Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 08:46 PM   #1
Bimmerkid
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bimmerkid
Question about Meguiar's Cleaner Wax

I've got some Meguiar's cleaner wax, as stated in the tinyimports.com painting tutorial. Will it work and have the same effect as the Tamiya paint as with a hardware store clear coat (laquer..)? I don't want to take any chances..

Future projects - F150 Lightning, 57 Chevy, Castrol Tom's Supra, Skyline BlackBird.
Bimmerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:54 PM   #2
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

If anything, it will probably be more harsh with Tamiya clear vs. automotive clear lacquers. Tamiya lacquers are relatively soft, they're a bit easier to buff out than automotive lacquers. You should test it first, but it shouldn't be a problem. If you can afford Tamiya clear, it's the best/easiest for models, worth the extra $$ to me since I know it will work, I know it will come out smooth w/a minimum of hassle, I know it won't eat the paint or the plastic underneath. I've used the Meguiars cleaner/wax on my Tamiya black paint jobs, and it's amazing. Follow up w/Meguiars Quick Detail for even better shine.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:55 PM   #3
935k3
AF Enthusiast

All Meguair's products are good quality and wiil give a good shine. I personally do not clearcoat any colors except metallics. A good paint job with good wax shouldn't need a clearcoat and will look more in scale.
935k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:59 PM   #4
Bimmerkid
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bimmerkid
Quote:
Originally posted by ZoomZoomMX-5
If anything, it will probably be more harsh with Tamiya clear vs. automotive clear lacquers. Tamiya lacquers are relatively soft, they're a bit easier to buff out than automotive lacquers. You should test it first, but it shouldn't be a problem. If you can afford Tamiya clear, it's the best/easiest for models, worth the extra $$ to me since I know it will work, I know it will come out smooth w/a minimum of hassle, I know it won't eat the paint or the plastic underneath. I've used the Meguiars cleaner/wax on my Tamiya black paint jobs, and it's amazing. Follow up w/Meguiars Quick Detail for even better shine.
Thanks, that's just what I needed to know.

Future projects - F150 Lightning, 57 Chevy, Castrol Tom's Supra, Skyline BlackBird.
Bimmerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 PM   #5
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Quote:
Originally posted by 935k3
All Meguair's products are good quality and wiil give a good shine. I personally do not clearcoat any colors except metallics. A good paint job with good wax shouldn't need a clearcoat and will look more in scale.

I use it with very good succes... go it easy, if you rub too hard, the paint will come out.. but a small polishing with this make a great and shiny work.. BUT, I don't have good sucess with clear coat. when I apply this, the clear came dull and flat... Don't know why.. I usuly fix this with ArmorAll
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote