Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:55 AM   #1
Mumm
AF Regular

Tiburon V.S. Celica

I am thinking of buying a 2000 Toyota Celica GT (or GT-S if I can find one reasonably priced) As of right now I have a 1999 Tiburon FX and am very dissapoined with it. It has been nothing but dumping money into the car form when I bought it only 2 moths ago, and the old toyota that I traded in on it, all i ever did in like two or three years was changing the liquids, 2 sets of brakes and one set of tires- OVER 3 YEARS!

But which is better the Celica or Tiburon?

I figure I could get around 6-8 grand for my car (49,000 miles on it)
How much more do I have to scrape up for the Celica? ( I would Prefer the GT-S)
But I would settle for a GT.
Mumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:11 AM   #2
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: Tiburon V.S. Celica

i would rather get a second gen tiburon. you might of just got a bad car cuz i never heard anything bad of tibs except that they are hyundai. plus, celicas are a girls car. but if you do get the celica, get a gt instead of a gt-s. the gt-s is just a gt with all the luxury options, so more weight, and we dont want that.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
Type_Race
AF Newbie

I think the GT-S has 40 more horsepower compare to the GT
Type_Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:44 AM   #4
Type_Race
AF Newbie

Well, the kelley blue book value for a 1999 tiburon is $6,175 - $7,225. If you gonna trade it in, you probably won't get any where near that. The kelley blue book for a 2000 celica is $11,350 - $13,800. I think celicas looks girlie too. Its up to you.
Type_Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:59 AM   #5
TatII
AF Fanatic

hmmmm you really think a GTS is just a GT with more weight? well they both weight around 2500lbs, the GT-S has a 6 speed instead of a 5, it also have a 180hp engine instead of a 140hp engine, its also got 4 wheel disc brakes instead of cheap drums in the rear, it also somes with larger and wider wheels compared to the cheap GT hub caps, even the optional alloys look cheap on the GT. all in all, the GT is a POS in my eyes. atleast the GT-S is respectable.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

i would have to go w/ the celica... toyota put more technology into the engine... with the vvt-i and the vvtl... compared to the tiburon... also i have heard that the interior in the tib was cheaper than the celicas, though i have never been in a tiburon... does the tib come with a 6 speed?
ghetto7o2azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
TatII
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto7o2azn
i would have to go w/ the celica... toyota put more technology into the engine... with the vvt-i and the vvtl... compared to the tiburon... also i have heard that the interior in the tib was cheaper than the celicas, though i have never been in a tiburon... does the tib come with a 6 speed?
the tiburon does come with a 6 speed, and the tiburons interior is built better then the celicas. i was extremely impressed with the build quality of that car, and was disappointed by how cheap the materials were used to make the celica. the freaking vents and hvac controls were all mechanical!?!?wtf.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 12:30 AM   #8
Land Shark
AF Newbie

Comparing the Tiburon 2.0 Litre 4 to the Celica 1.8 Litre 4. The Tiburon and the Celica are equal at 140 hp, but the Celica has the Lexus made Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence. The GT-S Celica puts out 180 hp
and really isnt any heavier from my experience. It uses the same 1.8 Litre 4 but adds Lift Intelligence to the valve timing. Both models I tested were 5 speed standards, and the celica Gt-S is a 6 speed standard.

I havent gotten to try out the new Tib GT's. These are V6 vehicles, but like hell if you can find any around this hole that I live.

Personally I would choose the 03 (or 04 if you can find it) Tib GT.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #9
EmeraldPrelude
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EmeraldPrelude

As a "chick", I still dont like those Celica's. The newer Tiburon is a beautiful car, and the V6 puts out better performance than the Celica.
EmeraldPrelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
ledfut
AF Newbie

New Tiburon is night-and-day from the older ones...

I test-drove the new Tib V-6 with the 6 speed and really-really liked it. Although it does not have a tweaked out engine (the same one as in the Sonata) it accelerates with turbine-like smoothness and the 6 speed keeps it in it's power range. It is quite heavy for it's size (3,000 lb) but handles beautifully. The only drawback for me: it's a gas-hog like my wife's Sonata. Just go and test-drive a new one; They're sharp-looking and you'll be favorably impressed.
Best Wishes, the Jeff the "ledfut"
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:54 PM   #11
jaronervin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jaronervin

I don't know about hyundai, but toyota offers a relatively strong aftermarket background for the celica, which you may or may not find important.
jaronervin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons