Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Canuk
AF Newbie

2001 wiper park position

Recently the wipers on my 2001 Sil started parking themselves in the fully "up" position when they're switched off. When in operation they behave normally (i.e in intermittent mode they pause at the bottom of the windsheild) but as soon as I turn them off they pop up to the "up" position.

Anyone got any idea what's going on and how to get them to park in their normal postion again?

Thanks a bunch.
Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
PteHoward
AF Newbie

Ha.. Must be snow related. Im from canada as well and this happens often on my montana. Usually happens when snow gets jammed under the hood and the wipers cant get back down. So they go up. Two easy ways to try to do it.

1) Clear snow from the bottom of windshield.
2) With turn the switch on to int, when the wipers get to the lowest position, turn the key to off and remove it. (BE QUICK)
3) With van off gently try to rotate the wipers back to the park position. You may have to open the hood to get them fully down.
4) Turn the switch to "OFF"
5) Turn on the ignition and hopefully the wipers will stay in the parked position.

-OR-

According to the Haynes Manual (Ta-da), they reccomend,

"If the wipers stop in the position they're in when the switch is turned off (fail to park) disconnect the multi-function switch electrical connector. If the wipers now park, replace the multi-function switch.

I think my ideas a bit better and it may take a few stabs to work, but its easier then ripping the steering column apart.
PteHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
am1971
AF Newbie

Wiper in upright position

I realize this is a late post reply but I have been plagued with the same problem on my 98. It has to do with the cam unit that is located under the black plastic cover under the hood on the passengers side by the cowel. If you remove the plastic cover (cover is held on with clips, pull up) you will see where the motor is and where the main arm connects. You will also see the cam unit I described. It has what looks like a spring around it. I have found that using (PB Blast rust inhibitor) and spraying that while the wipers are on will loosen it up. It tends to get corroded over time. This instantly remedied the problem on mine.
am1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to am1971 For This Useful Post:
mlbishop60 (06-18-2015)
Old 03-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
Canuk
AF Newbie

Re: Wiper in upright position

Hi am1971,
Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. PteHoward's suggestion works sometimes but not all the time. I have noticed lately that right after I start the driving the wiper will park properly, but after a while it parks in the upright postion.
Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
MSGunn
AF Newbie

I have had this same problem with the wipers ending their cycle in the up position, a number of times. Very frustrating. What I finally did was take the shroud off above the wiper drive shafts and then take the plastic cover off the top of the cam assembly. It just snaps off. You will notice (when the wipers are running that the cam rotates once each cycle, and when the wipers shut off, there is an intermidiate plate that is suppose to slide part way around (about 90 degrees), independant of the upper plate, extending the plate forward, thus pushing the wiper arms down. It seems that it needs to be lubricated for the plates to slide and do their thing. How to accomplish the repair? Magic. Actually, I first disconnected the wiper push arms from the cam and then just fiddled with the cam unit (you must have the right kind of screw driver head; 6 pointed star), moving it alittle and turning it alittle and somehow (I don't recall), it suddenly released the inner plate and extended. ***OH YES, THE CAR WAS TURNED OFF AT THE TIME***. I lubed it up, put everything back together and it works fine...so far.

Time will tell if I screwed it up somehow, but so far so good.

Mike
MSGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 wiper park position

Normal operation has the two plates as MSGunn calls them to be locked together by the spring loaded pin. If you were to look at the bottom side of the assembly, you would see a little spring loaded lever that is angled in a direction where it doesn't catch on anything during normal operation. However, when the motor spins in reverse, it will hit a catch. When the lever hits the catch, the bottom plate disengages while the top plate can still spin. This provides the correct action to draw the wipers down into the park position.

There can be several problems that this mechanism can cause:
1. If the spring that holds the pin in breaks, then it doesn't lock properly. This can cause a variety of problems depending on where the pin ends up at. Most likely the wipers operate but don't park. I don't beleive the spring is available seperate so if you want it fixed properly, it's a new transmission assembly from the dealer or a junk yard.
2. If the plates aren't lubricated enough, they may "seize" not allowing them to seperate at the right point or prematurely. Clean and lubricate them.
3. If the spring on the lever breaks, the wipers won't ever catch, so they won't ever park. My Cavalier had this problem recently and uses the same mechanism although different assembly. Like the spring loaded pin, the proper fix is to get a replacement transmission assembly.
4. If the catch is bent too far one way or another, the lever will not catch. My Cavalier also had this problem with the replacement transmission assembly from the junk yard. Just bend the catch slightly until it catches.
5. If the mechanism is positioned wrong to the drive shaft, the wipers will park in the wrong position. Losen the bolt and rotate the entire assembly. With the wipers in the paused position while on delay, the gap between the V in the lever and the catch should be 4-8mm IIRC. Snug the bolt up (but don't over tighten) and check for proper functionality. Once you get it, remove the bolt and put a drop or two of medium (blue) locktite on the threads of the bolt to prevent it from coming out on it's own.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
toons310
AF Newbie

Great info. That transmission needed lubed!! Thanks
toons310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
mlbishop60
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 wiper park position

I realize the information was given 10 years ago but it still worked !!
I bought this van from a friend and it has been sitting for 3.5 years. I fixed the head gaskets but the wipers have been in up position since the first time used. I sprayed lots of the PB Blaster and the wipers now park where they belong !!!
Thanks you for the tip !!

Mike
mlbishop60 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette