mod guy

Send a message via ICQ to flyonthewall

Can't help you with the transfer issue coz not familiar with it but here is something you will need to consider...

When you etch metal, any part of the design can be no thinner than the thickness of the metal. So for example the letters in the logo must be to the same thickness as the metal you are using. You may already know this but I point it out coz some of the letters look very fine, in particular the sprue you have connecting them all.

Incidently a way around the transfer issue is to use metal with a UV coating or coat the metal your self. You will then use your transparency image over the metal as you expose it to UV light. This is how its done professionally so may yield better results in the bedroom/kitchen/shed/workshop.
flyonthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:41 AM   #4
Hiroboy
www.hiroboy.com vendor

Send a message via ICQ to Hiroboy Send a message via AIM to Hiroboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hiroboy Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroboy

Good Question, but sorry I don't know the answer but if you find out a "How To" on the subject would be great.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:42 AM   #5
Inservible
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Inservible Send a message via MSN to Inservible Send a message via Yahoo to Inservible

You have to use white glossy paper for this method, the transparency paper it's only useful for UV transfer. There is a hot transfer paper too, it is used to transfer the image from the paper to a t-shirt by means of a hot iron!!
HTH
'55 Mercedes 300SL "Gull wing"
Inservible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:09 AM   #6
malsheem
20 inches and growing ...

Chris, I read the fact about thin pieces no thinner than the thickness of the metal. I am worried that the connecting parts are too small, but won't know till I get to the etching point. Just trying to get a good resist image first.

I'll play around with this some more, maybe with a larger, less complex design (etched gas/brake pedals or something). Maybe this design is a bit too complex for a first try. Might give the photosensitive method a try if that fails.

Here is the tutorial I used for the P/E parts. http://modeltech.tripod.com/etching2.htm

Text from the direct toner section.
3.Direct toner transfer. This method involves using laser printer or copier toner as the resist. Using this process you make copies of your art, either with a laser printer or a quality copier, onto transparency film, available from an office supply store (Kapton seems to be the preferred choice here). These copies are laid face (toner) side down onto the metal and , using heat from a household iron, the toner is "melted" onto the metal forming an etchant resistant barrier.

Using the direct transfer method: All areas covered by the toner (resist in this case) will be left behind. See though areas will be etched away. However, any lettering must be done backwards, as the transfer procedure reverses the direction of the text.

CWest R34 Skyline GT-R
malsheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Inservible
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Inservible Send a message via MSN to Inservible Send a message via Yahoo to Inservible

As you wish!!
'55 Mercedes 300SL "Gull wing"
Inservible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #8
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco

Quote:
Originally Posted by malsheem
Might give the photosensitive method a try if that fails.
This is the only non-pro method I've ever seen that worked well and consistently for my friends who've tried it. This is far beyond anything I want to try!!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #9
Midnight Racer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Midnight Racer
Here some info that might help you
http://s96920072.onlinehome.us/Fea1/...rt/fea688.html
Midnight Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco