Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
jehanny
AF Newbie

08 town and country starting issues

My 08 T&C has intermittent starting issues. Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens or I hear a single click, but if I try again it starts right up. Has anyone seen this behavior and if so any guidance?
jehanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 08 town and country starting issues

At the top of the list is starter solenoid contacts. They wear over time making the contact plunger travel further to make contact. Typical on a 5+ year old van.

I think (???) your starter solenoid is separate from the starter but bolted to the starter. Next time it clicks tap it with a hammer.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
dj1111
AF Regular

I have a very similar issue with my 2005 Grand Caravan 3.3L engine. Happened over a month ago for a few starts but everything was fine again until today. Took 6 tries to get it to start this morning. Then later I swear it took 12 tries to get it to start. And when it finally makes contact it starts fine. Been a long time since I had starter issues in any vehicle but this sounds exactly like what you described. I'll be going under it this weekend and will report back my findings once I figure it out.

Has anyone here changed a starter on this van before? Is it relatively easy?

Thanks for any help.
dj1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Mbriggs
AF Newbie

I thought that the 96-00 vans sucked for starter replacement, but the 05-07 starter is even worse. I'm sure that if you have a lift and the perfect tools you can get it done from the bottom, but I was very happy to find this video which helped a lot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quds2qPkteg&t=3s Taking the frame-rail and fan out wasn't that bad, and it made the job a lot easier. Biggest thing was that the top bolt also has a 2nd smaller nut on top of the main bolt that holds the ground. '08 and newer is probably different.
01 Saturn L200 165K

7 previous Caravans/Voyagers
Mbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
caravan96
AF Newbie

Our 08 T&C 4.0L occasionally clicks when the fob is turned to start. It has a new starter and solenoid. Rocking the van back and forth, sometimes even gently, gets it working. Things to try to help the repair folks: another fob, remote start, start in neutral, move the gear shift gently while in park. (None worked for us.) Any other help?
caravan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
caravan96
AF Newbie

Our 08 T&C continues to occasionally have this problem. Instead of rocking the van, this works for now: turn FOB to "ON", put foot on brake, move gear shift from "P" to "D" and back to "P", turn FOB to "Start". A computer controls the start cycle and it needs several inputs to respond before it turns over the engine so this may not work.
caravan96 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager