Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
ice2626
AF Newbie

Cool 2002 Lincoln LS Fuel Pump

The 2002 LS has 2 fuel pumps due to the saddle design of the fuel tank. (the tank is divided by the driveshaft so it needs a second pump)

-The primary is on the passanger side (inside the fuel tank), and is electric
-The jet pump or secondary is on the driver side (inside the fuel tank), and is mechanical
-Ford Recommends replacing both at the same time

As a general rule, if your having starting problems like me, its probably the primary. The jet pump is usually the culprit at 2000+ rpms...

Give Ford a pat on the back for the design, both pumps are accessible from inside the car. I had to replace the primary, but the jet pump is very similar.

The part I used:

Remove the back seat by sliding the two black latches:

Remove the black cover and the top of the pump is exposed:

-Remove the Negative Battery Cable
-Remove the plug on top of the pump
-Remove the 2 fuel lines by squeezing the tabs together on the pump, turning the fuel lines slightly and lifting them straight up.
-Remove the blue plastic o-ring by tapping it counter clockwise carefully
(easier said then done, I used a hammer and chisel, if someone has a trick feel free to add the suggestion.
-Remove the pump from the gas tank (its clipped to the bottom of the tank, just squeeze the clip together and it should lift out)

The new pump I had didn't come with a screen on the bottom of the pump so I reused the perfectly fine old one off the old pump. Its just a 1 inch round screen. Installation is the reverse of removal and shouldn't take very long to do.

Good Luck

Last edited by ice2626; 04-26-2011 at 12:17 AM.
ice2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ice2626 For This Useful Post:
Casper_LS (01-31-2012), mistyb (08-09-2011), shorod (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2002 Lincoln LS Fuel Pump

Nice write up and photos! Thanks for the information!

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Casper_LS
AF Newbie

Alrighty, I just replaced the fuel pump (thanks for your pictures, they were a great reference) The pump is engaging now, but the car still won't start. Cranks good and strong, but won't turn over.

I checked the fuel filter (unplugged the fuel line that runs into it - fuel ran back out of the filter, but even when I cranked the motor, no fuel came out of the line).

PATS light is solid when in the ON position, turns off when I crank and doesn't flash any codes. Also, per one of the other threads on this site I tried unpluging the MAF sensor - the car did cough once like it was trying to start but didn't fire up. (It didn't engage at all with the MAF plugged in, but I'm not sure if that was just coincidence)

Any thoughts on what could cause that and how I can fix it?

A little background (don't know if/how it would be related, but I'm a mechanic by no means, so I'll put it down just in case): Had a shop do the valve cover gasket, replace all the plugs with NGK Iridiums, and change the coil boots on Saturday. I had P0305 and 306 codes before that (and a serious misfire - she was running ROUGH and idling like an old diesel). She ran much better on the way home, but was still coding (they recommended I replace the COPs on 5 and 6 - I ordered them and will receive them tomorrow) anyhow, I made one stop on the way home, she started right back up and ran great until I accelerated away from a light and then she died. I got it to the side of the road, started it up again but could hear it spluttering -- RPMs only got up to about 400-500 and there was no response to the throttle.

I had it towed back to the shop, they checked and said there was no fuel pressure and they said it was the fuel pump and wanted $600 to fix it. (Thanks to this thread I said "no thanks" and had it towed home to do myself.) So- that's where we stand.

Last edited by Casper_LS; 01-31-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typo.
Casper_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper_LS View Post
Alrighty, I just replaced the fuel pump (thanks for your pictures, they were a great reference) The pump is engaging now, but the car still won't start. ...
I checked the fuel filter (unplugged the fuel line that runs into it - fuel ran back out of the filter, but even when I cranked the motor, no fuel came out of the line)...
What do you mean by the fuel pump is "engaging", yet you have no fuel flow out of the fuel line?
If you replaced the electric pump assembly, you can hear the pump run, and you have no fuel coming out, you may have a fault with the jet pump assembly.

Quote:
...Cranks good and strong, but won't turn over.
Okay, this one makes no since at all.
Either the starter runs ("cranks") and turns the crankshaft over, or it doesn't. It can't be both.

Did you really mean to say that it turns over, but won't fire up and run?
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Casper_LS
AF Newbie

Joegr,

Thanks for taking a look. I replaced the electric pump (passenger side) and can hear it run. Obviously I can't see through the hoses that are attached to that pump, but to the touch it feels like there is gas being pumped.

Where I have no gas flowing is the hose that feeds into the fuel filter (up behind the driver's side front tire)

I've read that there is a fuel cut off valve on the driver's floorboard - could this explain that stoppage? That's the next thing I'll check when I get home tonight.

If it's the jet pump, what would be my diagnostic? Can I just look at it and see if it's working? Does it work all the time? (Some of these threads say it only affects things over 2000 RPM, but my car's not running, so I can't check that...)

Also, yes, I meant to say it cranks and turns over but doesn't fire up and run. (Lots of crank,crank,crank noise, but no vroooom)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
joegr
AF Regular

There's no fuel cutoff valve. There is a fuel pump electrical cutoff switch in the driver's kick panel. If you hear the pump running, then that's not your problem.

The jet pump works all the time the electric pump is on. It's purpose is to transfer fuel out of the driver's side sump of the fuel tank. It can fail such that fuel from the electric pump just pours out on the driver's side. Or, I've heard there is a filter inside the jet pump assembly that can clog and stop fuel flow.

It affects things all the time. It's just that if it only reduces fuel flow, you won't notice it until you need more fuel at higher RPMs.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Casper_LS
AF Newbie

Thanks, I'll pull the jet pump out and see if a can find that filter. Anybody have pics or a diagram of that process? Also, I checked pepboys and autozone and neither show a "jet pump." Is there something else ir might be called? Or does anyone have a part number for it?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Thanks, I'll pull the jet pump out and see if a can find that filter. Anybody have pics or a diagram of that process? Also, I checked pepboys and autozone and neither show a "jet pump." Is there something else ir might be called? Or does anyone have a part number for it?

Thanks!
I think that this is a dealer only item. It's also called the JPM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
Casper_LS
AF Newbie

Joegr,

Is this it? (I hope so, it'd save me $100 over the dealer)
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Joegr,

Is this it? (I hope so, it'd save me $100 over the dealer)
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html

Thanks.
If the picture is correct, then yes it is.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
genewalter
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 2002 Lincoln LS Fuel Pump

Thr information here was verry helpful. I had a problem removing the fuel lines. No mater how hard i squeezed the tabs the lines would not come loose. When the white side finally crushed i removed it. It turns out thatthe lines are installed into a push lock fitting.
The plastic collar with the tabs could not release it to remove the line.
After the collar crushed i removed it and pushed the lock ring down with a flat screwdriver the line came out easily.
I could not get the tabs to release the line fitting on the red side either so i poped the red collar off and released the second line the same way.
genewalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
cobra2012
AF Newbie

I had to replace this exact same thing on my friends car. I found an even cheaper place online that sells this particular pump http://www.oemcarpartsonline.com/pro...includes-clips. I even requested overnight shipping; and they got it to me next day. I had to pay the shipping of course, but these guys are the cheapest from what I could find. Hope this helps.
cobra2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #13
shadowtripper238
AF Newbie

ice2626 your right it is easier said than done. Im over here trying to get mine off with a hammer and a flathead. Its not even budging. And I am afraid I am going to damage the thing. Sure its easier access. But Why does everything have to be plastic? I mean, some things are not meant to be plastic.
shadowtripper238 is offline   Reply With Quote