Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
heftylefty58
AF Newbie

attempting my first brake fluid flush

Way back in 2009, I ordered 2 liters of "Super Blue Racing" Dot 4 brake fluid with the intention of flushing the brakes on my 2003 Yukon Denali myself. Long story short, due to unexpected life events, I ended having having the work done by my mechanic.

Well, I'm due for another flush. This time, I'd like to attempt the job myself. I plan to buy a Motive Power Bleeder (kit 108), but before I move forward, I'm hoping I could get your feedback:

1) The brake fluid I bought is now SEVEN YEARS OLD. However, both containers have never been opened; they are still sealed. Regardless, should I just throw out this brake fluid and buy new fluid? Or, is it still safe to use?
2) Is 2L enough?
3) If possible, I'd like to avoid putting up the entire vehicle on jack stands. (My garage is the only level space I have access to, and there's so much shelving/crap in it that my vehicle barely fits inside.) Anyway, has anyone attempted a brake flush without taking the wheels off? Is the job that much more of a pain?

Any/all thoughts are appreciated, and thanks in advance.

heftylefty58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Cusser
AF Regular

Re: attempting my first brake fluid flush

The brake fluid should be fine, it's been sealed.

You should be able to access the bleed fittings without taking the wheels off, but you'll still need to get underneath.

Rather than a bleeding kit, maybe just get a helper to pump the pedal. My hint would be to remove most of the old fluid from the reservoir, then add the new fluid, and pump out until new fluid and no air bubbles come out the bleed screw through the plastic tubing into your waste jar. The lighter color of the new fluid should be obvious. And make sure during this bleeding operation that the reservoir is kept topped up with new fluid.
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cusser For This Useful Post:
heftylefty58 (08-31-2016)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon