Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Shadow
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
demo_deven
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to demo_deven
FINALLY! A page for shadows!

Tok them long enough lol

- 2000 Ford F-150 4.2L V6 Reg. Cab Long Box 223k. Nothing special, just a beater work truck.

- 1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PSD 2WD 291k. K&N Air Intake, 4" Turbo-Back to 5" Staks through the box. Other then that a good truck for pulling around my toys!

www.SmashCarRacing.com

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
demo_deven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:29 AM   #2
john51md
AF Regular

Re: FINALLY! A page for shadows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo_deven
Tok them long enough lol
yea, now if anyone ever looks at it.. I just got a 94 ES with a 3.0 great shape but we always have questions to ask.
john51md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

Your welcome =)
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
vamc
AF Enthusiast

Had a 93 duster a while back with the 3.0L. green with the gold duster. Fast car. the good old days.lol
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
demo_deven
AF Regular

Now if only there was one for Sprits...

- 2000 Ford F-150 4.2L V6 Reg. Cab Long Box 223k. Nothing special, just a beater work truck.

- 1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PSD 2WD 291k. K&N Air Intake, 4" Turbo-Back to 5" Staks through the box. Other then that a good truck for pulling around my toys!

www.SmashCarRacing.com

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
john51md
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamc
Had a 93 duster a while back with the 3.0L. green with the gold duster. Fast car. the good old days.lol
My 94 is dark green, but all the gold emblems are taken off, hood and all, also the gold in the wheels is gone. Paint looks like new except for a couple minor parking lot dings, interior is near perfect.
2 door
3.0 auto OD
power seats, belts, mirrors.
sunroof, AC, tach, driving lamps
power windows and locks
AM FM CD (pioneer deck and sony speakers)
crusie, air bags
no rust anyplace.
new struts and shocks and alignment
soon new 60 series tires and nicer wheels.
I think it will make a pretty nice car for what it is class wise.
Plenty of power, not bad on fuel. handles pretty nice.

Only thing is it squats a lot in the rear wehn you pull out, easy or hard, it still squats more than any other car i have had, has new shocks on rear, maybe rear springs are weak, unless its the nature of the beast, i dunno.

The only thing i am going to do is maybe the larger throttle body, better plugs and wires and cap, a better coil. and a 2.25 inch exaust and a more free flow muffler, but thast down the road a ways.
No it isnt going to be a ricer, no big muffler. Just better flowing.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

You guys are your mitsubishi 6cylinders, sheesh. Get a turbo. LOL J/K. I just picked up myself an 88' turbo 5 speed shadow ES. Gonna make it my drag car, 2.5L pushing about 350 WHP and I'm gonna lighten the car no carpet/backseat/AC/radio/speakers/etc. Should be an easy 11.5 second car even on drag radials since I ran 12.36's in my daytona with DR's which weighs a good 400 pounds more than the shadow and has 50 HP less than the shadow will.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
john51md
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
You guys are your mitsubishi 6cylinders, sheesh. Get a turbo. LOL J/K. I just picked up myself an 88' turbo 5 speed shadow ES. Gonna make it my drag car, 2.5L pushing about 350 WHP and I'm gonna lighten the car no carpet/backseat/AC/radio/speakers/etc. Should be an easy 11.5 second car even on drag radials since I ran 12.36's in my daytona with DR's which weighs a good 400 pounds more than the shadow and has 50 HP less than the shadow will.
To each his own, not making a drag strip car here, its a daily driver. I too have driven Daytona turbo 5 speeds. Fast but i dont like them, to high strung, low gear to high ratio (for daily driver) and (for me) least the ones i have driven. Also tired of shifting gears. Unless its a old muscle car. Also tired of 4 bangers, overhead cams, etc. No i am not saying they are all bad, they just arent my cup o joe. If it wasnt for price of fuel now, i would be driving a 4 speed Chevy with a 454, and not a car, but a 4x4 truck. Now days a 'car' is what i have to drive.
And i know there are cars that get better mileage than this shadow, but if money wasnt a consideration, i sure wouldnt have a Shadow in the first place. I drive 500 miles a week. Oh i tried a car that got around 40 odd mpg once, it lasted a few months till the engine needed more money than i cared to put into it, plus a tranny 5 speed that started grinding lower gears .total junk... yea it was a 96 Metro 4 dr 4 cyl. It now resembles a black "lump" sitting behind my garage.
Also put 250,000 on a 91 Lumina, its falling apart now. Time for it to join the Metro. I got this Shadow in great condition for next to nothing, needing hardly anything. I am one who cares less what is is, as long as it runs and is reliable and is good shape, and isnt expensive. I havent had a car payment since 1996, and dont plan to start again.
Not dissing what you want to do with yours, hope you have good luck with it, mainly just stating how i look at cars.And what i want from them, and what i dont like.
I grew up on huge V8's and carbs. 4x4 trucks and rear drive cars.
The type that if you bought it for 100.00 it ran forever but the body rusted away. Now days it seems the body lasts forever, and the mechanical parts are crap.
BTW, talking about larger throttle body because from what all i have read, it can improve mileage a little, as the little better exaust, thats all i am after.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
vamc
AF Enthusiast

I had a 86 dodge daytona turbo Z. White. auto. racing cam,racing ecu, welded waste gate shut, 2'' stableizer bar, 15.5 foot lbs of boost. Had to gor rid of it, custong to much to keep.
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
demo_deven
AF Regular

Last spring, I had a 93 Shadow ES 2 door. 3.0L V6, rims, TOTALLY custom interior, black wiht gold striping, it was fast as hell just trying to get an emissions test done on it was dreadful! I'll find some pics nd post them on here. I ended up sellin it off for parts Was very sad to see it go, but I picked me up a nice /85 Lebaron convertable, 2.2L Turbo, more on that later

www.SmashCarRacing.com

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by john51md
To each his own, not making a drag strip car here, its a daily driver. I too have driven Daytona turbo 5 speeds. Fast but i dont like them, to high strung, low gear to high ratio (for daily driver) and (for me) least the ones i have driven. Also tired of shifting gears. Unless its a old muscle car. Also tired of 4 bangers, overhead cams, etc. No i am not saying they are all bad, they just arent my cup o joe. .
What do you mean high strung?
You do know that the V6's have the exact same trannies as the 4 cylinders right? Same automatic, and the manual is an A543 which is the same gearing as the A523 (the 4 cyl trans) with the ONLY difference being the bellhousing.

I also grew up on V8's, heck my first car had a 440 But with the rising cost of fuel, I said hey I can get the same power out of a turbo 4 cylinder than I can with a V8 and get 30 MPG at the same time! You may say that I'm not making the same power, but yeah I sure am. The engine in my daytona makes almost exactly the same power at the crank as a 383 magnum in horsepower AND torque. And with the 2.5L in the shadow they average about 40-50 more ftlbs at a given horsepower than a 2.2. So at 350 WHP I should be pushing over 425 ft/lbs to the wheels with ease.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #12
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Wow, finally a forum for Shadows! I guess I haven't scrolled down this far in the last couple of weeks!

I have owned my 1991 Shadow ES Turbo Convertible for over 14 years. It is still a great car! I an now approaching 117,000 miles. The 2.5L Turbo was rated at 152 HP from the factory compared to 140 HP for the later 3.0L. I have not driven a 3.0L Shadow, but I expect the performance is close to the 2.5L Turbo. My Shadow is equipped with the automatic.

I once had a 1991 Shadow Highline with 2.2L and automatic. That car was a slug, especially with the A/C on. I used to call the A/C switch the boost button in that car. Turn off the A/C and get a boost of power. When driving this car to Las Vegas once (northbound I-15) I lost speed in high gear with the cruise control set while climbing the grade. But, it would maintain 70 mph on the grade, no problem, if I shifted it into second gear (manual 2). That thing was not geared for performance.

I'll be sure to post my future issues as they arise and help those of you in need of my experience.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible

Last edited by KManiac; 05-16-2007 at 09:59 AM.
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
john51md
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
What do you mean high strung?
You do know that the V6's have the exact same trannies as the 4 cylinders right? Same automatic, and the manual is an A543 which is the same gearing as the A523 (the 4 cyl trans) with the ONLY difference being the bellhousing.

I also grew up on V8's, heck my first car had a 440 But with the rising cost of fuel, I said hey I can get the same power out of a turbo 4 cylinder than I can with a V8 and get 30 MPG at the same time! You may say that I'm not making the same power, but yeah I sure am. The engine in my daytona makes almost exactly the same power at the crank as a 383 magnum in horsepower AND torque. And with the 2.5L in the shadow they average about 40-50 more ftlbs at a given horsepower than a 2.2. So at 350 WHP I should be pushing over 425 ft/lbs to the wheels with ease.
Well, not trying to start a war, and maybe "high strung" isnt the exact proper term, but you should know what i mean if you were raised on V8's
too.
What i meant was a 4 cyl is more noisey than it is a nice rumble. It has to rev way higher (hugh strung)
And in general, not the few well known reliable 4 cyl. engines, but in general, they have had lots more problems than V8's ever did from being put together from crappy parts and bad designs just to get them to show rooms than V8's did.Mainly talking the econo boxes.
I am not getting into hp ratings, or torque ratings because again, to each his own and whatever works for the individual. Me? id rather have something the size of the Shadow, all wheel drive, powered by a 60's hp Chevy 283 adapted to FI. LOL
All depends on what you are after in a car, no one is right or wrong.
Yes i saw a GLH turbo Omni beat a ZO Vette in the quarter, of course the GLH was modded quite a lot. I doubt was street legal due to the mods, tires, etc. So really what good was it except bragging rights..
As for explaning about the trannies, well being from "the old school" i like a low gear in the manual that is very low, one you can ceep with, not so with the 5 speed in the 4 cyl. Daytona i drove, of course some of that was the engine needing to rev more, but for example, the 5 speed in the 96 Metro i had was very low, on steep hills in low gear, engine braking only, it would only make abput 12 mph downhill. Love that when there is snow on the road.of course it only made 12 mph uphill too
Also makes a lot of difference on what terrain you drive in. I live in the mountains and a low first gear is really nice.
And the little 1.3 L engine needed that low gear to pull out on hills easily.
The Daytona was just geared to high in low gear for my taste (my taste)
If you wasnt careful, trying to pull out quick, all you got was wheel spin.
Its just hard to describe i guess about what i mean.
Anyway, auto trannies arent even a concern because you can pull out the same with those in a 4 cyl or a V6. And i never drove a manual Daytona, or Shadow with a V6 and a 5 speed, just a 4 cyl turbo.So i cannot say how they are at all with a V6.
Now on the flip side, the Lumina 2.5 Iron Duke 4 cyl i had, with a auto 3 speed, held at engine braking speed in low gear, down hill, way slower than my daughters Corsica with a 3.1 V6 and same auto tranny.
I have tried to find out if trannys were geared different in low gear but never did find out, or was it the engine difference? i dunno. Both were 91 models.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #14
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by john51md
Well, not trying to start a war, and maybe "high strung" isnt the exact proper term, but you should know what i mean if you were raised on V8's
too.
What i meant was a 4 cyl is more noisey than it is a nice rumble. It has to rev way higher (hugh strung)
And in general, not the few well known reliable 4 cyl. engines, but in general, they have had lots more problems than V8's ever did from being put together from crappy parts and bad designs just to get them to show rooms than V8's did.Mainly talking the econo boxes.
I am not getting into hp ratings, or torque ratings because again, to each his own and whatever works for the individual. Me? id rather have something the size of the Shadow, all wheel drive, powered by a 60's hp Chevy 283 adapted to FI. LOL
All depends on what you are after in a car, no one is right or wrong.
Yes i saw a GLH turbo Omni beat a ZO Vette in the quarter, of course the GLH was modded quite a lot. I doubt was street legal due to the mods, tires, etc. So really what good was it except bragging rights..
I understand about the rumble of the V8, thats the only thing I miss. That and rear wheel drive. But I deal with it. But the chrysler 2.2/2.5 is unlike any other 4 cylinder really. I have a nice lopey cam going in my shadow, when they have a cam and 3'' exhuast these cars sound NOTHING like fart cannon honda's or any other 4 cylinder. I've actually had people ask me how I swapped a V8 in my daytona because it sounds like it at certain RPM's. These engines don't like revving high, infact taking it to 6500 is way past topping out a 2.5L. The 2.5 has over a 4'' stroke, it doesn't really like over 6K. Now I have a 2.2 in my daytona, about 6700 is topped out. Not really revving high and thats where most performance V8's rev too. And there's no shortage of low end torque, my peak torque is made at 3200 RPM not 4800 RPM like most honda's. I'm not trying to argue but if your perfect setup is a 283 those things like to rev over 7K RPM and make NO low end power.
The guy with the GLH couldn't drive or is setup was better looking than it was performance wise. I can take Z06 vettes in my daytona on drag radials let alone slicks, and my daytona weighs 400 pounds more than an omni GLH.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Oh and on the gearing. I live in mountains too, I never really had a problem because my car makes so much low end torque. But, if you really want scrappier gearing you can find a certain transmission in 89-90 has the 3:85 gearing instead of the 3:50 gearing. So your gears would be 10% lowing gearing, better for easier take-offs and acceleration. Speaking of acceleration, this is where traction is a concern for FWD cars. Here's a few trick I did. Re-locate the battery over to the passenger side, shim the front sway bar. Now you will atleast have both front tires spinning instead of 1 tire fires. Next we need to eliminate the rear end squat on take-off, thats nothing a set of gabriel hi-jacker air shocks can't take care of! I get full traction in SECOND gear using these tricks, and with 300 HP to the wheels in a FWD thats pretty darn impressive. I've taken power stroke pickups and cobra mustangs OFF THE LINE before, short shift first at 5K RPM and then mash second, SEEYA!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Shadow