Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > STS and STS-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
MDOUGF
AF Newbie

2001 sts starting problem

my 2001 sts cadillac some times will not start. had the problem for several yrs. now it happens about 50% of the time. if i wait a few minutes & try again, it will start. i also have a astro start & that will not start it either, until 3 or 4 minutes have passed. the info center on the dash will read service security system. i took it to a gm dealer and they told me it needs a new starter for over $900. the mechanics pushed it out of the service bay. they said there was nothing wrong with security system, they checked for codes and there were none. as he got out, the info center was lit up with "service security system. i played with the key for a few minutes and it started. wouldn't the starter just peter out after several yrs of this if it was bad? it turns over just fine even when its -25. do i need to go to a different gm dealer for a second opinion?
MDOUGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 sts starting problem

Did they tell you what codes were coming up when the "service security system" message comes up? That will tell you what is the problem. I've had a problem with the ignition lock itself on my 2000, and it wouldn't start the first time I turned the key, but would after a few tries.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
MDOUGF
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 sts starting problem

the tech was sitting behind the wheel looking at the dash with the message on it when he told me there were no codes showing up pertaining to the security system. i guess he thought the message system was lying to him.
MDOUGF is offline   Reply With Quote