Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
mikeperformance21
AF Newbie

Best Tuner Car ????

hey guys i just joined this forum.. just a quick question..

what do you guys think is the best tuner car if i am looking to make up to about 700 hp 800 hp max and have good handling as well??

i researched cars such as the evo and wrx sti but realized they are too much of a cop magnet and insurance guzzler..i then looked at the is300, 350z, rsx type-s, and some others...

thanks
mikeperformance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
nismogt_rfreak
AF Regular

Re: Best Tuner Car ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeperformance21
what do you guys think is the best tuner car if i am looking to make up to about 700 hp 800 hp max and have good handling as well??
Out of curiousity, what kind of experience do you have with cars, period? I think if you were someone that was supposed to be handling 700-800hp you would know which is the best.

But to answer your question, MKIV Toyota Supra is the best if your going for a high-horsepower drag car.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
mikeperformance21
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismogt_rfreak
Out of curiousity, what kind of experience do you have with cars, period? I think if you were someone that was supposed to be handling 700-800hp you would know which is the best.

But to answer your question, MKIV Toyota Supra is the best if your going for a high-horsepower drag car.
well i know general information not so much because i havent had much hands on experience with cars but i read around forums and i have worked on my friends car with him... well anyway yea the supra has a great 2jz-gte engine (thats it i think) but are there any other cars out there that are newer that are just as good or better than that engine, and how is the handling on the supra? oh and im sure 700hp is fine i guess i got a little greedy with the 800hp
Old 01-31-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Anything with an LS1 (Camaro, Trans Am, Corvette, GTO) or the LS2 (Corvette & GTO). I've seen them well above 1000hp. You can get 700-800 hp out of just about anything if you're willing to put the time, money, and effort into it.

What's this car going to be...a dyno queen or something?
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

if you want to go into the sleepler side. gm ecotec engines. gm has a couple of 4 banger 1000hp ecotec drag cars.
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
mikeperformance21
AF Newbie

what engine along with all of its internals would be good until extremely high hp (e.g. 700).. if you know those specific engines or cars that hold them what are there names?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
what engine along with all of its internals would be good until extremely high hp (e.g. 700).. if you know those specific engines or cars that hold them what are there names?
Stock internals that can handle 700 hp? I can't think of any.

One peice of advice...if you're going to have that much HP stay away from anything with FWD...you'll have no traction.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
nismogt_rfreak
AF Regular

Quote:
RB26DETT(Skyline GT-R) and 2JZ-GTE pretty much. You'd still need new cams, injectors, etc., but you'd still get there. Supras do handle pretty good. Skyline GT-Rs handle better, but good luck getting one into the U.S. legally. I still wouldn't go so far as 700hp if I were you, though. Go for something more realistic and easier to handle. Build a 350hp car first and see if you can handle that. Then keep going until you know your limit. I'm 15, so I don't drive or have a car yet, but I'm planning on staying south of 300hp with an SR20DET swapped 240SX because I don't know my limits yet.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismogt_rfreak
I'm 15, so I don't drive or have a car yet, but I'm planning on staying south of 300hp with an SR20DET swapped 240SX because I don't know my limits yet.
Good advice!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

if you want cheap performence go with a dsm the stock internals are good for in the mid to high 300hp mark.
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayStation3
if you want cheap performence go with a dsm the stock internals are good for in the mid to high 300hp mark.
I've seen them into the high 400's but it's rare and DSM's usually aren't all that reliable...mine was so-so.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
hey guys i just joined this forum.. just a quick question..

i researched cars such as the evo and wrx sti but realized they are too much of a cop magnet and insurance guzzler..i then looked at the is300, 350z, rsx type-s, and some others...

thanks
insurance guzzler???? you do realize you are supposed to tell your insurance company about engine mods...if you have a car with 700-800hp you probably want them to know what mods you have in case it gets stolen or wrecked, otherwise you won't get anything but the stock value of the car.

RSX???? LMAO you want 700hp and you mention a fwd...how old are you? not to patronize, but no one needs 700-800hp on a street car...SERIOUSLY! You may have played forza or gt3 and thought wow these cars are slow, but when I max out the mods and get them near 700hp they are pretty fun...well let me be the first to tell you those games aren't that close to real life...

I have a FWD sentra with a 2.5liter engine. With the current mods, it puts out 160-170whp which is still more than enough to spin both front tires easily in anything but warm, dry road. In the rain I can easily spin 3 with the OE clutch, in snow I can have it in 6th and spin the tires up to 130+mph with little effort. I'm not saying you should get a sentra spec v or anything like that, but definitely get used to driving cars that have normal power levels.

A good first car should have between 100 and 130whp. A good second car could be as much as 200whp and then after that you should be ready for most anything sane (less than 400whp). 700hp is seriously insane, especially if the car is tuned to use all 700hp. The car will be almost undriveable and definitely a cop magnet...along with costing a lot at the pump - it probably will get less than 10mpg and it will need tires constantly since only the stickiest tires will keep the car from flying off the road.

A 700HP car could easily run 9s or 10s with proper tuning...which is insane. If you have seen a sportbike accelerate hard you have seen what a 10 second car can do...which is insane...at least to me...
Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
mikeperformance21
AF Newbie

yea i now know that 700 is a little (alot) actually) on the insane side in terms of insurance and losing control.. i guess i was on too many evo forums in the past and they are all nuts over there with high hp cars.. im now thinking about the nissan 350z and putting down about 500 hp after some mods like a turbo and some engine tuning.. what do you think about that and the handling on the 350z being that it is a v6 and v6's tend to be a little big (im looking for some good handling and i dont want to have a tank on my hands)
Old 02-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #14
nismogt_rfreak
AF Regular

Quote:
im now thinking about the nissan 350z and putting down about 500 hp after some mods like a turbo and some engine tuning
Have you been reading ANY of the posts? Find your limits first and then start planning for something more powerful.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
yea i now know that 700 is a little (alot) actually) on the insane side in terms of insurance and losing control.. i guess i was on too many evo forums in the past and they are all nuts over there with high hp cars.. im now thinking about the nissan 350z and putting down about 500 hp after some mods like a turbo and some engine tuning.. what do you think about that and the handling on the 350z being that it is a v6 and v6's tend to be a little big (im looking for some good handling and i dont want to have a tank on my hands)
Once you save some money test drive an rsx type s or something comparable, then if you still aren't satified try a 350z. The handling is supposed to be pretty good, they are heavy, but they supposedly don't feel like it. I haven't driven one yet, but I like the looks. 500hp isn't just some mods - it's like a really large turbo or medium sized twin turbo setup with rebuilt engine to handle the stress, upgraded fuel system, exhaust, etc etc. It will be very expensive...

And please don't come back here complaining that you crashed your Z

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A