Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
jmg893
AF Newbie

'01 S/C strange shifting

Hello, I'm new to the forum and 2.5 weeks into owning an '01 S/C Crew Cab, non-4WD. I've noticed something I don't like. It is worse when the truck is cold (undriven) but still happens after warming. When I feather the throttle from a stop, like just creeping along, it shifts fairly normally proceeding quickly enough from 1st to 2nd to... But any more throttle than that and the transmission hangs for 2-4 seconds before taking the next gear. The more the throttle (short of pedal on the floor), the worse the delay before shifting. I'm not referring to the engine running up the rpm range, I'm talking about the engine getting to whatever rpm that the transmission feels it is time to shift, it then holds the engine at that rpm for too long... then shifts. When driving 1st time in the morning (after a lil warmup idle), it shifts like that no matter how light on the throttle. Is there something that can be done about this? Change to synthetic tranny fluid? Tranny reprogramming/rebooting at the dealer? (believe it or not, that can be done on the Mercedes C43). Thanks in advance for any assistance.
jmg893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
ohman11
AF Newbie

I have a 04 4x4 cc and it has started jerking when it shifts too. Are Nissans notorious for this. The first week the windshield wiper blades fell of of it.This truck has less than 3000 miles on it now. I am starting to wish I had bought another Ford.
ohman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
ashleywat
AF Newbie

Re: '01 S/C strange shifting

Little difficult understanding your description but I'm pretty sure your saying the truck is shifting too late?? First step is to properly check and see if the fluid is low, if not take a look at the fluid, does it smell burnt, look discolored? If the fluid is low top it off, if it smells burnt or is a funky color, prolly means you have done damage to your tranny and its only a matter of time until failure. If all this checks out, best to take it to a tranny shop for some tests, today's trannys are electronically controlled, with many sensors and many things can cause this. Best to have a respected tranny shop test it for you. Changing to synthetic will not solve this problem, it may appear to lessen the problem some, but either way if you continue driving it like this the tranny will have a very short life.
ashleywat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
ashleywat
AF Newbie

Re: '01 S/C strange shifting

ohman, to answer your question, NO, nissans are not notorious for that type of shifting. They are known to build solid very reliable vehicles. All manufacturers produce lemons though, let's hope yours is not one of them. If you have an 04 acting up like this take it right to the dealer as its still under warranty. Let me know how it turns out.
ashleywat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara