Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
mtsav8or
AF Newbie

2002 Grand Prix Rear Disk Brake Hub Assembly Removal

I don't know if this has been posted before but I searched all over for it and didn't find any useful instructions or tips so I thought I'd write some quick instructions. I didn't take any pics during the hub replacements, so don't ask. I was far to filthy to handle a camera. If I have to do it again though, I'll get someone else to do it for me.

Some of these are self explanatory and all are done at your own risk, this is what worked for me and it may not for you.

1. Chock the front tires before jacking
2. Break loose the rear lug nut how ever you normally do it
3. Jack up the rear of the car, support it safely, and remove lug nuts and tire
4. Remove and support the brake caliper (I hang it from the coil spring) 2-bolts
5. Remove and inspect rear brake pads
6. Remove caliper-pad bracket 2 bolts
7. Remove brake rotor. (Some light tapping may be needed to slide loose from the E-Brake hub shoes)
8. Remove E-Brake cable spring
9. Remove E-Brake Cable by first tapping or punching out the plastic expansion clip, then pulling the cable loose from the bracket and then the arm
10. Remove the anti lock brake wire
11. The hub assembly bolts are accessible by rotating the hub so that the holes line up with the bolt heads. Remove all 4.
12. If the hub assembly is not seized to its attachment point some light hammer taps should free it and the brake assembly from the bracket. This was not the case for me. After trying to hammer it free by banging the hub directly, a slide hammer to shock it free and a chisel to “split” it free I got a 2X2 piece of wood about 12” long and a 10 lb sledge. After knocking the hub going inward a couple of times, I inserted the wood into the center of the hub assemble pointing downward at an about a 70 degree angle and had a friend hit the wood with a good bit of force. After 3 or 4 heavy blows, the whole hub assembly should be breaking free.
13. Clean any corrosion with a wire brush or dremel tool prior to installing the new hub assembly. I added a thin layer of grease to mine prior installing the new hub.
14. Remove the E-Brake assembly by turning over and removing the screws. You can support the hub and antilock brake sensor with the rotor if you need to hammer off the e-brake assembly.
15. Installation is reverse of removal.

I had a good bit of “corrosion” between my hub and the hanger that looked like “calcification”. I’m assuming this is from dissimilar metals because I saw some thing similar when I had some bolts “locked” in the front caliper hanger. It’s not actually rust but it creates a “weld” that’s pretty hard to brake loose. It took a dremel tool with a fine grinding stone to clean away all the stuff so that the new hub assembly would mount properly. As I said earlier, I added a thin layer of grease to slow this down should I need to replace the hubs again. Considering the cheap hubs I bought, it seems likely I’ll be doing this again.

PM me if you have questions or need assistance. I’ve done the front two as well but there seems to be some good info on those already. Good luck!
mtsav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
Re: 2002 Grand Prix Rear Disk Brake Hub Assembly Removal

Nice write up, it will surely help other members!

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote