Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
racnchump
AF Newbie

97-04 Dash/Center Console Questions

On the 97-04 Silhouettes Center console under the Radio and AC controls there are the cup holders. Under the cup holders there is another portion of the center console that goes to the floor. I've seen CD players and Storage compartments in that area. It also appears to have vents on both sides at the floor.
My question is, can that lower portion be removed and what is behind it? Also, can the cup holders be removed?
The reason: I am looking to use one of these on my rural mail delivery route and I have to sit in the passenger side and work the pedals with my left foot and need that lower portion out of the way. I currently use an Olds 88 and works great. Just looking for something with more room. I'm almost 6ft tall so I have a comfortable reach. I'm sure the drivability of the van will work on the route, just thinking of the obstruction reaching the pedals.
thanks!
racnchump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
merc81
AF Enthusiast

Re: 97-04 Dash/Center Console Questions

The center console can be removed. If you have one that has the storage tray below the cup holders, open the door, and remove the slide out tray. Look inside at the back to find two screws, one on each side.
Once the screws are out, the entire lower section, cup holder tray and all will come out. You will need to disconect the cables from the power outlets if present.

Nothing needs be there at all. You can keep the floor area clear and reach the driver's side pedals from the passenger seat with ease. Exposed will be a flat duct that directs air under the rug into the rear seat area. This will not be in the way--its behind everything.

twainer
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
racnchump
AF Newbie

Re: 97-04 Dash/Center Console Questions

I could see the air ducts and I just wasn't sure if there was any metal structure behind the console. Thanks so much for the information! This is very helpful.
racnchump is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette