Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

Yamaha YZR 500 OW48

Hi folks

Time to build a bike again, so here it is:

It's a Tamiya Yamaha YZR 500 OW48:

It's a pretty simple (and old) kit that's been re-issued, so the details are not that good. But it's still a Tamiya kit so it will look gorgious when finished

As you can see I'll TS-16 Yellow for the body. Don't know if i use the airbrush or spraycan, but we'll see.

I already glued the fairings together and added some putty to fill up the gaps.

Here's a cool video of Kenny Roberts that rides the museum YZR500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVROhRLrQ3U

If someone has some more reference pictures of this bike, please let me know!

Kris.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Re: Yamaha YZR 500 OW48

First off looking great.

I cannot help with much reference pictures but I built this awhile ago and managed to figure out most of the simpler stuff. First your going to want to add some fuel lines to the carbs. Then attaching to the top circle thing of the carb a thin line comes off. If your not going for super detail I would suggest to just run these in to the hallows of the tank above. Then from the crank case on the bottom a line comes off and runs to your larger gauge on the dash. There's a small tab on the radiator, use this and run a line there to the smaller heat gauge on the dash. Then the two cables ruining from the box on the dash to the piece on the engine that tamiya already added two tabs to (sorry forgot the name). There's also a over flow bottle on the radiator the same side as the heat sensor. Lastly your going to need a breather tube on the tank. Not a ton of detail but it looks decent hope it helps. I did this on there other kit of the same bike:

At this time the cable from the top of the carbs weren't ran yet.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by HIPPIE2; 05-22-2012 at 06:33 PM.
HIPPIE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

I finally got an update.

First I sanded all the fairings untill they were smooth enough for a layer of Gunze White 1200 Surfacer.

After primer I sprayed the TS-16 Yellow from the spraycan. I had a bit trouble with this paint cause it runs very quick. I had to start again with the fueltank. But now it's all smooth.

After drying I masked of the big fairing and painted the white area with Modelmaster GLoss White. When this was dry I was able to add all the decals. I thought it would be a nightmare cause I hate adding decals, but this was pretty simple. I used a lot of Microscale MicroSOL and a hairdryer and the decals react very well. I had to add a bit of black paint here and there afterwards.

I also removed the molded fairingscrews and replaced them with Top Studio screws.

The wheels were painted Mr. Metal Color Gold. I like the result very much, but I don't know if I need to clearcoat them or leave them like this. What should I do?

Next week I'll add some Sikkens 2K Clear on these parts.

Kris.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
John18d
AF Enthusiast

hey Kris - you're off to a good start - nice work on the tank and body panels and the decals. I would leave the wheels without clear. I've seen this bike in person at Laguna Seca and it doesn't have real shiny wheels. Also the gold color you have used is not the correct shade for the Bike, but if you're not too worried about that - I'm not either. In fact I didn't think the Bike in general was that shiny. It had gloss but not 2K gloss if you know what I mean. Still this is your build and I am not one to criticize your work - just my thoughts - I will follow your build - I once built this kit back in 92' and entered it in a modeling contest at Las Vegas and won the bike class with it. It is a kit that doesn't need too much to make it into a nice model - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply John.

I always want to seal the decals under a shiny clearcoat. I know the bikes are not that shiny and mostly the decals are placed after paint. Maybe it's not as realistic as it should be but I don't mind about that.

The gold wheels are now clearcoated but I don't like the result for this bike. So I'm gonna add another layer of that gold and leave it like that. It's the closest goldish color I have so I have to deal with it.

Kris.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Kris - I'm with you - I 2K clearcoat my models too to protect the paint and keep the decals from yellowing - as for your concerns about the wheels - I'm with you - use what you have and enjoy the pleasure you get from the hobby - I for one am not a die-hard purist that has to have it exactly like the real thing - I also use what colors I have and am happy so long as the result is generally close. There are some real anal people on this forum where if you do not have something exact they will "cut you up" and belittle your work, but I am not one of those. There is an option to having a less glossy finish and that is with 1K but I do not use it. I like the results of a 2K system and use it exclusively now. Usually with wheels I do not clear them - I paint them their color and that usually gives a semi gloss to matt finish which is found on most wheels of racing motorcycles. Keep up the good work Kris - John
Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Kris - in the picture above of the wheels - did you airbrush that gold color or brush paint?? if you airbrushed, what did you use to reduce "thin" the paint?? and what ratio of paint to thinner did you use? I just ordered some of the Mr. Hobby metalic colors from Japan. I have never used them before so I could use some help in using them as the writing on the box and bottle is all Japanese. Thanks Kris - John

Hey Kris - I just now noticed the rivets in the body fairing - nice touch - John
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Kris - I'm with you - I 2K clearcoat my models too to protect the paint and keep the decals from yellowing - as for your concerns about the wheels - I'm with you - use what you have and enjoy the pleasure you get from the hobby - I for one am not a die-hard purist that has to have it exactly like the real thing - I also use what colors I have and am happy so long as the result is generally close. There are some real anal people on this forum where if you do not have something exact they will "cut you up" and belittle your work, but I am not one of those. There is an option to having a less glossy finish and that is with 1K but I do not use it. I like the results of a 2K system and use it exclusively now. Usually with wheels I do not clear them - I paint them their color and that usually gives a semi gloss to matt finish which is found on most wheels of racing motorcycles. Keep up the good work Kris - John
You're right John. There are some very purist people here, but I do what I can. I can invest in every detail, but it has to be a fun hobby. I only invest in visible details and sometimes it depends on the kind of model I'm building and sometimes about the price. I also like OOB builds and they still look great without PE and expensive detailparts.

To answer your question about the gold paint. I used an airbrush for this. I just use the gold straight from the bottle cause it's very thin. I used a 0.4mm nozzle and needle this time but normally I use the 0.2mm for this paint.

The Mr. Color metal paints are very good. They spray nicely and the result is also great. Most of these paints needs a bit of polishing with a dry soft cloth to get that real metal finish!

Kris.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

Last week I was able to clearcoat the fairings and the frame. The result is very smooth as I said myself

Hopefully I can start on the engine soon.

Kris.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
John18d
AF Enthusiast

body work - decals and paint look great - John
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

Back on the Yamaha:

I painted the rearlink and sanded the rear tire. When it was ready I mounted it together.

Started on the engine. I painted it with different Aclad metallics.

Engine fitted into the framework and the rearlink was mounted.

The exhausts were painted and I added them on the bike.

The fairings were painted flat black inside. The seat is made from special stuff from Hiroboy.

Kris.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Kris - what made you decide to paint the carburetors "copper" ? on the real bike these are a "flat aluminum" color with gold carb tops. I'm just asking not opening up a long list of criticizing. I just thought that was an un-usual color for carbs. The rest is looking okay. - John
Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

I always liked this livery, looking good. Keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

Finished the frontfork yesterday. I painted it with Polished aluminium (alclad2).

I mounted the fueltank, seat, radiator and speed tacho on the bike:

I also added the window or canopy on the fairing.

Now i need to add some little extras to complete the bike!
Kris.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Kris - this has really come along nicely - can't wait to see it finished - John