Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 12:24 PM   #1
t330ci
AF Newbie

stock vs 18" wheels

Is there any performance benefit to the new 18" wheels on the 330ci? In the process of negotiating and like the look though not sure 'bout price.
t330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 05:27 AM   #2
nebular18
AF Newbie

well upgrading to a larger wheel will first greatly improve the looks of the car. It will also give the car better grip and handling because the contact surface of the tyre and the road is greater. However, your ride may become harsher because of the lower profile ( less sidewall to cushion ) and your may experience higher fuel consumption and a slightly less responsive acceleration because of the larger turning radius and increased friction. Not to mention the dangers to your rims when you have encounters with potholes and the curb kind.
Personally, i think 17 inch would be fine and they look good enough.
nebular18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 08:06 AM   #3
3.5litermoose
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 3.5litermoose
18's definately look sweet, but damaging them will put a major whole in the old wallet. Im not sure how well 18's fit on 330's but it may deminish your abillity to turn and rub, espesially if your car is lowered.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:19 PM   #4
flyingtoaster
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

I took delivery on my 330Ci with the optional 18"ers three days ago. They are stunning. The car looks so much better than the regular 17"ers, the transformation is amazing.

The handling in turns is very sharp and enjoyable. The ride is not harsh at all, especially compared to the 17"ers. I cannot comment on how easy it is to damage them as I have not yet.

Many expressed dislike with the new 18" wheel type (72 V-spokes), but they flow so well with the car's front titanium lower grill, the clear lenses, and the chrom around the windows that it makes the car look just awesome.

I belive the new 18" option package includes lowered suspension settings as the space between the tire and the wheel arches is about an inch; which is lower than stock 17" steup. This is obviously necessary, and having this done at the factory rather than after market makes me feel better.

One thing I can say is that any 3-series looks great with 18"ers.
flyingtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote