Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: What we drive in Europe. Wich one would you pick?
Citroen Xsara 3 8.57%
Ford Focus 3 8.57%
Opel Astra 3 8.57%
Peugeot 307 9 25.71%
Renault Mégane 3 8.57%
Seat Leon 2 5.71%
VW Golf 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #46
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr

So how do the sales for S-Class Mercedes and other large cars go in Europe? because I see them here everyday, but when I went there I didn't see many (if any, i don't remember)
The S-class has really took off. They are everywhere, even in the not so good areas. All the directors seem to have them. 7 series arent so common, and Audi A8's arent either. I think the S-class has pretty much flooded the luxury market in Europe
Old 06-28-2002, 02:41 AM   #47
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr

I know the roads are horrible for exotics in Europe though (not all the roads) but for the most part. Maybe people just dont drive them as much as they do here?
Someone obviously has not been to Monte Carlo and ridden in a BMW 540i taxi
Old 06-28-2002, 03:30 AM   #48
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

In a 540i Taxi ???? I know sby who has a 540 and if a taxidriver has that, he will banquerouted ! He must have a gazoil 5 series, a 520d, 525d or 530d : there are many in Europe because of the price of the gas !
The S-Class are good sold (many in Paris, but not in the "poor" parts !). The new serie 7 starts well. But again, people who have these cars will use smaller cars (the best example is the Audi S3) to drive in Paris and suburbs : more "fun" to drive, more agility, and in Paris you have to drive not slow, not like in the US, that's a big difference.
An example to end : my neibours have an Audi A6 Avant, a Z3 and a Peugeot 206 S16 : they use the Peugeot to work !

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Old 06-28-2002, 03:22 PM   #49
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefanel1

in Paris you have to drive not slow, not like in the US, that's a big difference.
An example to end : my neibours have an Audi A6 Avant, a Z3 and a Peugeot 206 S16 : they use the Peugeot to work !
That's the difference, here people would have the Z3 for fun on weekends, then drive the A6 daily. We need a big comfortable luxury cruiser for everyday to get to work

Moss: I went to Monaco last spring break (March), I was talking about that place. Monaco is like a country for the rich, right when we got to our hotel there was a Ferrari 550 in front, and a Rolls-Royce parked. I didn't know it was going to be like that, my mouth dropped.
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
Old 06-28-2002, 03:25 PM   #50
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
none they suck
Old 06-28-2002, 06:32 PM   #51
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefanel1
In a 540i Taxi ???? I know sby who has a 540 and if a taxidriver has that, he will banquerouted ! He must have a gazoil 5 series, a 520d, 525d or 530d : there are many in Europe because of the price of the gas !
The S-Class are good sold (many in Paris, but not in the "poor" parts !). The new serie 7 starts well. But again, people who have these cars will use smaller cars (the best example is the Audi S3) to drive in Paris and suburbs : more "fun" to drive, more agility, and in Paris you have to drive not slow, not like in the US, that's a big difference.
On the Taxi, it did present a case of supsision for me as well, despite the badging, it lacked some pure V8 grunt, who ever knew that taxi's would be affected by the ricer bug as well

G$: Why is it that North Americans have such a fixation on big cars????

But G$ while you make a good point, the roads of Europe are narrow compared to the US and it is a pain in the ass to navigate a big car through them, still I don't know why Stephanel's nieghbours would own an A6 AND a 2O6, I mean why what purpose does thier A6 serve if it isn't daily driven or a weekend fun car????

NSX-R-SSJ20K: shut the hell up, you live in Texas, where all the cars the people drive are SUV's and pick-up trucks and I think they suck so :finger4: until you have driven at least ONE of these cars stay the hell away from this thread
Old 06-28-2002, 10:14 PM   #52
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

G$: Why is it that North Americans have such a fixation on big cars????

But G$ while you make a good point, the roads of Europe are narrow compared to the US and it is a pain in the ass to navigate a big car through them, still I don't know why Stephanel's nieghbours would own an A6 AND a 2O6, I mean why what purpose does thier A6 serve if it isn't daily driven or a weekend fun car????
I dunno, I think it's because we have big roads and we need cars that fill them lol

I think cars are getting smaller here, not counting SUVs

Honda Civics are the best selling cars, but it doesn't get any smaller than that.

I can see how it would be a pain in the ass to drive around a big car in europe though, so I guess it would make sense to have a small car in the city.

I saw alot of those Mercedes A-Class cars last time I was in Europe, I guess some of those people have the better cars sitting at home.

Seems to suit the European needs perfectly
That car would not do well in North America though, that's for sure.
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
Old 06-29-2002, 12:09 AM   #53
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hermunn123
speaking of the A-Class, i saw one a couple months ago. i have no idea why it was in southern texas. it did have european plates though. i did a double-take and then realized it was an A-Class.

Please impede from anathematizing me just because I elocute loquacious locutions more Brobdingnaging than one could elucidate with a perspicacity as Lilliputian as your own.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:02 AM   #54
crayzayjay
CFA

It's absolute crap to say that Europe's roads arent suited to exotics and the US's are. Twisty mountain roads, found pretty much in every European country are where you want to drive your supercar, not highways.

Its the same in any big city. Driving a supercar/exotic car is just not appropriate, whether its the US or UK. WHat happens in London is that people buy these cars anyway because its obviously a very wealthy city
Old 06-29-2002, 12:26 PM   #55
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
We like *our* big cars because they're cheap, comfy, and easy to drive. With us, driving is a chore. If we had it our way, driving to work would require no more effort than an automatic toilet.

Plus we're a huge country with long, wide highways. If you lived in new york and wanted to visit you're relatives in L.A. what would use to get there? A crown victoria or a GTI? (and the vic only costs about $2000 more).
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Old 06-29-2002, 03:39 PM   #56
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

when i say that europe's roads arent suited to exotics i mean:

the cars are too much of a handful for everyday use on the small windy roads that are so common in europe, but european roads ARE perfect if you want to have some fun every so often
Old 06-29-2002, 05:20 PM   #57
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
It's absolute crap to say that Europe's roads arent suited to exotics and the US's are. Twisty mountain roads, found pretty much in every European country are where you want to drive your supercar, not highways.

Its the same in any big city. Driving a supercar/exotic car is just not appropriate, whether its the US or UK. WHat happens in London is that people buy these cars anyway because its obviously a very wealthy city
What?! Every single person I've talked to from Europe has told me that their roads are not very good, especially for low cars.
Not every road, but alot of them.

Whenever people visit here from Europe they say our roads are really smooth and wide compared to theirs which are less maintained and rather bumpy in the cities.

I'm not saying that all the roads in Europe are bad, but I've drivin there and it's not as easy as in the U.S. I can see how you would rather have a higher, smaller car to get around in the city.

People here will drive their exotics anywhere, cause the roads are pretty open everywhere (except for traffic)
I see more in big cities than any other places.

I think it's more of an ego thing here though, a rich guy with a Ferrari won't drive in his eyes, a cheap little car. He'll cruise to work in his 750iL or S500. Then take out his Ferrari when it's sunny and warm out.

Most people here just want to be comfortable, you don't want to be stuck in traffic or driving a long distance in a little car. You would rather be in a roomy car, with comfortable leather seats, and all the luxuries, like somebody mentioned before.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #58
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

by saying europes roads are not suited to exotics i mean that the cars are a handful for every day use on the twisty roads, but the roads are perfect for occasional use
Old 06-29-2002, 09:05 PM   #59
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
...deleted...

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans

Last edited by Jimster; 12-07-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:26 AM   #60
crayzayjay
CFA

gang$tarr>

First of all we have to establish whether exotics are made to be driven in the city or on twisty roads. Here in the Uk the roads in major cities, though overcrowded are perfectly smooth to drive on. Dont be fooled into thinking everyone drives a hatchback, there are thousands of people who cruise to work in their beemers, mercs, porsches etc at an average speed of 5-6 mph. There are also many bendy roads around here to drive your fast car on, which unless ive lost my mind is what they were meant for in the first place. Track days are becoming more and more popular, with an increasing number of people buying an out-and-out racer to take on the track at weekends. this is why im saying theres a greater variety, if not in numbers (who knows) of exotics in the UK than ive seen anywhere else.

Pennzoil>
Quote:
by saying europes roads are not suited to exotics i mean that the cars are a handful for every day use on the twisty roads, but the roads are perfect for occasional use
I dont really agree with that. First of all no one really drives flat out in their exotic on these twisties EVERY DAY, and when they decide to put their foot down they're driving the car like its meant to be drive. Even supercars nowadays are relatively easy to drive on ANY ROAD (if youre not pushing) so i think the roads in the UK at least are perfectly suited to them.

Quote:
But G$ is right a majority of the cars here in Italy are FIAT Panda's and hatchbacks, but there are a few nice Lancia's, Maserati's and Ferrari's here and there
I dont think that many people who live in the States appreciate small cars. Ok, leaving out the panda there are very many hatchbacks that would teach some of the American manufacturers a thing or two about making cars

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons