Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Jaymes
AF Enthusiast

Paint not stripping all the way

So I usually have good outcomes using easy off oven cleaner, but this time it left specks of paint on the body and in crevices that make it hard to prep for repaint. Does anyone have any experience and solution to this kind of problem? I tried 90+ alcohol and easy off multiple times but they are stubborn specks. Thanks for looking

Jaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Paint not stripping all the way

I use brake fluid. You have to be careful thought, you don't want it on your skin or any painted surfaces (obviously), or any other finished surfaces.

I use glass baking dish, like meatloaf size. This holds a quart of brake fluid. I have been using it for 2 years now to soak bodies in.

I have noticed that the Tamiya paint is best stripped with the Isopropyl Alcohol, and enamels seem to go quickly with the brake fluid.

I usually let it sit overnight, wear latex gloves, then scrub in the sink with a tooth brush. If you have an electric toothbrush, dedicate one of the heads for this and it will be easier to scrub off.

The best thing about this is I use Tamiya primer, then airbrush auto paint over it. So if I need to strip, I use the brake fluid and it doesn't hurt the primer. Just a quick light sand to clean up the surface and it's ready to go again.

The other problem, is if the paint went through the primer and crazed/etched the plastic, i don't think you can get it out. You'll have to sand it. At least this has been my experience.
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Just sand it off with wet and dry, used wet. I never use brake fluid. It dries out the plastic and makes it brittle. It can also make the dye in the plastic bleed and affect subsequent top coats. I've had a body molded in red plastic make my white top coat turn pink, purely because I'd soaked it in brake fluid and it had made the dye bleed out.
Hemi Killer (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoble View Post
Just sand it off with wet and dry, used wet. I never use brake fluid. It dries out the plastic and makes it brittle. It can also make the dye in the plastic bleed and affect subsequent top coats. I've had a body molded in red plastic make my white top coat turn pink, purely because I'd soaked it in brake fluid and it had made the dye bleed out.

That would explain a few things I have experienced. I never heard that before.
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
RonCla
AF Regular

I've run in to that issue. I've found wiping it with Tamiyas' plastic friendly lacquer thinners will get rid of the specks and then just a light sand with wet and dry should see you good to go.

I've had issues when using brake fluid too. As plastics vary between manufactures it can be a roll of the dice as whether any unwanted issues arise.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paint...er-250ml-87077
RonCla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Jaymes
AF Enthusiast

I will have to look into that tamiya thinner. Thanks for the inputs. I wonder if the brake fluid is stronger than 99% alcohol and easy off...
Jaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Castrol Super Clean

had the same results from older CSC when its about used up, but a new bath should fix that right up.

David
griffin-gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling